1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Haul Flights

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by General Skanky, Aug 11, 2005.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I may be travelling to the USA for a few days in Sept.

Basically, what is it like on the Airbus A330 - 300?

I think we're going econonmy class. Is that bad legroom wise?

I don't think we can get more space unless we take out a small mortgage and go fist class. :)

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Legroom varies depending on which airline you are using.
    AA (American Airlines) provide a little more legroom than most (and advertise the fact).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  4. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    They shouldn't release any emergency exit seats prior to the day of departure. By law, the persons occupying the seats must be fit and able to open the doors in an emergency. Therefore, they must see you before they allocate those seats.

If you check in early enough you're in with a chance. If you fly Virgin, they'll charge you a few quid extra for the privilege! £50 on our flight to SF. Worth it though! :smashin:

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Wouldn't pay extra for that experience myself but then they say you shouldn't knock it until you've tried it.
    Do they paint the plane pink too ?

Airbus A330/340 are really comfortable planes, quieter than Boeing 767 and usually the In Flight Entertainment is more comprehensive - seat back screens, nintendo games, multiple film channels and so on, plus the bird's eye camera to watch take-offs and landings.
    Depending on which airline you settle on - it may be worth trying to upgrade to Premium Economy rather than Economy - on account of your height. Often if you join the frequent flyer programme and arrive late ( but not too late ! ) you will be upgraded to PE or if you are very lucky - to Business or First.
    It helps if you dress smart casual and are travelling without children.
    Try BMI. :)

6. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if you want to take off on time and have food and be able to get off at the far end avoid BA :)

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Erm... dont get your comment on food & BA? I am flying to Glasgow with BA at the moment on a weekly basis and even on that short a flight there is always food of some description. Personally I prefer their snack food to their meals but then I have never been on any flight that I can remember loving the food.

All aspects of a flight depend on the airline you are flying with (leg room, entertainment provided, food/drink etc) - given I am a short arse I must say I dont really notice the leg room differences so cant say which are the best for you

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    err.......have you been watching the News lately?

9. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm 6'4" and on every airline I've tried, I can fit into the seats fine, until the ignorant person in front decides to recline several feet!! I usually spend the first 15 minutes with my arm against their seat, so forcing them back when they try! :mad:

If you get to check-in mega early then you'll be able to get the exit seats (or ask for bulkhead, they have legroom too).

I've always fancied premium economy (Virgin flights - loads of legroom and bigger seats!), until I saw the price. Something like 7 times more expensive. Whats 'economy' about that?! :eek: Still, the pain of long-haul I reckon its worthwhile!!

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've endured the hell of a 737 to Cyprus for 5 hrs and I almost slaughtered the entire passenger list in my fury and agony. :) So I know what could 'possibly' be waiting for me.

The guy I'm going with has done the long haul before, and said never again about economy! :D

Enhanced Economy isn't even available, and the next one is business class at £1500+ or so. No thanks.

I'll check in now then to get a good seat. :D

11. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I'm 6'3" and never had any complaints on legroom in Virgin's 747's across the pond. Best ever still, was a Continental 777 though.

12. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    You can't beat Upper Class, Business Class, or First Class for long haul. Not worth it for anything under 5 hours I would say....Although I still prefer Upper Class (Virign)...Especially if you are only going for a few days....And it is even better when you have kids with you, the frightning look on the faces of some snobs (who's company is paying and not themself anyway) when you walk with kids in the lounge and then towards the nose or Upper Deck...Priceless :)

I avoid emergency exits like the plague too cold for me....but it was a long time ago since I sat in that part of the plane...

13. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I read the news a couple of minutes after posting - typical