1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long cable run to projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Seanshadyuk, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Seanshadyuk

Seanshadyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i need to run a component, scart and hdmi lead about 10 metres to my projector my room is being redecorated so i can run the cables up the wall n thru the ceiling to my projector but what cables would you recommend what is the best way to do this??

I'm on abit of a tight budget aswell but i need quality without breakign the bank lol any help would be much appreciated thanx guys

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Quality 10m metre cables aren't cheap. Why do you need all 3? An upconverting receiver / scaler acting as a switching hub just may be better / cheaper. More details needed of your kit.

3. Seanshadyuk

Seanshadyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well i will have a panasonic ae700e and would like to connect my ps2 xbox gamecube up to it also a toshiba dvd player with component out put but i will soon be upgrading to a dvd player with hdmi can i get a box to connect all these and do one cable run to the projector then??

sry im new to all this lol

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    One cable run doesn't look possible without resorting to an expensive scaler. The Lumagens that I sell would give you a 1 cable solution but at £800+ !

2 cables (HDMI for the future DVD and component for the games boxes looks possible), rather depending on whether you already have an A/V receiver and if so what inputs / outputs it has.

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    www.tvcables.co.uk offer very affordable solutions if you do decide to go for all 3 cables. You could pick them all up for £60ish and I have been very impressed with minie (though I cant compare with a £300 cable or anything like that).

6. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    You shouldn't have any problems even at 10metres (try budget brands like profigold)

I wold advise seperate component (for the xbox with a hi-def kit) and componet _if possible) os S-video cable for the PS2, as scart is VERY prone to attenuation over that sort of distance, S-video would probably give a beter signal with a cheaper/thinner wire.

hope this helps

7. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a 15m component cable from tvcables for use with my TW10 and the picture quality is absolutely fine. Since I bought it I had a broken connection in one of the phono's that was really annoying (on the green one as well, so the missing sync meant the picture just dissapeared), so I bought a set of decent gold plated metal connectors from Maplin and replaced them all.

8. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Correct.

All video signals are carried on 75 ohm coax, regardless of format (component, S-video or composite). The main determinant of quality is the cable, not the connector. The cable needs to be well screened and of the correct impedance.

If you have the option of component, either RGB or YUV, and then using s-video or composite you are guaranteed to make the picture quality worse (unless you are using a low quality source like S-VHS).

I use Maplins "high quality" SVGA leads 10M long from the HTPC to the projector and the monitor and the picture quality is fine, even at much higher resolutions and refresh rates than are used by projectors. They were reasonably priced (about £30) and are not too large a diameter.

Bill

9. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I'm aware of that, from personal experience rgb scart signal never seems to carry as far. I presume the effect may be due to the increase in the number of cores in the cable.

10. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Some SCART leads don't seem to use screened video cores, being prone to interference and reflections.

Anything half decent should use a cable consisting of 4 individually screened video cables plus screened audio feeds and single wires for control signals. In other words it will be the same as separate video cables that are enclosed in an outer sheath. Each video cable will be isolated and the number of cables in the bundle becomes irrelevant.

Bill

11. Seanshadyuk

Seanshadyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    can i get a switch with 3 scart inputs and a s-video out then to connect all 3 consoles via a long s-video cable? because the thing is the only way i can connect all 3 is a scart switch box and then one long scart cable up to the projector and then one long component from my dvd player i could spend a good £200 on cables would i not be able to get a high quality 10m scart for that???

12. Seanshadyuk

Seanshadyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cannot wait to get this baby up and running lol just working things out at the moment tho and my whole room is being redecorated so im putting cables thru walls n all sorts lol hope it turns out alright i heard alot about vb and stuff with the panasonic ae700e but ahhh who cares still must be awesome im only a 18 year old student so vb isnt really a problem to me lol well thanx for all your help guys would appreciate a good site where i can get high quality LONG cables tho lol