London murder rate overtakes New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't believe there's a class system in Britain then you possibly haven't understood this country fully in the time you've lived here. It's all pervasive and woven into the fabric of British life.

Lord Sugar may be a Lord, but he's no more upper class than Jacob-Rees Mogg is down with the homies on the council estates around Bristol or Bath as one of their brethren.

So how come 7/10 people seem to think they're middle class then? :laugh:

If you don't believe there's a class system in Britain then you possibly haven't understood this country fully in the time you've lived here. It's all pervasive and woven into the fabric of British life.

Lord Sugar may be a Lord, but he's no more upper class than Jacob-Rees Mogg is down with the homies on the council estates around Bristol or Bath as one of their brethren.
Surely it’s a perception in once mind. Do you really care that much about what other people think where you come from? Or where you are now?

I’ve learned at a very young age, and experience of living in 17 different countries that people will always have an opinion of you. Sometimes you may agree, sometimes you may not, ultimately it makes no difference whatsoever.

And I bet when you ask all ten they will have a different definition. Opinions are like worse than arseholes, we all have more than one :)

And @nabby yes I do notice it is still an obsession in this country. Heck even the saying “that is a bit posh” is just an alien saying with no substance.

Probably because they don't understand that there is no such thing as middle class,,it's just upper class and the rest of us the working class :D
Personally i think the class system doesn't really exist,it is just a term that hides the fact that some are privileged

Probably because they don't understand that there is no such thing as middle class,,it's just upper class and the rest of us the working class :D
Personally i think the class system doesn't really exist,it is just a term that hides the fact that some are privileged
Out of interest, what does that actually means “privileged”? I bet when you ask ten people you’ll get ten different answers.

We used to have a rigid class system, but that dissolved decades ago. However there are still pockets of resistance, which is not necessarily defined geographically... :D

a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group..

You might get different answers from 10 people but they would know if they were or not :)

By stating the idea of privilege I think you can’t help but accept there is a class system here.

Indicators to me would include -

1) a functioning royal family and hereditary peerage
2) a system of government and lawmaking that appears to favour those that have been to Oxford or Cambridge
3) our enduring (but not endearing) tendency to doff our caps to those that seem to be our betters, whether through education, wealth or manner of speech (ref. Bo-Jo and JRM)

By stating the idea of privilege I think you can’t help but accept there is a class system here.

Indicators to me would include -

2) a system of government and lawmaking that appears to favour those that have been to Oxford or Cambridge
3) our enduring (but not endearing) tendency to doff our caps to those that seem to be our betters, whether through education, wealth or manner of speech (ref. Bo-Jo and JRM)
So it’s a lefty republican obsession from your perspective, that leaves room for another 9 different ones.

I do wonder how realistically any of the above three does hold back anyone?

1) It is what it is in my opinion, and doesn’t impact anyone realistically.
2) what is wrong with having a decent degree when in a governing position or making new laws? I thought you didn’t like the Donald Trump style of policy making. Or don’t you think it requires education?
3) I’ve met Bojo and he really doesn’t expect you to duff your cap. I wasn’t wearing any anyway, and I simply addressed him as Mr Johnson like I to do anyone who looks like they are of the male gender. Naturally I will adapt their surname :) But I do recall a weird conversation on here once where people thought it was overly formal to address someone as Mr. I’m still miffed by people being offended by such courtesy.

1) Privilege
2) The privileged ones are going to Oxford or Cambridge the second they are born, then likely in to government and legislation making..The rest have to work their way there..
3) Think you've been watching too much Downton Abbey :D
I wouldn't doff my cap (if i wore one ) to the queen let alone anyone else

Eloquence ,money or education have nothing to do with class....Think it's more to do with status or perceived social standing but i get your point

So it’s a lefty republican obsession from your perspective, that leaves room for another 9 different ones.

Are you after a serious discussion or not?

Are you after a serious discussion or not?
It was an observation, quite fitting I was considering that pigeon holing someone into a class is effectively that in my opinion. In the context of where it was said that make perfect sense to me.

It was an observation, quite fitting I was considering that pigeon holing someone into a class is effectively that in my opinion. In the context of where it was said that make perfect sense to me.

Then it was an extremely poor one. I am not a lefty, nor republican, nor obsessed with class issues.

I do wonder how realistically any of the above three does hold back anyone?

1) It is what it is in my opinion, and doesn’t impact anyone realistically.
2) what is wrong with having a decent degree when in a governing position or making new laws? I thought you didn’t like the Donald Trump style of policy making. Or don’t you think it requires education?
3) I’ve met Bojo and he really doesn’t expect you to duff your cap. I wasn’t wearing any anyway, and I simply addressed him as Mr Johnson like I to do anyone who looks like they are of the male gender. Naturally I will adapt their surname :) But I do recall a weird conversation on here once where people thought it was overly formal to address someone as Mr. I’m still miffed by people being offended by such courtesy.

In response to your points:
1) Interesting that you know it doesn't impact on anyone realistically. I'd love to see your empirical evidence for this.
2) in your opinion, decent degrees only come from Oxford or Cambridge. Again, an interesting pov, but not unusual amongst many people.
3) That's a nice story :) Nothing wrong with formalities.

Then it was an extremely poor one. I am not a lefty, nor republican, nor obsessed with class issues.

In response to your points:
1) Interesting that you know it doesn't impact on anyone realistically. I'd love to see your empirical evidence for this.
2) in your opinion, decent degrees only come from Oxford or Cambridge. Again, an interesting pov, but not unusual amongst many people.
3) That's a nice story :) Nothing wrong with formalities.
1) you suggested it does, why not explain how that does impacts people’s daily life’s.
2) where did I say they only come from those universities? I did not say that at all.
3) well you were bringing in duffing the cap and named that individual. So if there is nothing wrong with that then why bring it up?

1) you suggested it does, why not explain how that does impacts people’s daily life’s.
2) where did I say they only come from those universities? I did not say that at all.
3) well you were bringing in duffing the cap and named that individual. So if there is nothing wrong with that then why bring it up?

1) I tried to above, but you were having none of it. I can take a horse to water but cannot make it drink :)

2) My point was regarding Oxford and Cambridge graduates getting the rub of the green. Your replay was there's nothing wrong with having a decent degree when applying for government jobs. If you felt graduates of other universities were of equal merit then it didn't come across in your reply.

3) It's a figure of speech to illustrate how amongst many people in Britain, those perceived as being of higher social standing are given more respect and taken more seriously. It's a thing.

1) I tried to above, but you were having none of it. I can take a horse to water but cannot make it drink :)

2) My point was regarding Oxford and Cambridge graduates getting the rub of the green. Your replay was there's nothing wrong with having a decent degree when applying for government jobs. If you felt graduates of other universities were of equal merit then it didn't come across in your reply.

3) It's a figure of speech to illustrate how amongst many people in Britain, those perceived as being of higher social standing are given more respect and taken more seriously. It's a thing.
Well I learn something new :) When I meet someone new I have no idea about their background or anything else. I treat everyone with the same level of respect. A totally alien concept to me to give some people more respect than others, unless I get to know them, then it could change.

Well I learn something new :) When I meet someone new I have no idea about their background or anything else. I treat everyone with the same level of respect. A totally alien concept to me to give some people more respect than others, unless I get to know them, then it could change.

If they've got a neck tattoo I find I can draw pretty accurate conclusions.

If they've got a neck tattoo I find I can draw pretty accurate conclusions.
What would they be then? Only conclusion I would draw is that it is highly likely that person has got more tattoos. In my experience people with tattoos are quite approachable about them as well. But beyond that I honestly wouldn’t assume anything.

What about a Trump stamp? ...

download.jpeg

wj7YXyq.jpg

My Goodness! Mayor Khan is getting a grilling! Poor chap has no answers. The rise has been unprecedented on his watch. His response was that world wide the crime rate has risen faster!

Many parents who lost their children, spoke. Police response to witnessed knife crimes has been deplorable. They do nor respond. In fact they are more willing to give out a crime number if your phone is lost!

Corruption and the dismissal of Islamic crimes (vehicle used as a murder weapon- 3 killed) by the police and authorities was also talked about.

Actually shocking to listen when told by individual's actually involved.....

Back to the match:)

He didn’t have answers for anything. Then again that doesn’t surprise me at all.

As Londoners I hope the two of you wlll use your vote at the ballot box to vote him out then.

As Londoners I hope the two of you wlll use your vote at the ballot box to vote him out then.
Oh gosh yes. If I was allowed to do that, I’d help him out today. Even call him a Taxi cab and pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom