London underground help

Timalay

Established Member
Reaction score
Basically next month I am going to see a show in Wimbledon, the next day I'll be going to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London. So I am going to stay in the Watford Junction Premier Inn.
Basically, I'm not the most experienced at traveling around London. Can anyone tell me the best way of traveling to Watford Junction, and where would I need to get off, from my understanding Watford Junction doesn't fall under the Underground travel. So where would need to get off for that?
Also, I don't know how much money I would need to put on the Oyster card.
Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Do you mean from Wimbledon to Watford Junction?

You'll have to goto Euston and then get overground to Watford Junction

Probably Wimbledon > District line to Victoria > Victoria line to Euston > Overground to Watford Junction

Do you mean from Wimbledon to Watford Junction?

You'll have to goto Euston and then get overground to Watford Junction

Probably Wimbledon > District line to Victoria > Victoria line to Euston > Overground to Watford Junction

Sorry did I not say that. Well yes, that's what I meant. Will all that journey be covered by the Oyster system? Also I'm not sure how much money I would need on the Oyster Card (sorry if sounds stupid, I don't travel a huge amount in London).

Sorry did I not say that. Well yes, that's what I meant. Will all that journey be covered by the Oyster system? Also I'm not sure how much money I would need on the Oyster Card (sorry if sounds stupid, I don't travel a huge amount in London).
Watford Junction is outside of Oyster zones I think, but you can use Oyster card there with topped up payment on it.

Just use your contactless bank card for your travel, no need to use Oyster.

Watford Junction is outside of Oyster zones I think, but you can use Oyster card there with topped up payment on it.

Just use your contactless bank card for your travel, no need to use Oyster.

It may seem like a daft question, but is it a max charge on a contactless bank card? I'm only to make sure I have enough money in my bank.

It may seem like a daft question, but is it a max charge on a contactless bank card?
There's a max amount you will pay before it charges you any more depending on the zones you visit.

As Watford is outside the zones I think that will just be a separate charge from Euston > Watford but won't be too much. I don't see any reason not to just use your contactless.

Someone else might know more tho as I don't venture out that way.

Last edited:
Nearest station to the Premier Inn is actually Watford High Street. However you can only get the slow train from Euston which stops at all stations.
One option is to get the the fast train to Watford Junction and then catch a train back to Watford High Street (or a cab)
The walk from Watford Junction is around 20 minutes!

As mentioned just use a contactless card for travel around London and out to Watford

I travel in and out of London occasionally from Bushey Station which is the next main station into London
As mentioned it's part of the overground service from Euston

Basically next month I am going to see a show in Wimbledon, the next day I'll be going to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London. So I am going to stay in the Watford Junction Premier Inn.
Just checking are you staying at the Holiday Inn near Watford Junction or the Premier Inn (watford central) which is a 20 minute walk from the station?

Just checking are you staying at the Holiday Inn near Watford Junction or the Premier Inn (watford central) which is a 20 minute walk from the station?

Premier Inn, I don't mind the 20 min walk. I know I'll have to get up early on Sunday morning to get to the train station to catch the shuttle bus, but that doesn't bother me.

"One option is to get the the fast train to Watford Junction and then catch a train back to Watford High Street (or a cab)"

Be careful. Watford Junction is outside the TFL fare zone system and travelling like this is termed "doubling back" which isn't technically allowed without paying for both journeys. Failure to pay (trying to "get away with it") can, if caught, result in a very nasty (read - expensive) penalty.

Better to stay within the zones.

Use the same contactless bank card for all your travel. The fare for each trip is summed up and charged to the card. There is a daily fare cap, meaning that,regardless of what trips you make in one day, the amount actually charged is never higher than the cap. The cap amount is determined by the zones you use. Watford High St is in Zone 8. The daily cap for z 1-8 is £13.60 (weekends and weekday off-peak times) or £17.40 if you travel in a weekday peak. So to answer your "how much" question - no more than these figures per day. Less, if you travel less than this amount.

If you want to find out more precisely, the individual fares for each one-way trip you may make can be calculated here:

see also

Nearest station to the Premier Inn is actually Watford High Street. However you can only get the slow train from Euston which stops at all stations.
One option is to get the the fast train to Watford Junction and then catch a train back to Watford High Street (or a cab)
The walk from Watford Junction is around 20 minutes!

As mentioned just use a contactless card for travel around London and out to Watford

I travel in and out of London occasionally from Bushey Station which is the next main station into London
As mentioned it's part of the overground service from Euston

That would make sense to get off at Watford High Street. Thank you for that. I assume that Watford High Street falls under the Oyster card zone?

It falls under zone 8 so you’ll need to go on TfL website and work out what the cap is for journeys between zones 1-8 for each day of travel. There’ll be an off peak and a peak cap depending on when you travel.

That would make sense to get off at Watford High Street. Thank you for that. I assume that Watford High Street falls under the Oyster card zone?
Yes
Watford High St is in Zone 8.......

It falls under zone 8 so you’ll need to go on TfL website and work out what the cap is for journeys between zones 1-8 for each day of travel. There’ll be an off peak and a peak cap depending on when you travel.
The daily cap for z 1-8 is £13.60 (weekends and weekday off-peak times) or £17.40 if you travel in a weekday peak.

It may seem like a daft query, but I assume as you tap yourself out, it knows how much to charge your account.

Correct. On tap-in, a latent charge of the highest fare possible is made. If you fail to tap out, that is the fare charged. When you tap out, that latent charge is reduced down to the actual fare for the journey made.

Just a reminder: you have to use the same card throughout for all this to work.

Last edited:
Just another small question. How does it work on bus services? By the look of things, the journey will be having some rail replacement services (on the overground part). Many thanks if advance.

I can't speak for dedicated RRBs since I have never had cause to use one. In general, though, RRBs operate effectively as "rail" services so the same conditions should apply - although how they are implemented on the ground I don't know.

As far as regular scheduled ("red") buses are concerned, in the TFL area, you touch in only; the fare is flat regardless of journey and it DOES form part of the daily cap figures already mentioned.

Buy a single journey ticket at Wimbledon station to Watford. The ticket will allow you to board rail replacement bus if required. You can get some discount if you have rail discount card.

Even cheaper you can do it online in advance. For example Trainline says sat 26th Feb travelling in the evening is £16.80 without railcard, maybe £14 with.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom