London At 6am

hernando

Standard Member
Reaction score
I when out early today to try my new 24-105 L IS lens...
No editing or PP on any of the pictures, I was hopping for better pictures no as sharp as I wanted. all picures handheld IS on

Any Comments Please ... how can take shaper pictures ?
01 Exp 3.2 Sec @ f22
IMG_1580.jpg

02 Wild Flores Exp 1/15 Sec @ f4
IMG_1626.jpg

03 Exp 1/2 Sec @ f22
IMG_1649.jpg

04 Exp 1/125 Sec @ f8
IMG_1688.jpg

05 Garden Flowers Exp 1/60 Sec @ f4
IMG_1744.jpg

06 Exp 1/10 Sec @ f13
IMG_1772.jpg

More Pictures Here http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/hernandoz/SunRise6am

Thanks for looking

I when out early today to try my new 24-105 L IS lens...
No editing or PP on any of the pictures, I was hopping for better pictures no as sharp as I wanted. all picures handheld IS on

Any Comments Please ... how can take shaper pictures ?
01 Exp 3.2 Sec @ f22

Any tips? Yep. Don't try and hand hold for 3.2 seconds!

IS is good but it can't work miracles. Generally speaking IS will alloww you to hand hold for 2 stops slower than you should be able to. So for example if you are shooting hand held at 100mm this should mean that you use a shutter speed of at least 1/125th to avoid camera shake. With IS this could be reduced to 1/30th.

Don't forget that IS can't fix motion blur so if, for example, a Daffodil is moved by the wind and you are only at 1/15th IS won't make the shot sharp.

If you really need to use shutter speeds like this than use a tripod but don't forget to turn the IS off.

HTH

ditto what peakoverload said exellent advice :)

ditto with the tripod

i think a lens hood would have helped with the glare on the left on your last pic

Thanks for your comments

Code:
Any tips? Yep. Don't try and hand hold for 3.2 seconds!

IS is good but it can't work miracles. Generally speaking IS will alloww you to hand hold for 2 stops slower than you should be able to. So for example if you are shooting hand held at 100mm this should mean that you use a shutter speed of at least 1/125th to avoid camera shake. With IS this could be reduced to 1/30th.

Don't forget that IS can't fix motion blur so if, for example, a Daffodil is moved by the wind and you are only at 1/15th IS won't make the shot sharp.

Thanks Peakoverload

ditto with the tripod

i think a lens hood would have helped with the glare on the left on your last pic

I did Have The Lens Hood on ....

I understand why the first picture is not so good @3.2 sec but where about the rest ??

The harsh truth is there are very few pictures one can take that look exactly how we want them to look straight out of the camera, especially for amateurs like us.
The rest of your pictures look like they have potential. Especially the last one. But they will need some processing I reckon.

Of course the above is just my opinion.

Curious Yellow said:
The rest of your pictures look like they have potential. Especially the last one. But they will need some processing I reckon

I agree - the last one has the most potential

The harsh truth is there are very few pictures one can take that look exactly how we want them to look straight out of the camera, especially for amateurs like us.
The rest of your pictures look like they have potential. Especially the last one. But they will need some processing I reckon.

Of course the above is just my opinion.

Valid opinion too: While it is best to ( try and) get the very best image out of the camera ( takes a lot of practice) , there is no shame in fixing images afterwards as most can look better ( in varying degrees)

The softening has been explained by long exposure. The camera settings also apply some degree of anti aliasing which sharpening in PP, ( using RAW or Jpeg ) can sort out. Some settings also dull contrast and saturation. It is worth experimenting with the different camera settings ( "Picture styles" Canon calls them) or shooting parameters.
If you shoot RAW you can also apply any desired setting to the image within Canons DPP or Raw image task software ( slightly different from cameras settings) before using Photoshop.. ect
The Exposure ( under/ over) can similarly be sorted in camera by using AEB or adjusting the AV comp to vary results

However, all the images look to me as if they have potential :smashin:
Some PP could squeeze that last ounce of detail and tonal range.

Dodgy PP:blush:

448469853_93ecbfd46e_o.jpg

I like the last one's colour and mood. One thing that springs to mind, like me you need to watch your horizon - some are a bit hanging/tilting. Speaking from own experience, I always have a hard time with that, maybe a knick in my very own "lenses". :D
Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Its generally best to get the horizon level but sometimes expediency means taking the picture then later using the free rotate layer tool in PS which can be used to correct it ( as seen in my little pp attempt above)
I deliberately chose one with a really bad tilt:)

Its generally best to get the horizon level but sometimes expediency means taking the picture then later using the free rotate layer tool in PS which can be used to correct it ( as seen in my little pp attempt above)
I deliberately chose one with a really bad tilt:)

Thanks Senu .. I like the way you crop and rotate the picture... I allways shoot in RAW.. but i did not PP this pictures

To tell the true i was expecting better picture from the L lens .. but i can see is not upto the lens to do all the work but the photograper to take good pictures + some PP after...

I will go out again and take some more pictures .. I bought my canon400D about 3 weeks ago and I taken nearly 1800 pictures....

Thanks for all your comments....:thumbsup:

Hernando

me again 2 more pictures from yesterday...

ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/8 sec
Aperture: f/13.0
Focal Length: 24mm

IMG_1769-Edit.jpg

ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/125 sec
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 105mm

IMG_1764-Edit.jpg

Any Comments .. thankss

Like the single bouquet in the secound picture, makes me think of a secret admirer. :)

Much better ,:thumbsup:
I would crop no1 to improve framing but the exposure, colour , and sharpness are a big jump from the first set

Yes.

Pity about the flats in the background. Loads of colour.

Ted.

one more Wedding Rings ...

IMG_1923.jpg

Kit Lens + Close Up Filter...

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom