London Boulevard Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 18th March 2011.
Career criminal with a violent past who, after being released from prison, attempts to go straight, but is perpetually dragged back in. Sound familiar? How about this one: Quietly-spoken professional tough-guy is recruited to protect a reclusive, eccentric celebrity. Whether reminiscent of The Bodyguard or, more pointedly, Carlito’s Way, this adaptation of Ken Bruen’s 2001 novel, London Boulevard, may be packed with tried-and-tested ideas, but it’s also populated by unusual characters brought to life with noteworthy verve by myriad Brit talent. William Monahan’s directorial debut may not be a genre classic, and may struggle to stand out in the crowd of (Brit) gangster films that are out there, but it’s still got some great performances, and a few memorable moments, and definitely has something to offer for those who afford it the time.

On Region B-locked UK Blu-ray, we get good video and great audio, although the extras are a little thin on the ground. Although the movie did get a limited theatrical run in the UK, last November, it still hasn’t secured a Stateside release date, and you have to wonder whether it ever will. Still, the region coding will largely prevent people those who are region-locked from skipping straight to Blu-ray. If you’re a fan of Brit gangster films, from Get Carter to The Long Good Friday, from Lock Stock, to Layer Cake, London Boulevard makes for a decent watch that’s well worth your time. It will probably never really survive strict comparison to the others, or Carlito’s Way (and The Bodyguard for that matter), and nor will it secure its place in the genre by bringing something new – and quality – to the table, but it’s still an entertaining 103 minute Brit crime drama, with some interesting characterisation, great performances, a superb soundtrack and decent direction. With a stronger story, and a few tweaks here and there, this could have been a great film. As is, if you’re interested, then it’s worth renting this first to see if you think it’s a keeper.

Read the full review...

Not sure if it's a keeper, but an entertaining movie at times.
Well worth a rent, Ray Winstone is great as usual, even if it's a small part he has.

The PQ is top notch and the DTS HD MA is a bit quiet at times.

Glad I read the review because I'm not a great fan of KK, and it certainly looks like this is less of a Brit 'The Bodyguard' and more of a gangster film focussing on Colin Farrell's character. In light of this, might have to check it out.

Cheers!

PS. Glad the reviews are back to normal! :thumbsup:

Yup, don't be put off. This has more in common with Carlito's Way, or even the Ray Winstone gangster drama Sexy Beast, than it does with The Bodyguard. The Bodyguard elements are an obvious nod, but are more peripheral than integral.

Thanks, Cas

I admire such rview that explain things properly in this way. Tiny but quality sentences, usually people keep on elaborating things for no good reason. Review should me interesting and informative that's what i felt while reading this one.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom