Long Covid - Anybody Aware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure I’m suffering from a mild form of long Covid.

Entire family had Covid in March 2020 after my GP wife kindly bought it home from work (sharing is caring)! Had it bad enough to question whether I was going to survive, but came through it eventually - returned to work after a couple of months (though TBH that was too soon, as I suffered extreme fatigue, and it was, for a few weeks, taking me two attempts just to climb the stairs, I’d have to stop halfway for a breather).

Anyway, fast forward to today, and my sense of smell still isn’t right, every now and then I can smell burning (right now as it happens, which led me to search out his thread). And I still get exhausted at the least amount of exertion, I can walk OK, but anything more than that, and I’m wiped out for the rest of the day! This was never the case pre-Covid.

Very much not as bad as others seem to be struggling with, but it’s certainly had an adverse effect on my life.

This virus is a real bitch!

I've only just discovered this part of the forum (I've been on here for years but only used it historically for tech advice/chat).

I'll spend a bit of time going through this thread over the weekend.

I got hit pretty hard with Covid back in January. My daughter had suspected Covid over Christmas as the did the rest of the family (apart from my youngest boy). I don't live with them anymore but we're all close.
I had no symptoms over this period. I took my daughter to get tested...and shared a car with her coughing pretty ferociously during the 15 min car journey.

A week later I was a week in a new job. Felt rough on the Sunday and by Monday wasn't feeling great. Ended up at my desk wearing lots of layers and my 'Parka' coat. Last meeting of the day was 4:30 to meet a new colleague (zoom). Managed to drum up the energy to speak and hint at my usual vitality but after the call finished I just collapsed on the sofa and it got progressively worse. Managed to make a test the next day which soon returned positive.
Ended up being bed bound for nigh on two weeks, akin to 'proper flu' but with this horrific cough and lethargy that I'd never experienced before.

For a bit of context, the week before I'd just run a half marathon as I'm a runner (planning a full marathon this year). Ran 3-4 times a week with regularly trips to the gym (eat healthy, barely drink and take all the vits).

All those discussions over struggling to make stairs with shopping is exactly the same as I experienced. Felt like I was in my mid 80's with poor health (I'm 48).

About three months afterwards I thought I'd try a light run (didn't feel like it but wanted to resume).
Struggled to run, wheezing and almost walking pace (my 5k time is 20:50 so hardly a snail).
About 15 mins in my heart rate suddenly jumped so high that it stopped me in my tracks and I was on my knees literally thinking my heart was about to pack in (horrible feeling).

That was the last run I did. Then about two months ago I went to play 'very light tennis' with my children on a local park court. I was barely moving, just the occasional run for a ball. Same thing happened again....was on my knees with my heart arrhythmic/erratic, high tempo and palpitations (very light headed too).

What's happened since is I've been back at the gym (I go with my daughter) and I've slowly grown my strength back but laid off the cardio. In the past few days I've considered trying a small run again (the downside to this is I've put shed loads of weight back on).

I've spoken to many runners along my old route who have regaled similar stories.
A guy at work I spoke to the other day (marathon runner) took a year before he could resume post covid.

Not sure where the thoughts are up to on this thread, so I'll go and take a look, but understand how utterly frustrating it can be when some think this is 'made up' etc.

It's royally f***ed me up.

Finally have a video appointment with the long covid clinic booked, now maybe I can see what the plan is going forward maybe?

Also have a self referred appointment with Talking Therapies booked in too, it all happens at once or not at all :laugh:

:clap:

Two appointments down and we have a way forward.

It is now agreed that my physical and mental condition precludes me from continuing in the long covid programme set up by the NHS and I will be moved over to a new programme (actually not new as the Dr told me they were shown both at Christmas and then told theyt could only use the NHS one) he assures me this prgoramme will be more suiotable for me.

I also will be booked in for some medical tests face to face at last, he is thinking as my recovery is so slow that covid has activated in me either CFS or ME, not the news I wanted but something I have been sadly suspecting for a while, he also believes that there is lingering virus somewhere in the brain causing issues as well that cannot be reached with any current medical techniques.

Not the conversations I was honestly expecting but a more realistic appraoch is welcomed for sure.

It is progress.

Good luck.

I was told by my doctor that its not worth being referred to a covid clinic as its just physio therapy!

As a supermarket owner we have continued to be on the front line right from the very beginning of this. I took it on myself along with my brother and our managers to man the doors and limit entry at the start of the pandemic. We knew this was putting us at greater risk but didn’t feel right making staff do this.

Anyway roll forward to May’20 and I caught the virus without knowing it, only got a headache for about 4 days but as I did suffer them regularly I never thought anything of it but within the week the son and wife showed symptoms with the son taking it quite bad though not needing hospitalisation. As soon as it was confirmed we all isolated.

Son improved over the next 6 days and the wife like me didn’t get it bad at all. About 6 weeks later different effects on our bodies started to happen, in my case headaches and calf cramp which lasted for about 5-6 weeks, then over the next months up till Jan’21 at different times there was joint pain, insomnia, dizzy and the weirdest one which was like the very nerve ends on my head were so sensitive, even the slightest touch of my hair was extremely sore. None of these symptoms lasted more than 2-3 weeks at a time but one constant one was regular low oxygen levels ranging from 95 down to 89.

The son and wife and also had all of the above as well as losing the nails on both big toes which turned black and then fell off, the wife also suffered hair lose too. One thing I never suffered but has affected both of them is high heart rates despite sitting doing absolutely nothing, the other day the son who’s disabled woke and shouted on his mum to check his heart rate as he felt it was racing, it read 149bpm and this lasted for 2 hrs, this happens regularly and today the wife’s rate was at 130bpm.

The doctor get all of bloods checked out and they found the son’s iron levels had dropped like a stone, the wife had an overacting thyroid and mine showed high cholesterol which is most bizarre as in the past mine has been extremely low and I’m a regular gym goer 3 times a week and eat a healthy diet, never drink pop and only drink water.

View attachment 1557718

Just a typical day’s reading for me. :rolleyes:

I get rather uptight when I read ones dismissing the virus and the need for a vaccine, clearly they haven’t had it or had a family member with it. This virus is very real and I actually fear for the long term affects it will have especially on the younger ones. :eek:
I have the same meter, you have to put the light through the finger nail. Try turning your hand over and putting it on.

Been a while since I posted in here (Apr/May time).

But I think after 18/19 months all seems well now. Last symptom I had, brain fog/out of body dizziness, seems to have cleared up for the most part. Just drifts by if I get poor sleep, though that might just be getting older :laugh:

Father is only about 8 months post infection and still gets worn out extremely quickly but thankfully other potential aspects don't seem to cause him any issues.

Here's to a happy and healthy Winter for anyone suffering right now! 🙏

Welcome back. 🫂

Have to admit to feeling a little crushed today, appointment was cancelled minutes before the transport arrived as the Dr has tested positive, obviously I hope he is ok but still :(

As you say, hope he's OK, but that must have been a blow for you :(

As you say, hope he's OK, but that must have been a blow for you :(

Huge, hard to explain just how much, but that would have been only my 2nd face to face appointment in over eighteen months, and was finally going to be the things I've been asking for such as MRI and testing for other possible causes, and along with his confident assertion that it was now definitely either CFS or ME I thought a game plan could be approached, now it is back to waiting, it really is hard to explain how much this has hit :(

One in three people infected with coronavirus will experience at least one symptom of long Covid, a new study suggests.

Much of the existing research into the condition – a mixture of symptoms reported by people often months after they were originally ill with Covid-19 – has been based either on self-reported symptoms or small studies.

Now researchers at the University of Oxford, the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and the Oxford Health Biomedical Research Centre (BRC) have shed fresh light on the scale of the problem after studying more than 270,000 people recovering from coronavirus in the US.

They found 37% of patients had at least one long Covid symptom diagnosed three to six months after infection. The most common symptoms were breathing problems, abdominal symptoms, fatigue, pain and anxiety or depression.

Covid: 37% of people have symptoms six months after infection

Long Covid could be caused by an overload of tiny clots 'trapped' inside people's blood weeks after they clear the initial infection, scientists say. The small study found patients who are 'long haulers' have a large amount of inflammatory molecules trapped in their bloodstream.

These blockages have the potential to disrupt the body's ability to distribute oxygen and vital nutrients, they said. It could explain long Covid's most common symptoms, such as fatigue, headaches and breathing difficulties.

Covid survivors with symptoms weeks after have 'micro blood clots'

The long and detailed original paper about the research is well worth a read
we here investigate if the lingering symptoms that individuals with Long COVID/PASC manifest might be due to the presence of persistent circulating plasma microclots that are resistant to fibrinolysis.

Clotting pathologies in both acute COVID-19 infection and in Long COVID/PASC might benefit from following a regime of continued anticlotting therapy to support the fibrinolytic system function.

Persistent clotting protein pathology in Long COVID/Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) is accompanied by increased levels of antiplasmin - Cardiovascular Diabetology

Long Covid could be caused by an overload of tiny clots 'trapped' inside people's blood weeks after they clear the initial infection, scientists say. The small study found patients who are 'long haulers' have a large amount of inflammatory molecules trapped in their bloodstream.

These blockages have the potential to disrupt the body's ability to distribute oxygen and vital nutrients, they said. It could explain long Covid's most common symptoms, such as fatigue, headaches and breathing difficulties.

Covid survivors with symptoms weeks after have 'micro blood clots'

The long and detailed original paper about the research is well worth a read
we here investigate if the lingering symptoms that individuals with Long COVID/PASC manifest might be due to the presence of persistent circulating plasma microclots that are resistant to fibrinolysis.

Clotting pathologies in both acute COVID-19 infection and in Long COVID/PASC might benefit from following a regime of continued anticlotting therapy to support the fibrinolytic system function.

Persistent clotting protein pathology in Long COVID/Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) is accompanied by increased levels of antiplasmin - Cardiovascular Diabetology
Good article and quite possible IMHO.
The studies into permanent lung damage and its resultant potential for “clotting factors” to be read in conjunction, makes sense and may well be linked.
Add it all up, and it just might give hope for successful treatment to be developed.

Last edited:
Long Covid appointment over and a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia along with the ongoing long covid effects, not great news but we go on, new bloods ordered, scans ordered and my Dr being told off for not doing things he thought were obvious.

So bloody tired of being tired :(

Not really what you wanted to hear but at least you know for sure what's going on and can get some kind of treatment plan in place.

Onwards and upwards.

A kind of funny but painful story.

I've lived here for almost five years and was able to move around without the lights on for almost that entire tuime, last night I walked straight into the bathroom doorframe and now have a horrendous headache and a huge bump on my forehead, it hurts but I can see the funny side.

Is that the side that is laughing at the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom