1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Bombings conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lex, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With the london bombings and the new evidence which has emerged about the poor Brazilian chap who was shot by the police the conspiracy theorists are having a field day... most of it is obviously nonsense, but I have to say that the faked photo put out by the Met has really got me curious.

It is here if you haven't seen it: http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050724/photos_pl_afp/050724214150_vesdc65b_photo1

I first saw it last month and was surprised by it but presumed there would be a logical explanation, but none seems to have emerged... As far as I can tell the police have not commented and the media seem to be ignoring it...
    So what's the story here? Why would such an obviously faked photo be put out like that, what would the police gain by it? If they wanted to get all four alleged bombers into the same photo then why not do a proper 4-way split image...

I don't understand and I am curious. Anyone got any thoughts/info?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I don't understand Lex. Why is the photo supposedly faked. Excuse me i haven't seen much news for the past week ...too busy.

3. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sorry, but unless I'm missing some kind of sight gag, I'm with Mr. D here...

What are you talking about, Lex?

What's fake about the photo?

4. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Lex, you implying that the four bombers didnt actually arrive together so the police created a composite from four shots from four different times on the camera?

Where did you hear that ? Doesn't look faked.

You would think if they had done that they would not have obscured one of them with another etc.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, should have pointed it out. If you look at the man at the back in the white cap you will see that although he is meant to be standing in front of the fence the railing actually comes across the front of his body (you might need to zoom it in a bit). Also the top part of the railing actually goes into the side of his head.

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am not implying anything - I have just not yet heard a satisfactory explanation.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    If I was putting a fake picture out I would do a better job, I thing that is a bit of flare from the shine surface of the railing.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    If you want a conspiracy why not why after a bomb attack in London was two lots of cameras not working that showed what happened when the innocent Brazilian was shoot dead.

9. seb

seb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are having a laugh mate - I have shown this to several people in the office here and none see what you do :)

10. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    A friend of a friend told me that all conspiracy theories are actually started by the government to keep us guessing and instill fear.....

;)

11. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recon it was Elvis wot done it, from a grassy knoll.

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am not putting forward any conspiracy theory - maybe I mistitled the thread - but if you look at the photo the mistake is as clear as day.

13. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Just searched google with the following words:
    fake london boming cctv

Lordy, you should see what comes up!

Anyway, the following site:
    http://911review.org/London/
    has carried out some very basic image analysis on the cctv image. However, anyone for or against a conspiracy theory will be able to justify/slate the above!

Sitting on this fence here is giving me a splinters! ;)

14. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a load of rubbish :D

That's what dodgy CCTV recorded on years old VHS tape looks like!

15. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Oh yeah...I see it.

And if you look real close, you'll see that the guy to the right has clearly mastered the art of levitation 'cause he's got no feet that I can see!!! :rotfl:

This image is so low-res you could be seeing anything...maybe it is the rail, because maybe his arm is in a position that's revealing it? A far more logical and likely explanation than police cover-up, don't you think?

Honestly mate, I think it's time you stopped watching the X-Files.

16. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Stopped watching the X-Files a long time ago - wasn't realistic enough! :rotfl:

Personally I don't think the photo is faked.

17. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    They have gone to the trouple of puting their reflections in the glass parcel force office windows , can't believe they have missed something like that .
    Probably an optical illusion

JS

18. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Just another excuse for all the whack-jobs out there to start screaming "conspiracy, conspiracy!"

It cracks me up, it really does.

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Its a compression artifact . (it may even just be a highlight on the guy's cheek resolving as a similarly coloured pixel as the bar to the right ...its not the same colour or intensity) .

Look at the ghost on the edge of the trousers of them all. The cctv system probably uses some motion based compression scheme

The lower bar thats supposedly over the rear most bomber ...about waist height is merely not being occluded by the bomber, the darker colour behind this bar is not actually the guy its the roadway behind...you can see this if you gamma it up.

Consider the logic ...if they had bothered to do as good a fake up as that on the rest of the image they wouldn't have made such a gaff as to leave an obvious background feature over the foreground comp.

The fact these artifacts are there suggests to me that they didn't do anything stupid like touch up the odd anomalous pixel.

20. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nice one Mr. D :smashin:

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    In fact the one off the yahoo site seems to be even lower res . The "anamolous pixel" across the guy's head looks more like piping or a hotspot on the peak of his baseball cap.

The wobbly lines can either be flare over from the water , detail on the edge of the "lampost" resolving as a similar colour to the background or some sort of overshoot in the camera. The odd looking feet are just getting lost in the blown out area in the water.

To be honest all these things actually suggest the image is real rather than artificial. They are the sort of artifacts that decent professional compositors with an understanding of what filmed imagery look like reintroduce to artificial images to enhance realism. They usually look a little contrived though and the artifacts in this image simply don't have that overly considered look to them.

My opinion of the bothersome fools responsible for that website is too low to put into words.

22. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I've just read some of the other ****** on that website . Contrast of the terrorist and pole "not being different" ....this is NOT something that indicates fakery quite the reverse. Anything exposed in a given scene has a minimum black level and white level that will be the same. Its a fundamental rule of creating images.

Mismatched lower intensities are a big give away that something has been faked ....not the reverse.

Photographed images are not the same as human perception. The way something looks is not simply how it photographs.

23. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think we should take the opportunity though, and use this thread to ask our MPs to change the CCTVs used to HD-CCTVs......

I want to see crime in high definition!

:rotfl:

24. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Can't see it in the photo myself, but I always enjoy a good conspiracy theory.

On the verge of buying 9/11 Revealed - apparently gives a lot of theories/reasons why 9/11 was a conspiracy. I'll see.

But watching a recent TV documentary on terrorism a Muslim guy who runs a website said something that made me think for a while.

He said with regard to these 4 guys, what real proof has been presented by the Gov/Police that these were the ACTUAL bombers. OK I believe they probably are but perhaps he has a point. How did they prove it to us? They just said 'these are the guys that did it', and we believed.

Why is it when the authorities say something we believe it without question? They told us about WMDs in Iraq and most of the country believed it, but there wasn't any, yet there has been no comeback on the Gov. Why did the country not rise up and demand to know why they were lied to? Because most of the population are 'cattle' and when the Allies said, 'but that Saddam is a bad man anyway', everyone said 'yes he is' and forgot about the lies.

25. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    OK then.... so what proof do you have that they lied ? ;)

26. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Touche

27. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Nah, we want to see them in Hi-Def AND 16:9 widescreen, with 12 million colours! :rotfl:

Pooch

28. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Nutters.

Same people who think we never went to the moon or that Elvis is still alive. :lease:

29. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    To add to my point about trusting any Gov, did the leaked report yesterday not show us that they will fabricate stories to cover themselves when they make terrible mistakes, rather than come out and say that they just committed murder.

Look forward to the results of the inquiry.

30. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    My point from earlier was.. I don't think either the Police or the Government are in a position where they can ever admit to making mistakes these days?

In my job, holding up my hand and admitting to making a mistake is normally taken as absolute proof that I AM dependable, and CAN be trusted.... as anyone with a grain of intelligence knows that we all make mistakes from time to time...however perfect we think we are.

The Police don't get quite as fair a deal from us, unfortunately.