London Fireworks, New Years Eve

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably going to make an effort to get into London for the fireworks.

I understand there are official viewing areas for about 250,000.

When these are closed are there still plenty of adequate viewing areas?

Thinking of viewing from around the Parliament area

Just yourself or you going with others? The crowds are massive. That is to mean crushingly massive. Would be reluctant to take small kids myself. Hours to escape and head off home from

Are you a tall person? There is a slight possibility you will have to view the fireworks through the LCD of the stranger with the camera next to you. Didn't happen to me but one more anecdote to use against a short mate of mine :laugh: Ahem...

Steven said:
Just yourself or you going with others? The crowds are massive. That is to mean crushingly massive. Would be reluctant to take small kids myself. Hours to escape and head off home from

Are you a tall person? There is a slight possibility you will have to view the fireworks through the LCD of the stranger with the camera next to you. Didn't happen to me but one more anecdote to use against a short mate of mine :laugh: Ahem...

3 of us including a 16 year old. I'm 6ft 1, but the missus and little one aren't. Unless you get there Mega early is it worth going? And if you do get there early is there any entertainment??

I thought the fireworks were insane, best yet. I'm hungry for stats, has anyone got any? I don't seem to be having much luck with Google today. Eg how much did it cost, how many individual fireworks were there, how long did it take to set up, what sort of equipment did they use?

I'm imaging a team of nerds sat in front of a bank of computers. It must have taken months of programming. In order to synchronise it so precisely they would have to taken into account the time it takes for each individual rocket to ignite, takeoff and then explode.

Found this. Not sure how credible it is.

London Fireworks 2012 New Years Eve (HQ) - Official

The display cost £1.9m in total to stage and included 12,000 fireworks costing £274,000.
The whole thing lasted less than 12 minutes

Edit - On a personal note, I thought the fireworks were superb. Only watched them on the TV but I was pretty blown away by them!

More than 16 fireworks per second!

After a bit of research I've found out that the company responsible is called Kimbolton Fireworks LTD and they are are a UK company. Here's a discussion about them on a fireworks forum.

Also, below is link to a blog article by the company's display director on the design, choreography, production and logistics of doing the previous 2010-2011 display. This is a great read and absolute gold for those who like to 'geek out' on all the technical stuff...

New Year's Eve Fireworks London 2011: London New Year's Eve Fireworks 2011

I have since seen the fireworks on TV and they were pretty good!

I was up at the Epsom Downs viewpoint to see the fireworks, and whilst far away so you couldn't see all the detail of them like you would being in the mass of crowds, you get to see one MASSIVE firework show. You can see the entire city from up there and once it hit midnight any part you looked at was fireworks!! Pretty good, there's no other time you would get to see that

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom