Long extendable TV wall mounts - any experiences?

smdntn

Standard Member
Looking for any opinions and experiences with long extendable wall mounts. Hoping to get the upcoming 42 OLED for the living room, which will sit in an alcove. my thoughts are to get a wall mount where the TV can be pulled out for better viewing distance but is tucked away nicely for general room use.

I've found a few that are 100cm, but really get very little reviews or information online. This is currently on Amazon, but always a little sceptical. Wondered if anyone had used or heard of Forging Mount wall brackets.

Richer sounds sell Sanus brackets and the longest they make extends to 71cm. I'd prefer to go with a brand that RS stocks, but not sure that 71cm out will provide enough of a difference to make extending meaningful, particularly at £200+.

Would be grateful for any thoughts. Cheers!

mikej

You would need something pretty substantial to extend out 1m, so you're right to be cautious. You would also need sound walls in order for the base of it to be secure enough to take the forces exerted on it when fully extended although, admittedly, the size of TV you're looking at probably makes this less of an issue than a much larger, heavier TV would be.

Personally, I wouldn't want the hassle of having to drag the TV around every time I wanted to watch it and would look seriously at alternatives if I was in your position, including rearranging the room or even taking out a fireplace but it depends on your room layout and where your priorities lie, I guess.

Is 42" the biggest TV you can fit into the alcove ? Would a corner unit accommodate a larger TV and avoid the need for an extending bracket ?

smdntn

Standard Member
You would need something pretty substantial to extend out 1m, so you're right to be cautious. You would also need sound walls in order for the base of it to be secure enough to take the forces exerted on it when fully extended although, admittedly, the size of TV you're looking at probably makes this less of an issue than a much larger, heavier TV would be.

Personally, I wouldn't want the hassle of having to drag the TV around every time I wanted to watch it and would look seriously at alternatives if I was in your position, including rearranging the room or even taking out a fireplace but it depends on your room layout and where your priorities lie, I guess.

Is 42" the biggest TV you can fit into the alcove ? Would a corner unit accommodate a larger TV and avoid the need for an extending bracket ?

Thanks very much for your reply. It's certainly given me a lot to think about.

That was my thinking, but came to a similar conclusion re the size of the TV. Victorian house; some of the bricks are solid, some just disintegrate once a drill goes anywhere near them!

Room layout is pretty immovable due to the entranceway and existence of a bay window. Don't plan on staying here forever and so the fireplace with wood burner is such a nice feature of the victorian house that I'd hate to remove. Unfortunately the victorians weren't building with fitting large OLED TVs in mind!

I'm now thinking I probably don't want the hassle and risk of it, especially with a TV costing as much as it does. The 71cm Sanus from Richer Sounds might potentially offer a greater quality, but spending £200+ doesn't really seem worth it. I have a projector in the converted loft room and so the living room is for casual use & next gen gaming. I think I'll just plan to sit closer for gaming and have a little bit less stress that the TV ends up on the floor pulling half the wall with it!

sw00shb0y

Novice Member
Looking for any opinions and experiences with long extendable wall mounts. Hoping to get the upcoming 42 OLED for the living room, which will sit in an alcove. my thoughts are to get a wall mount where the TV can be pulled out for better viewing distance but is tucked away nicely for general room use.

I've found a few that are 100cm, but really get very little reviews or information online. This is currently on Amazon, but always a little sceptical. Wondered if anyone had used or heard of Forging Mount wall brackets.

Richer sounds sell Sanus brackets and the longest they make extends to 71cm. I'd prefer to go with a brand that RS stocks, but not sure that 71cm out will provide enough of a difference to make extending meaningful, particularly at £200+.

Would be grateful for any thoughts. Cheers!
I recently bought this one from Amazon for a 65" Sony:
Amazon product

I had a similar issue to you – the alcove next to a chimney breast was the only location for the TV. The length of this mount enables the TV to be extended and angled. I keep it in this position, so don't keep putting it back against the wall, but it is easy enough to move if you wanted to.

I looked at a whole load of mounts and reviews – it had to be long so that the screen could be angled and still clear the chimney breast. This one had very good reviews and I am extremely happy with it. It feels incredibly strong and secure – absolutely no wobble when the tv is mounted and moving it feels very safe and secure also.

I attached this into a brick wall and the whole process was straight forward :)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom