1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long DVI Cable

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by orion76, Mar 10, 2003.

1. orion76

orion76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently installed an Optoma H56 projector in my living room and I'm using a HTPC to play my DVD's.

I'd like to use a DVI cable instead of the VGA cable I am using now but I can't find any cable in the length I need in my area.

The length I need is roughly 12 meters/30ft. Is it at all possible to use a DVI cable this long and does anyone know a reliable website that sells them for a reasonable price?

thanks

2. selexus

selexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried www.lindy.co.uk ?
    I recently bought a 10m DVI cable from them.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I had really mixed results with Lindy dvi cables. The 10meter 1 tried showed "sparklies" that is missing white pixels,, after I phoned Lindy tech they agreed for me to return it with a handling charge if they found nothing wrong, they didn't (suprise:confused: ), in the mean time I re routed the cable so I could get away with a 7.5meter instead and thats fine.

I know others have no problems with 10m cables but I did and I'm not alone. Lindy put it down to too high res and incompatibilty with the video card, mines a Radeon 9500 so not a cheapy.

Use the shortest you can get away with.:lesson:

4. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a 10m DV cable and 10m DV extension from Lindy as I needed a 16m run. Cables turned up from Lindy promptly the next day and were of very high quality. I had to cut 1 plug off the cable by severing a few inches down the cable itself, in order to channel the cable easily through the walls (I hate exposed cabling). I wouldn't recommend this operation to anyone who's not reasonably proficient with a soldering iron and who doesn't posses bags of patience, as it took me about an hour to reconnect the severed 'limb'. Very fiddly operation, as the cables are extremely well shielded and protected. Anyway, I see no degradation in the 20m cable run and am happy with the end result.

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi John,

Where did you end up buying you DVI cable from

Peter

6. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    'from Lindy'

BTW - After reading this thread I tried messing with the display adapter in my HTPC. I do seem to get quite bad spaklies at refresh rates above 60Hz with the 20m (extended) cable, so I shortened the extension to 5m. I still got spaklies at anything over 60Hz.

That said, a refresh rate of 60Hz seems perfectly adequate. I can't see any improvement at higher rates with a 10m cable on its own so have it set to 60Hz with the 20m cable. The quality is massively better than S-Video.

Anyone know what the optimum refresh rate is for the HS10?

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    50 / 60 tops, I suspect, these fixed panel things don't like the frequencies CRTs can do (tearrrring), are you sure the 'sparklies' are due to DVI? Are you using it to transfer analogue or digital signals?

8. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought that it could have been RF interference, but it disappears at 10m with the un-extended cable and at far higher refresh rates too. & Its definitely digital out of a Radeon 9700 Pro.

9. phosty

phosty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 10m lindy dvi cable. Well, I actually ordered the 10m extension by mistake and then got the right cable. So while I had both I tried connecting them in series. At 800x600 60Hz (into a Plus Piano) I got sparkles at 20m. At 10m no problems.

As an aside, I noted that the sparkles were only present in certain colours - the white and black and dark blue areas of the W2K logon screeen but not the light blue background. Also, they tended to appear in grid pattern.

10. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Exactly the same here. I'd bet that the connection in the middle really degrades things. Does anyone do a straight 20m DVI cable?

11. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes Lindy as someone has already said, actually bought it from Nexnix and as a side bonus they dont charge delivery. I didn't want to confuse the issue with ordering as econd cable from Lindy while waiting for the rfeund to go through.

I was only trying to run 56hz on my HS10 although it was quite a high res of 1368*768. Some people seem to be okay with a 10m with this combination. Lindy put it down to a mismatch between the combination of videocard/cable/displaydevice/refreshrate/resolution. Luck of the draw then it would seem as people with the same pj with the same res and refresh rate but a lower quality grpahics card than mine have it working okay over 10m (or they dont notice the sparklies).

I only noticed it in the really dark areas of a picture, probably because Liondy described the white spaklies as "missing pixels" so by definition will be colourless or white and will be difficult to notice against lighter colours.

I thought that too and tried the 10m cable routed straight to the projector instead of near to any other cables (as the 7.5m one is now) and still got the same problem.

56hz is the native refreash using 1368*768. You'll need Powerstrip to set it up though.

12. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi John

A bit confused. Phoned NexNixs and they get their cable from Lindy and charge £5 dilivery

I ended up ordering from Lindy

13. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I knew Nexnix used Lindy because I borrowed a 7.5m form them when they lent me a pj for the night and I knew this length worked okay so I ordered from them so as to avoid confusuion while the 10m one was sorted out by LIndy themselves.

re delivery: I must have been lucky:D

14. joz8968

joz8968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector whose DVI-I input is being fed digital upscaled video from the DVI-D output of a Zinwell Brite View Pro BLS-3000 video scaler/processor.

The cable is a 10-metre Lindy DVI-D<>DVI-D SLD (Super Long Distance).

It is capable of resolving VGA 640x480, SVGA 800x600 and XGA 1024x768 (all at 60Hz) with no problems at all. However, it displays SXGA 1280x1024@60Hz with those dreaded sparklies.

Does anyone have practical experience of a cable capable of resolving this latter rate (and the all-important 1080i) over 10m. I've heard that the new 2nd generation Supra HF100 range are HDMI.org certified and are, if I'm correct, engineered to resolve 1920x1080i over 15 metres(?!)...

Any experienced adviced will be hugely, gratefully received.

15. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Damn I wish I'd read this a few days before. My Lindy DVI-HDMI cable will arrive tomorrow and will be pushing 1280x720p. Unless they have upgraded the cable for HD then I think I'll be seeing sparklies too.

16. joz8968

joz8968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try it and see. As mentioned in my original post, the cable easily resolved 1024x768p @ 60Hz. So I reckon you'll be okay at 720p.

If it doesn't work, then just send it back to Lindy using their returns form from their website. Just mention on the form that 'it doesn't meet your requirements' as the reason and you'll be okay (I'm currently in the process of sending mine back using that facility/reason...)

17. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Just recieved my cable and plugged it in. Turn on my HTPC and first thoughts are not good. The desktop image is just too sharp! :eek: Where as before the back ground image was smooth and easy on the eye with VGA the HDMI makes it look, erm, digital lol.

I put some HD Gladiator 1080i on while the VGA is still connected to do some side by side comparisons and the same happens here. VGA gives a more Cinema film look about it. Yes the HDMI is sharper, has deeper blacks, better colours and a less faded look to it.

So I've gone into the HS60s menus and found the sharpness controle, something VGA doesn't have and turned it all the way down. Now things look better. It may take some getting use to but I guess I'll stick with HDMI.

No sparklys by the way so all is good.:clap:

18. joz8968

joz8968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I know exactly what you mean - I concur with your sentiments entirely.

HDMI/DVI does resolve more detail - no downgrading (softening) of the signal with A/D - D/A conerversion. Perveresly, this (can) make the image look more like studio-shot video, rather than 35mm/70mm film(!)

I agree that you should probably soften the image with the sharpness control for a more film-like image.

It doesn't help matters that a lot of the MPEG2 programming on the various digital platforms (and less than perfect DVD transfers) contain horrendous artifacts beacause of low compression rates. Because HDMI/DVI resolves more detail, it highlights all the crap contained within the image as well...

19. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Been playing alot switching between cables while playing either Gladiator or Fifth Element both 720p but I reached a decision and now feel enclined to keep the VGA cable.

This comes as a bit of a shock to me as I thought HDMI would as least be AS good as VGA. But VGA just looks more natual, the textures look real and the brightness and contrast look spot on.

I'm not saying HDMI looks bad just VGA looks life like. Its a shame I've just spent £75 lol to find this out.

20. joz8968

joz8968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ah, that's a shame. I do empathise though.