Long Covid - Anybody Aware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the government's plan for dealing with this is....

A frightening situation for anyone affected, and will be a continuing burden to the NHS all of it's own.

Obviously a risk for anyone that contracts Covid as well. The potential of it's impact is quite concerning to be honest. And one that remains routinely ignored.

This was always my deepest worry about Covid, and not something you hear people talking about. There's a lot of blase attitude towards contracting the virus, with people saying they've been tipple jabbed etc, and nothing to worry about. I always did my utmost to stay safe, and was intensely disappointed when I picked up the virus last week. I'm hoping to get back to normal at some point.

This was always my deepest worry about Covid, and not something you hear people talking about. There's a lot of blase attitude towards contracting the virus, with people saying they've been tipple jabbed etc, and nothing to worry about. I always did my utmost to stay safe, and was intensely disappointed when I picked up the virus last week. I'm hoping to get back to normal at some point.
Indeed. Someone on another thread likened COVID to ‘the common cold’ now that we have the vaccines.

I can’t remember the last time the common cold gave me bradycardia then tachycardia, palpitations and chest pain, all of which takes forever to resolve.

Edited: to add because I forgot to say, ironically, that my word finding when talking is abysmal.

Still nothing new to update the thread with, the interaction with the long covid clinic now feels like a lifetime ago, my own Dr thinks that my memory issues are due to trauma I may not even be aware of coming from dealing with the impacts of long covid.

Any members of the cult of wordle over in General Chat will have seen me posting there recently, apparently such games can help with mental strengthening, I'm not sure how it helps short term memory issues but it sure is fun. :)

We thought that the number of long Covid cases developing might be lower when most cases were breakthrough cases in the vaccinated, or infections in vaccinated or partially vaccinated children. Sadly, far from any subsidence in new long Covid cases, the big, ongoing caseloads of the Delta, Omicron and BA.2 waves have brought a large cohort of new sufferers.

From published data, the chances of long Covid in those who are vaccinated but suffer breakthrough infections may be halved, but when you apply this to the huge waves we’ve experienced – 3.5 million people infected at a given time – each 3.5 million cases becomes another 175,000 people with long Covid.

These waves have disproportionately affected primary and secondary schools, and many of the new sufferers are children.
Sammie Mcfarland at LongCovidKids.org reports a constant stream of new members across its support services, many developing long Covid after two, three or four bouts of reinfection, having escaped it first time round.

Vaccines are no match for long Covid. Treating it is science's next great challenge | Danny Altmann

And for those saying covid is no different to a cold or the flu.
With such large numbers having been infected at any given time in recent months, many suffering repeat infections at three- or four-week intervals, the potential legacy of chronic, disabling illness is an aspect making this utterly different from most other winter respiratory pathogens – such as flu or colds.

Last edited:
Had a chat with my Dr recently and we had a frank and honest conversation with all of the following now confirmed.

Heart issues, racing heart, unable to do much more than slow walk before it almost trebles
Severe migraines , I have had constant headaches now for over two years.
M.E has now also been diagnosed along with Fibromyalgia.
Cognitive issues, concentration, memory, auditory hallucinations.
Hearing loss, not severe yet but right on the borderline for hearing aids if it continues to degenerate.
Degradation of sight in both eyes, glasses now needed for any type of reading unless the print is super large.

Honest assessment is that all or none may eventually start to get better, too much remains unknown about long covid.

Plus sides though as the scan revealed nothing other than a tiny bladder now, kidney and liver both came back as good.

Still nothing else from the long covid clinic since November.

Had a chat with my Dr recently and we had a frank and honest conversation with all of the following now confirmed.

Heart issues, racing heart, unable to do much more than slow walk before it almost trebles
Severe migraines , I have had constant headaches now for over two years.
M.E has now also been diagnosed along with Fibromyalgia.
Cognitive issues, concentration, memory, auditory hallucinations.
Hearing loss, not severe yet but right on the borderline for hearing aids if it continues to degenerate.
Degradation of sight in both eyes, glasses now needed for any type of reading unless the print is super large.

Honest assessment is that all or none may eventually start to get better, too much remains unknown about long covid.

Plus sides though as the scan revealed nothing other than a tiny bladder now, kidney and liver both came back as good.

Still nothing else from the long covid clinic since November.

I'm sorry to hear all that, it sounds horrendous to cope with.

I think I shared with you some resources earlier in the thread that may be able to help. But sadly the truth is the government don't want to talk about covid anymore; whilst millions of people are still finding it difficult to "live" with.

I'm sorry to hear all that, it sounds horrendous to cope with.

I think I shared with you some resources earlier in the thread that may be able to help. But sadly the truth is the government don't want to talk about covid anymore; whilst millions of people are still finding it difficult to "live" with.
Yes you did and there was some help there but sadly you are correct that the Government does not seem to care in the slightest about any form of covid, long or regular flavour.

One of my colleagues has resigned dues to long covid.

Somewhat alarming stance taken by the EHRC re Long Covid and disability.
People suffering from long Covid have reacted with alarm to comments by government’s equalities watchdog that the condition should not be treated as a disability.

Under the Equalities Act, anyone with a physical or mental impairment that has lasted for longer than 12 months and has substantially impacted their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities, qualifies as disabled and is entitled to protection to ensure that they aren’t discriminated against in the workplace. This includes requesting that their employer makes “reasonable adjustments”, such as flexible working hours or home working, to ensure that they can continue working.

In a tweet posted on Sunday night, the Equalities and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), which was set up to promote and enforce equality and non-discrimination laws said: “Discussions continue on whether ‘long covid’ symptoms constitute a disability. Without case law or scientific consensus, EHRC does not recommend that ‘long covid’ be treated as a disability.”

Alarm after EHRC says long Covid should not be treated as disability

^^^ No of course not, because that means acknowledging that Covid is a long term problem and will then require adequate long term support.

We know already how this government and previous ones don't like to assist with disability.

It also doesn't fit the narrative of "living with covid".

Last edited:
How does one get officially diagnosed with long covid?

How does one get officially diagnosed with long covid?
Lots of honest conversations with Drs and hoping that you get a Dr who believes that Long Covid even exists.

Lots of honest conversations with Drs and hoping that you get a Dr who believes that Long Covid even exists.
Thanks. My mrs is pushing me to go get “tested” I know I have it as it’s been over 18 months and still not back to normal. But it’s is getting better very slowly.

Yep, I was reading about all that earlier.

I kept getting told there was a plan for living with Covid. It seems some (primarily the government) have a "misunderstanding" of what the word "plan" actually means.

And exacerbated health inequalities will only lead to worse outcomes for all.

I can only use my own experience which is no contact with the clinic since November, the online course which is only six sessions missed me completely on session one and 30 minutes of session two as they forgot to actually tell me when they were.

The course is also brutally honest, we have no cure, no medication that has been proven to work so all we can really do is try to help you live with it, to manage it in the best way possible.

My age range and ethnicity also seem to preclude me from being desirable for any of the long covid trials, I put myself forward over eighteen months ago after hearing they were crying out for volunteers from the first wave.

A Long Covid Story.

And it is long, but well worth a read. Quite unbelievable to be honest.

"I went to bed in March 2020 with a sore throat… I now walk with crutches and require a wheelchair for any long distances.

Our governments desperately need to wake up to the reality of this. Our UK strategy for LC as a nation is woeful.
"

Doctors who worked on the frontline during the pandemic and have been left with long Covid say they have been denied financial support by the UK government, with some left with little option but to sell their house.

Months or even years after an initial Covid infection some people continue to have symptoms, from fatigue to brain fog. According to the Office for National Statistics, as of 1 May an estimated 2 million people in the UK reported having long Covid, as the condition is known.

Now healthcare staff in the UK have told the Guardian that despite being left with serious impairments as a result of long Covid, they have been turned down for personal independence payment (Pip), a non means-tested benefit helping people with the extra living costs of their chronic illness or disability.

UK doctors with long Covid say they have been denied disability benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom