Long distance HDMI using SDI Cable (Belden 1694a) and converters such as the Decimator MD-LX

SomersetCookie

Standard Member
I understand this works up to 100m or more, I have certainly used them in the past to send video signals from Cameras and laptops to projectors and TVs up to 60m with no problems, but I'm not sure if audio is carried with the HDMI video signal. I just need to extend a sky box out to a marquee with a TV, but need audio as well as video. Do any of you clever chaps know?

D

Deleted member 24354

Dont know about the Decimators but the BLACKMAGIC MINI CONVERTER SDI TO HDMI certainly does

SomersetCookie

Standard Member
Thanks Mushii, The Decimators are basically the same but also bi-directional. I have just had an answer from someone else confirming that they do. I'd better get on with getting the cable through the roof now.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
The Decimator doesnt carry HDCP so it wont work with SKY content.

A few other ways

HDBaset (HDMI over Cat6) extender set, carries both HDCP video, audio and Infrared, up to 100m (1080p)

around £400

If more like 70m then comes down to

around £200

HD Modulator converts HDMI to a Freeview HD channel over coax (aerial cable) that can then be picked up as new channel on a TV with a HD tuner.

Approx £150 plus cable

I did have a product called HDOverAnyWire, that worked over any coax cable including speaker wire and supported HDCP 1.2, 1080p and IR and distances up to 600m .

I will have to dig through some boxes and see if I still have any left from the samples i bought, as worked really well but no market for it.

If i have an old unit you can have it for £195 (transmitter and receiver)

1617814146417.png

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Found one, and the specification

1). HDMI over 2-conductor cable
(Such as Twisted cable, telephone cable, Cat5e/6/7 cable etc)
2). With 1x Loop HDMI output at transmitter
3). Transmission more than 600m
4). Support Multi-level cascading
5). HDMI Resolution up to 1080p
6). HDCP 1.4 compliant
7). IR pass-through control

Input 1x HDMI; 2x wire
Outputs 2x HDMI; 2x wire
Box Dimensions 315mm[L] x 250mm [W] x 58mm[H]

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Modulators are usually used in conjunction with standard Aerial feed for other freeview HD channels so the distance is usually more to do with the aerial than the modulator. 100m should however be fine but also very dependent on the quality of the aerial cable used as all down to attenuation and loss.

SomersetCookie

Standard Member
Found one, and the specification

1). HDMI over 2-conductor cable
(Such as Twisted cable, telephone cable, Cat5e/6/7 cable etc)
2). With 1x Loop HDMI output at transmitter
3). Transmission more than 600m
4). Support Multi-level cascading
5). HDMI Resolution up to 1080p
6). HDCP 1.4 compliant
7). IR pass-through control

Input 1x HDMI; 2x wire
Outputs 2x HDMI; 2x wire
Box Dimensions 315mm[L] x 250mm [W]

Modulators are usually used in conjunction with standard Aerial feed for other freeview HD channels so the distance is usually more to do with the aerial than the modulator. 100m should however be fine but also very dependent on the quality of the aerial cable used as all down to attenuation and loss.
any recommendations on modulator to use? I may also be interested in your HDoveranywire, how do I go about getting that from you?

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
couple of tips if using modulator, or the HDAnyWirebox, you will need to change SKy audio settings to PCM audio (or normal) rather than the default Auto, otherwise you wont get the correct sound on the remote TV on some channels. Some sky channels are delivered in dolby surround via the HDMI and the modulator cannot decode that.

Similar for the video set it to 1080i(p) rather than using Auto

SomersetCookie

Standard Member
couple of tips if using modulator, or the HDAnyWirebox, you will need to change SKy audio settings to PCM audio (or normal) rather than the default Auto, otherwise you wont get the correct sound on the remote TV on some channels. Some sky channels are delivered in dolby surround via the HDMI and the modulator cannot decode that.

Similar for the video set it to 1080i(p) rather than using Auto
Will do, again thanks for your help (every day's a school day even at my ripe old age). HB Litherland have the Triax Mod103T at £115 plus VAT so I think that is my best option with some high quality Coax.

D

Deleted member 24354

How far is the dish from the Marquee? Can you get to the dish easily ? Cheapest solution is just to move the Sky HD box into the Marquee and run a length of shotgun RG6 from the dish LNB to the marquee. Depending on length it will probably cost you around £30

SomersetCookie

Standard Member
How far is the dish from the Marquee? Can you get to the dish easily ? Cheapest solution is just to move the Sky HD box into the Marquee and run a length of shotgun RG6 from the dish LNB to the marquee. Depending on length it will probably cost you around £30
unfortunately the Sky Box is in a rack connected to a Kramer HDMI matrix switcher and serves other TVs and a couple of projectors in a venue. The marquee has been erected to comply with current restrictions over Covid allowing outdoor drinking and eating and they want to show upcoming sports events outside in the marquee plus adverts etc. They are now saying that they want to show them on a small stage using a projector and screen, so it has to be HDMI or Composite really.

D

Deleted member 24354

So many ways to do this. HDMI over Ethernet, Hybrid Fibre HDMI Cable, RF Modulator, SDiI to HDMI adapters, HD Base T adapters, HDMI over Ip. Sky Ap on a streaming media device. Pick which technology appeals...

SomersetCookie

Standard Member
Installed yesterday using a HDoveranywire box (supplied by Seb Briggs) with the SKY box and everything worked perfectly using some gel filled CAT5e that I had hanging around. Total distance was 120m (cable length) and resolution at the receiver was 1080p @ 60hz. Customer delighted. Before installing, I tested it with what I had left on the reel which was 212m and it worked over that distance as well. I should add that they wanted to feed the audio into a separate PA system so I used a Neoteck Audio extractor box which also worked perfectly.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom