London Sound & Vision Show September 2006

Dankeech

Sounds very much like the Bristol one. Do you know by any chance if it's normally any bigger, or differs in any way, as I'm thinking would make a nice day out if there's likely to be anything new etc

Dan.

TheBoingoBandit

Novice Member
Dankeech said:
Sounds very much like the Bristol one. Do you know by any chance if it's normally any bigger, or differs in any way, as I'm thinking would make a nice day out if there's likely to be anything new etc

Dan.

The London show tends to have a lot less brands and demo rooms as it's sharing space with the Best of Stuff gadget show.

Dankeech

TheBoingoBandit said:
The London show tends to have a lot less brands and demo rooms as it's sharing space with the Best of Stuff gadget show.

Oh, that's not that good. Though Bristol format was ace. I'll still be there i reckon though.

Anyone know anything exciting come out since Britstol Show?

Dan.

TheBoingoBandit

Novice Member
eviljohn2 said:
The London S&V show (held near Heathrow) is different to the What Hifi show which does share with the Stuff show which will be held at the Hammersmith Novotel in November. :)

You are correct.

I must have been half asleep at the time of writing. :boring:

Holowlegs

Hi there

Is anybody going to the one in Hammersmith?

Cheers Holo

Holowlegs

Hi there

Thinking about going to the one in hammersmith but didn't know there was any in Heathrow any links to these as I am not to far away from Heathrow.

Cheers Holo

TheBoingoBandit

Novice Member
Holowlegs said:
Hi there

Thinking about going to the one in hammersmith but didn't know there was any in Heathrow any links to these as I am not to far away from Heathrow.

Cheers Holo

It used to be one show occupying both hotels across the road from each other. It's now two seperate shows at the same hotels on the same days (sadly, two admission prices as well :( ).

Where the Hammersmith show is mainly aimed at budget to mid-range equipment, there is a lot more high-end equipment to be found at the Heathrow show, which is nice to see in action.

The Hammersmith show is aimed at the general public and semi-enthusiasts, while the Heathrow shows are aimed at audiophiles.

http://www.chestergroup.org/LSM/cclsvsite.html

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/show2006/

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Lone Granger

Novice Member
Hi there

Cheers Holo
are they practical to to do both by Tube same day for a country boy?!

Or are both the Hi-Fi News Show & S&V Show at the two neighbouring hotels?

Dankeech

good man - interested in all things BluRay and 1080p panels above 50"

particularly 52" XD1E and is there a new 57" Fuji?

cheers
Bristol show had some nice Fujitsu panels. Was very impressed with clarity and sales people were fantastic and knew their stuff.

Dan.

TheBoingoBandit

Novice Member
Hi - please report on Heathrow Shows - i hope to go on Sunday if it is good

Was the new Sharp XD1E 52" LCD there?
57" Fuji LCD there?

cheers

I got to the Hi-Fi News Show at mid-day intending to visit both. However, there were many timed seminars and demonstrations so I stayed all afternoon and decided to visit the show opposite tommorrow.

It was a reasonable show. Mainly high-end stereo like I previously mentioned it usually is.

The only very large screen I spotted was the 65" plasma in the Panasonic being fed an impressive Blu-Ray feed. (For AV kit, the Hammersmith show is much better catered for.)

If you are interested in seeing the timed demos and seminars, then you should arrive as early as possible. If however you only want to peruse the demo rooms, then arriving at around mid-day should be fine.
(Some quick tips: Instead of the hotel's expensive bar, there is a normal priced pub opposite the Park Inn on the main road. Likewise if you're hungry forget about the hotel or Texaco's over-priced sandwiches. There is a grocery store located in the road between Texaco and the Park Inn. Otherwise, there is a Maccy D's just five minutes away in the direction of Central London. As for the show, I suggest you visit the Hi-Fi News Show first and go downstairs first to collect tickets for the various demos. You can come and go as you please with the wristband that they give you. The Hi-Fi News Show costs £8 to get in and the other show costs £9 - or £6 with the discount voucher printed out from their website.)

If are some photos I took today at the show:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/theboingobandit/slideshow?.dir=/d4ccre2&.src=ph

Holowlegs

Hi there

Thinking off poping along to the this today just got to decide weather to go by Tube or drive.

Cheers Holo

Droogie 2001

I got to the Hi-Fi News Show at mid-day intending to visit both. However, there were many timed seminars and demonstrations so I stayed all afternoon and decided to visit the show opposite tommorrow.

It was a reasonable show. Mainly high-end stereo like I previously mentioned it usually is.

The only very large screen I spotted was the 65" plasma in the Panasonic being fed an impressive Blu-Ray feed. (For AV kit, the Hammersmith show is much better catered for.)

If you are interested in seeing the timed demos and seminars, then you should arrive as early as possible. If however you only want to peruse the demo rooms, then arriving at around mid-day should be fine.
(Some quick tips: Instead of the hotel's expensive bar, there is a normal priced pub opposite the Park Inn on the main road. Likewise if you're hungry forget about the hotel or Texaco's over-priced sandwiches. There is a grocery store located in the road between Texaco and the Park Inn. Otherwise, there is a Maccy D's just five minutes away in the direction of Central London. As for the show, I suggest you visit the Hi-Fi News Show first and go downstairs first to collect tickets for the various demos. You can come and go as you please with the wristband that they give you. The Hi-Fi News Show costs £8 to get in and the other show costs £9 - or £6 with the discount voucher printed out from their website.)

If are some photos I took today at the show:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/theboingobandit/slideshow?.dir=/d4ccre2&.src=ph
Did you not see the HD-DVD demostration in the lower ground level? Vastly superior to the weak Bluray demo.
Did you realise that they were using MPEG 2 encoded disks in the bluray demo!?
The HD demo was much more impressive although the HD unit kept dropping sound out. They compared a convential DVD with an HD-DVD (Chronicles of Riddick) on SIM2 projector shown in 1080p res.
The DVD looked poor compared to the HD disk.

They also showed Blazing Saddles and the quality was staggering for a film made over 30 years ago!
All in all a great day. The Krell demo with its LAT2 £12K bookshelf speakers was breath taking. Even saw Dan D'Agostino which was a nice surprise. But I couldn't summon up the courage to get him to sign a copy of a Krell brochure!
Got into the other show for a £1.
Any one else go? There always seems to be a lack of people who attend this one...

grimoor

Novice Member
I popped along late on Sunday. Paid to go in to Sound & Vision show with a discount voucher then went in to the Hi-Fi News Show - as it was late I was able to just walk in without paying. Was a bit shocked that the bus hotel hoppa cost £8 return, I'm sure a cab wouldn't of been much more.

Saw a lot of nice stuff, but way out of my budget, plus I'm more home cinema that a hi-fi buff - not seen that much vinyl in a while :)

3 things that I saw that I did find interesting was

http://www.lyngdorfaudio.co.uk/
Digital hifi setup. Sound quality was pretty good to my ears from the digital speakers. Not something I had heard of before.

http://www.fergusonhill.co.uk
I seen their high end speakers before, but they had some computer setup speakers (FH007) for about £600.

http://www.quadraspire.co.uk
Lastly the items I found the most interesting. They had their new Q4 reference table and plug block. Now I've heard before about using a different mains lead and getting better sound. But they move the CD player from one plain hifi rack to their one and the sound improvement was huge. They then removed their main lead and used the standard one and the music seemed a lot more flat. They had their own speakers stands as well and little stands to hold the speak cables off the floor. Not sure how much of a difference those made as I didn't heard anything with or without them. I would recommed everyone to try and see the demo at the next show they are at.

TheBoingoBandit

Novice Member
Did you not see the HD-DVD demostration in the lower ground level? Vastly superior to the weak Bluray demo.
Did you realise that they were using MPEG 2 encoded disks in the bluray demo!?
The HD demo was much more impressive although the HD unit kept dropping sound out. They compared a convential DVD with an HD-DVD (Chronicles of Riddick) on SIM2 projector shown in 1080p res.
The DVD looked poor compared to the HD disk.

They also showed Blazing Saddles and the quality was staggering for a film made over 30 years ago!
All in all a great day. The Krell demo with its LAT2 £12K bookshelf speakers was breath taking. Even saw Dan D'Agostino which was a nice surprise. But I couldn't summon up the courage to get him to sign a copy of a Krell brochure!
Got into the other show for a £1.
Any one else go? There always seems to be a lack of people who attend this one...

I was going to see the HD-DVD demo but the Barry Fox seminar over-ran and I missed it. :(

As for Krell's £12k bookshelves, the McIntosh £150,000 system over at the Park Inn blows that price away! ;)

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/4459e830m243db2ef/d794re2/__sr_/63ddre2.jpg?ph4fCGFBnwh7lqMw :D

More photos here...http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/theboingobandit/slideshow2?.dir=/d794re2&.beg=12&.src=ph

Droogie 2001

I was going to see the HD-DVD demo but the Barry Fox seminar over-ran and I missed it. :(

As for Krell's £12k bookshelves, the McIntosh £150,000 system over at the Park Inn blows that price away! ;)

QUOTE]

Have to say the McIntosh was impressive. My mouth literally dropped when I entered the room. :eek:
They were playing some Holst when I went there which sounded fabulous. The Krell was a more personal experience as the room was smaller so I got a better presentation from the Krell. Remember that £12k was just for the speakers, the rest of the system was probably another £60k. Either way they were both great shows, a big improvement over last years poor showing.
Looking forward to next years! :)