• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

long distance composite AV transmission

strykerg

Standard Member
Hi all this is my first post here. I tried searching for an answer but I couldn't find so I hope I am not reposting.

I currently have a satellite receiver in my living room and would like to transmit the signal (composite) to my bedroom's CRT tv. Both TV's are pretty much in line of sight (excluding the bedroom door) with a distance of about 18 meters.

So far my options are these:

Run a CAT5 cable of about 30m and use this:
Mini AV video audio extender IR Repeater Sender transmitter and USB Poweradapter | eBay

or just use this:
5.8GHz AV Sender Wireless Transmitter Receiver IR original adapter 200m pat-530 | eBay

My only concern with the wireless transmitter is that I've seen some reviews where people claim that quality is poor and have image issues when using the remote control. I'm not expecting too much since i'm using composite anyway, but wouldn't want the quality to deteriorate. I also have a wireless router near the satellite box so I don't know if that could affect the AV transmitter.

pricewise they are pretty much the same if I include the CAT5 cable and the amount of time it will take me to route it.

maybe someone with experience and can enlighten me ?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘I would have thought RF was the simple answer – lots of well-priced solutions, pretty stable and offers you an IR return path.

Joe

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The cat5 will be more stable. 30M is nothing for composite, it will do 1500m without issue.

If you go wireless, look for a digital system, as these are less prone to interference. 5.8GHz is a double edged sword, as it is less prone to interference, but does not penetrate through walls and even doors as well as 2.4GHz does. 18M is pushing it with these domestic units and many of them suffer from RF instability. Just someone walking around in the room is enough for them to get noisy or unstable.

strykerg

Standard Member
then cat5 it will be. a wireless system seems like a black box where you don't know how it will perform until you try it on your setup, and since I can't find none locally I would get stuck with it if it doesn't work properly. thanks both for your help

Hi

We have a new 5.8Ghz Wireless sender we have just taken on and are looking for reviews and customer feedback.

I could organise you one on a sale or return basis, so you buy it and if it is not suitable just return it within 30 days and we will refund your payment.

If you are interested let me know.

Seb

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom