London to Brighton Bike Ride 2008

Elrond

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It goes through the village I live in so thought I would take a few photos. It's something I haven't tried before it it was very hit and miss with more misses than hits. I also gave panning a go and its harder than it looks and they weren't going that fast, mainly I keeped forgetting the follow through!

Comments are very welcome on the photos and or technique.

1)

2)

3)

4) It would have been better if I had the rider waving more on a third!

5) This man decided to stand sort of in the way so I thought I would try and be artistic.

6) This is my favourite!

120 views and no comments! Are they that good!

120 views and no comments! Are they that good!

Then let me be the first. I have noticed that some contributors seem to attract more comments than others; perhaps they too took a while to get a presence on here.

As a cyclist I know only too well how difficult it can be to get decent shots of groups of riders, having said that you've done rather well at capturing the chaos that is the event. If you have another go next year how about trying a more head on approach to get a feel for the thousands of cyclists involved.

Thanks for sharing, they brought back memories of the times when I did the ride over twenty years ago.

They're perfectly acceptable photographs, they just don't give much to comment on.

In terms of technique, creating the feeling of movement is going to be tough on slow moving subjects. I suspect you'll need to come down to about 1/15th to give some real sense of speed. Also, I don't think portrait format shots work as well on moving subjects - you need some space for the subject to come from and go to.

The St. Johns ambulance man shot would have worked better if you slowed the shutter down a little more, and perhaps brought him into frame a touch - he's right on the edge. Also, waiting for a bigger group would have made it more interesting.

Backgrounds are also important - it would only take a few minutes to choose a spot which has a simple uncluttered background that doesn't drag your eye away from the subject. Cars, people, and telegraph poles are all fighting for your attention.

Timing wise, shooting what looks pretty close to midday is always going to give you mixed results. I realise that you were limited to when they come through your village, but if you were serious about getting some quality shots, then this is something to bear in mind.

Might have been nice to see some more interesting angles, get in close with a wide angle from low down, that sort of thing.

The last one is technically yhr best, but you do seem to have frozen the moment a little too much, giving the impression that he's balancing on this bike. :D

I think folk tend to comment when they see something they either like alot or have technical questions about. I don't think it is necessarily cliquey

I'll comment for you. Well done for having a go! When I heard on radio this as happening this wekeend I wondered if we'd have anyone from here either on it or photographing it. Good on you once again

Hi sleaver

Just had a look at your Flickr pages; a really nice range of pics and styles. The one of Rocko sleeping is brilliant.

I think what Gordon says is right, and given the very high standard of some of the pictures on here there is much to comment on. In general, though, this could mean that some of those on the way up may be overlooked and perhaps become discouraged.

As for Liquids comments - a lot of very good and constructive advice - he obviously know his stuff ;).

Last edited:
Liquid101, I agree with all your comments and you have certainly given me some ideas to try out the next time I try this sort of thing.

I knew the background could be a problem but I thought I would give it a go rather than just walking away although I'm sure some people out there probably would have walked away.

It wasn't the best situation either as the riders were being stopped twice in about 100 meters for the traffic so they weren't really getting any speed and when they did the Police told them to slow down. I probably should have gone to a different location but the roads were a nightmare. In the morning I had to go complety out of the way to get to somewhere and the ride wasn't even going through there!

The rider in the witch costume would have been better landscape but I was finding that by the time I had thought of things they had gone, but it all comes with practice!

I could of tried different angels but as there were Police there I wasn't sure if I should or shouldn't as I didn't know how they would react although as it's a fun even they probably wouldn't have minded.

There was also someone else photographing and he too seemed to be staying back, once further than me.

My other problem is I'm shy and don't know how people will react and also I keeped thinking about what they may be thinking when they were looking at me (I know that sounds stupid). Obviously some smile and wave and that did also put a smile on my face but then you get the ones who give you funny looks.

Gordon, are you doing your 100 strangers for the same sort of reason?

Anyway, like I said it was my first attempt and I know have a few things to try the next time!

With all the great photographers here it's difficult for many of us to post pictures that stand up to close scrutiny. I was one of the 120 viewers and I didn't comment as I didn't fancy posting critique without something good to say - but I've never posted any pictures here :)
Liquids comments are very good:
The St. Johns ambulance man shot would have worked better if you slowed the shutter down a little more, and perhaps brought him into frame a touch - he's right on the edge. Also, waiting for a bigger group would have made it more interesting.
A good example is the 'one way' sign photo with all the riders in the background blured (forgot who took it).
Also have a look at Bristol Pete's bikefest photos for inspiration:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773941
Backgrounds are also important - it would only take a few minutes to choose a spot which has a simple uncluttered background that doesn't drag your eye away from the subject. Cars, people, and telegraph poles are all fighting for your attention.
These too are helpful points.

I have a question with regards to Liquid101's comment about using slower shutter speeds.

Most were shot at 1/200 of a second and they were coming out a bit over exposed. If I were to slow the shutter speed to get more motion blur how would I cope with over exposing? Would I need to start using filters?

I have a question with regards to Liquid101's comment about using slower shutter speeds.

Most were shot at 1/200 of a second and they were coming out a bit over exposed. If I were to slow the shutter speed to get more motion blur how would I cope with over exposing? Would I need to start using filters?

Your shots all seem to be at f8 at either 1/100th or 1/200th. You could just stop down to f22 using aperture priority mode - this should slow the shutter down significantly. I'd say you're looking at shutter speed of 1/15th - 1/30th for slow moving panning shots.

On very bright days, or when you just want to use the optimum part of the lens (usually around f8) you could use some ND filters. Obviously, when using an dSLR camera you're going to notice some dimming in the viewfinder.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom