Long certified HDMI 2.0 cable?

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My garage conversion is starting on Monday and I need to route 2 hdmi cables from one end of the room to the other. I have an Xbox series X which although supports HDMI 2.1, my tv doesn’t and anyway as far as I can see long 2.1 cables aren’t available at the moment.
I need to pass a 4K HDR 60hz signal through an 8m to 10m hdmi cable but I am struggling to find any that can be delivered to me by Monday. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to buy these? There are plenty of 10m HDMI cables on Amazon which say high speed 4K but if you read reviews of them there are always comments about them not managing a 4K HDR signal. I’m kind of stuck at the moment.

HDMI cables are not version compliant - they have separate category system, Standard, High Speed, Premium High Speed and the New (not yet available) Ultra High Speed.

At 8m you can consider a High Speed or Premium High Speed Certified copper cable.

At 10m you are beyond the length of any 'Certified' cable and I would be looking at a Hybrid Fibre solution - RuiPro4K being our preferred option.

Ensure you can easily replace any cable you install - long HDMI cables have a nasty habit of being damaged or failing.

Note that some of the new Features of the XBX and PS5 are best/may only be achieved when you connect the console direct to a compatible TV and then use eARC, ARC or Optical Digital Audio to send the audio back to your AVR.

Joe

Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cables are passive, have a thicker wire gauge due to the requirements of HDMI 2.1 and are limited to a maximum length of 15' (3m). They will be labeled as Ultra High Speed HDMI and have a QR label of authenticity affixed to the packaging. Currently, only Zeskit, Belkin, and AudioQuest are supposedly offering labeled UHS HDMI cables.

Active cables can not, and probably never will be, certified by an ATC for any of the HDMI option sets (HDMI 2.0, 2.1 etc).

A single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between is the most reliable connection.

Thanks for the info, it’s much appreciated.
I have ordered a 2 of these 9m cables.
Amazon product ASIN B00FK0YK6UI will test them on my Xbox at 4K 60hz and hdr before the floor goes down and if they don’t work as advertised I will look into what other options are available.

Thanks for the info, it’s much appreciated.
I have ordered a 2 of these 9m cables.
Amazon product ASIN B00FK0YK6UI will test them on my Xbox at 4K 60hz and hdr before the floor goes down and if they don’t work as advertised I will look into what other options are available.
Those are just high speed HDMI cables, they are not certified by an ATC for the HDMI 2.0 options sets but they may still work. The product description is pretty much boiler plate marketing with all the buzz words.

Those are just high speed HDMI cables, they are not certified by an ATC for the HDMI 2.0 options sets but they may still work. The product description is pretty much boiler plate marketing with all the buzz words.
I realise that but I spend ages this afternoon searching for what I need and couldn’t find anything. I’m running out of time so had to order something to try.

Those cables should work at your distance but being as they are passive, the cables will probably have a thicker wire gauge which will restrict the bend radius (flexibility) somewhat so you want to make sure you don't have any sharp bends or put any undue strain on the HDMI ports, which will cause issues over time. An active copper-based cable is an alternative as far as flexibilty and bend radius goes or better yet, a hybrid fiber cable, but then you're increasing your cost.

Thanks for the additional info. Yes I am trying to keep the cost down as much as I can. I wasn't sure about active cables but if you think that would be better I would order a couple and return the amazon ones that are on the way.

Run conduit - that is your future proofing.

At 9m the cables you link to are not Certified to any of HDMI.orgs recognised standards.

keeping the cost down’ is always an issue once you start to run long HDMI cables.

As we get higher and higher bandwidth video formats we will see a move to Sources connected direct to the Display device then eARC from the Display device to the audio amp.

Joe

Thanks for the additional info. Yes I am trying to keep the cost down as much as I can. I wasn't sure about active cables but if you think that would be better I would order a couple and return the amazon ones that are on the way.
Keep in mind that no cable, regardless of product claims, is guaranteed to work 100% of the time with any given setup (kit, as @Joe Fernand says 😉) or installation scheme. It's all trial and error. Active cables were originally designed to carry the signal further than the 25' maximum certified length for HDMI 2.0 without issues. They work great for HD (1080). However, with the higher bandwidth requirements and new options (eARC for example) that becomes more difficult for various technical reasons. 9m shouldn't be too difficult but again, no guarantee. Active cables by their very design have inherent issues as well.

You can try a well made passive, High Speed HDMI cable, with ethernet, and see how that works first. If not, then try an active cable, either an active copper-based cable or a hybrid fiber cable.

And to echo @Joe Fernand, again, running conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling if you don't have easy access to it. Swapping out cables is so much easier and safer with conduit (and a pull string installed as well).

I took Joe and Otto's advice this summer and installed D-Line trunking from Amazon and a 15m Rui Pro wound around from the rack in the other room to the living room tv . Works beautifully . And if the HDMI brigade think Im going to move the whole shooting match back into the living room they better be willing to cover the cost of my divorce lawyer :)

~M~

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom