1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Interconnects - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by potterd, Sep 26, 2004.

1. potterd

potterd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm setting up an AV system based on the Tag AV32R feeding PMC OB1s with Bryston Powerpac 120 making them active speakers. I'm now looking around for potential interconnect cable 6m in length that will terminate with faceplates in the wall behind the speakers.

Does anyone have any suggestions for any suitable cable?

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Potterd,
    You could try Atlas Voyager. They would work out at £209 per pair. Excellent quality cable. Certainly worth a look.
    Alternatively you could try making your own? Check out the cables forum for advice.
    HTH

3. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Potterd
    have a look at www.vdctrading.co.uk they can make up any length of interconnect that may need.

Or check out Mark Grant's powerbuy on interconnects he'll also be able to help you out.

:)

4. potterd

potterd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. The vdctrading cables appear to have quite high capacitance levels for line level cables. The Atlas looks like the best option so far although it is difficult to convince myself that I should spend £600 on the front 3 cables! Also, for that price, Bryston themselves can provide the same length of their recommended interconnect. I have emailed Mark Grant as you suggested, SamirP.

Another manufacturer that offers long line level cable is QED with their Quinex 2 cable which is a more reasonable £80 for 6m. However, this too has a high capacitance rating.

Dave

5. potterd

potterd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From reading further on various internet sites it seams that a suitable cable would be a sheilded twisted pair microphone cable. This provides the electrical properties required for line levels with the sheilding required for the relatively long cable lengths. The Belden 8422 or, for a paired cable, 1080A is designed for such a purpose. I have seen reviews of the latter by users with a similar system to my own who have compared it to £150 interconnects (the raw Belden cable being in the region of £2 per metre) and have thrown away their expensive interconnects.

Therefore I will, most probably, get hold of some of this cable and try it out. Will let you know the results when I have them.

Dave

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In your price and quality range,you might also try some of the lower priced Kimber interconnects,which can be made up to any required length by the Uk distributor.
    I use a pair of 3m PBJ interconnects for positioning my Krells close to the speakers,and they work well....plenty of detail,and reasonable price.
    www.russandrews.com

7. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use cheap CAT5 cable with Madnat connectors at either end. I can't tell the difference between a 10 meter CAT5 cable and mid priced 50 cm RCA cables on my system (Arcam A32, Halo A52, Quad 12L).

The advantage of this is when you need a shorter or longer length cables latter on it is a simple process to rewire it yourself.

CaM