1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long DVI cable to projector (Lindy 10m+)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by AndyDD, Dec 18, 2004.

1. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I've been having a search to see if this question has already been asked etc., sorry if it already has.

I currently connect my Denon 2900 to my Infocus 5700 using a 10m component cable from Maplin, cost ~£30.
    I've borrowed a 10m DVI cable (with adapter) from a friend and have connected my PC to the projector. For DVD I couldn't get the picture size ratio quite right and the quality didn't seem better.
    I compared the 10m DVI to my 2m VGA for playing games, and the DVI was MUCH better (very sharp).
    I will eventually replace the 2900 with a digital output player, but occasionally would use the DVI o/p from my PC for games.
    The advertisement at Lindy states that their cables are made to allow lengths over 7.5m. Anyone know if a 15m DVI cable from Lindy would be worse than using 10m component (both in the bottom price range I guess). Do I really need to use a repeater?

I've personally never seen/heard evidence to make me believe spending ££££'s more on video or audio cables of the same 'type' is necessary.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    on DVI long lengths can lead to "sparklies" drop JOE F at TMF a line as he is the DVi HDMI man for cables imports cables from US to UK and has experience of long runs....

3. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Visit the Monster cable site - they do a "no frill' DVI cable of about 12 metres.

The no frill bit is onluy in the packaging - the cable are excellent - I have the 12 metre from my TAG dvd to my projector and it works fine.

Caleb.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    AndyDD

Lots of points raised in your post.

01. DVI vs. Component – I'd be amazed if a ‘regular' PC/Graphics Card combination was anywhere near as good as a DVD-2900 for video playback, no matter if you were using Digital or Analogue interconnects.

02. DVI over 5m – anything you try (no matter what cable you use) is a step into the darkness of DVI connectivity; once you go over 5m your relying on the Digital cable + DVI receiver in your projector.

03. With a decent quality cable you may be able to go to 10m+ - then again you may have to use a DVI repeater in the system to boost the signal over the long cable length.

04. Digital Video – if you purchase a DVD player with HDMI or DVI with HDCP you'll need to ensure your Projector is HDCP compliant; and that your long Digital cable retains HDCP over that cable length.

Many long DVI cables will introduce visible artifacts (sparklies), simply not produce an image or produce an image but not with HDCP sources.

I've supplied lots of the BetterCables Display Magic and the NEW Display Magic II Digital cables (along with Gefen DVI2M1 adapters) to InFocus owners – see http://www.hdmiplanet.com

Best regards

Joe

5. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all very much for your replies.
    Looks like I shall stick with analogue connections for now.

I'll check out hdmiplanet (lots to learn)