1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long digital Coax or long component?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by chukkychukky, Oct 26, 2004.

1. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fellow AV junkies!

I'd really appreciate an opinion.

I am connecting my new Infocus X1 PJ to my Sony 725 DVD player via component (already have a 1m Supra AV3), in turn the DVD player is connected to my Denon AVR 3802 Receiver via digital coaxial (I use a 1m profigold PGD 481 - dogs bollo*** IMHO!)

I need a 10 metre video or audio cable to make this work and I have two options :

1) Placing the DVD player on top of the amp = short coax audio cable, long component cable eg Profigold component or TvCables.co.uk cheap one to connect DVD to PJ at back of the room.

2) Placing the DVD player close to the PJ = short component cable (Supra AV3) and long digital Coaxial lead from amp to DVD eg Profigold PGD equivalent long cable found online for about £20!

I can't place all 3 together because of the speaker setup.

Does anyone know where the greater potential for loss of signal is? In a long audio or video cable?

Any advice please!

PjPip, if you reading this, thanks for your advice so far mate, this is another option I came up with for my setup.

Chukkychukky :thumbsup:

2. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    To confuse the issue further, does anyone advocate a long optical (Toslink) cable as a third option?
    What Hifi? dissuaded me from ever trying one out! :nono:

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    If you also have a TV I would go for long component so you have the option of using your TV for viewing DVD over SCART etc.
    I had the same dilema when I got my PJ as one long cable run would be so much cheaper than 4 (I need RGBs) but we use the DVD to view digital pictures and the odd TV show which we don't want to set up the PJ so I decided to pay the extra for the cable.
    Once you have the long video run in you can add a games console etc. and use the amp for video switching re-using the component inputs on the PJ and the expensive lead. The other way around you won't have as much flexibility.
    YMMV :)
    If money is tight then search for "rgb lead" at www.cpc.co.uk for some good quality budget options (prices are +VAT)

4. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had exactly the same question mate when I bought the projector! In the end I decided to keep the equipment by the TV for the reasons AMc has already said. Also toyed with the idea of moving everything to the projector side for maximum quality there and using long runs back to the TV instead.

Finally gave up, went for the long component run (as you know) and put a movie on!!
    Good luck.