Lone Wolf McQuade Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Aug 23, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Although he knew he’d never be either as strong or as cool, Samson only grew his hair and beard so that he would, at least, look like Chuck Norris. FACT.

Well, if it was Way of the Dragon that introduced Chuck Norris to audiences beyond those who attended martial arts tournaments, and The Octagon that properly launched him towards his status as being a bonafide leading man with people coming to see a film simply because he was in it, then it was Steve Carver’s awesome Lone Wolf McQuade from 1983 that made him fully iconic and downright bankable as an action hero admired by more than just the karate kids and the kick-boxers of the world. Carver had worked with Norris a couple of years before on the superb An Eye for An Eye so the two knew what one another was capable of bringing to the movie and this familiarity, if anything, is what bestows McQuade its legendary status as one of the...

Read the full review...

2. DrGekko

DrGekko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +470
      Thanks for the very informative review.

I'm curious however as to the verdict score of 8 out of 10. Is this in the context of evaluating action films in the same era or for Chuck Norris fans particularly? I just watched a trailer here:

Lone Wolf McQuade Uncensored Trailer - Chuck...

And I'm struggling to see how this will play out to be "tremendous entertainment from start to finish"...??

As a standalone film in its own merit, does it truly deserve that score, in comparison to the likes of First Blood, The Terminator, Dirty Harry, Once Upon A Time In America and other heavy hitters?

Your expanded opinion would be most welcome. :smashin:

3. Chris McEneany

Chris McEneany

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383

Ha-ha ... my expanded opinion, DrGekko?

I think u've just read it, sir. ;)

But, to add some happy (though unnecessary) further detail ...

I love the film, pure and simple. But, if you've been keeping up with the Chuck-fest that I've been doing (and will continue once Walmart's exclusive license for The Delta Force and Missing In Action ends), you should know that I am a massive fan of his already.

Norris has made some clunkers in his time - Top Dog was a serious mistake - but during this period, he was going from strength to strength in my opinion. He was tackling larger roles, and doing the bizz with more genuine screen presence with each one.

Silent Rage and Lone Wolf McQuade were pretty much the films that saw him step beyond simply being that karate bloke getting shoehorned-in to a plot. And, as I've explained in reviews for A Force of One and The Octagon, he was pretty much instrumental in establishing what would go on to become the generic American action hero of the 80's. Without his early work paving the way, you simply would not have seen Sly, Arnie, Van Damme, Lundgren, Willis or Gibson make their iconic films in quite the same way.

The Chuckster opened the doors. Well ... kicked them open, I should say.

This isn't a better movie than First Blood. Of course it isn't. I'm certain I gave that a higher mark, anyway, as I did with Dirty Harry. But I'm not comparing it to them either.

This is a beautifully cheesy martial arts Spaghetti Western, with a Bondian flavour "chucked" in to that already eclectic and addictive stew. There aren't too many of them around to compare it to.

Mate, I think this is great fun. The dialogue is often ridiculous and the action frequently daft - though these elements are actually part and parcel of why it is so enjoyable. But there is never a dull moment as far as I am concerned, and there are plenty of people out there who will, indeed, lap this up as "tremendous entertainment from start to finish."

Give it a chance, Dr, you might even be one of them. :)

Oh, and don't give the trailer too much credence. To be honest, I have never, ever seen a Chuck Norris trailer that's been any good.

Opinion officially expanded. A little bit.

Cheers,

Chris McEneany :devil:

4. Glenn01

Glenn01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,500
      Nice review (& supplemental review) :) Chris !

Appreciate the Chuck homage ... Of his greatest films, and as you rightly note, some of the foundations for the 80's action genre and hero's that we love so much.

I am totally with you on the scoring and I would give Lone Wolf an 8, it is one of Chucks great films along with Delta and Code. We both remember these from thier initial release and perhaps that does have a bearing on our views ... Would someone of a later generation enjoy them so much hmmm I don't know ?

What would a younger generation make of the likes of say "Cobra" and Slys amazing supermarket dialogue :) or Duds American Ninja, JCVD in No Retreat No Surrender :rolleyes:

Either way Chuck is the man of the hour, as short lived as his return is, it has made Ex2 extra great seeing the dude in action again and given us a reason to dig out his films again ... Thanks for the reviews :smashin:

5. mooperman

mooperman
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,888
      WOAH!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

American Ninja and the no retreat trilogy are utter classics of 80's martial arts movies in my opinion.... of course they are a bit cack, and thats kinda part of the charm, but they are in no way duds....

me n the lads recently re-watched no retreat no surrender 2 and the fight scenes still stand up pretty well in my opinion, its basically rambo but with a dodgy kidnap plot and a kung fu hero.... :D

6. Glenn01

Glenn01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,500
      Just to clarify mate ....

I meant "Dudikoff's" American Ninja and JCVD's No Retreat No Surrender, I love these films and on no way meant to infer they were Duds !! I was just shortening Dudikoff's to Duds.

:)

The end fight scene in No Retreat #1 is fantastic ... Jason Stillwell vs Jean-Claude :cool:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012