London 2012 - Did they Flop or was it Fab? (Repeat Poll)

London 2012 Did they flop or was it fab? (repeat poll)

• Flop

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Fab

Votes: 165 95.9%

• Total voters

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Looks like a late vote:

Flop! 59 50.00%
FAB! 59 50.00%

:)

nonumb

Apart from the closing ceremony I think it went about as good as anyone could've reasonably hoped for!

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Only a pure h8r could say it was a flop as an olympiad - other than the seating issue which was resolved it was a big success. It's much to early to look at the wider context of the olympics-for-the UK in terms of economy etc.

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
I think your heart would have to live in a cold, sad, lonely place not to perceive the entire event as a great success

Philly112

Distinguished Member
Well, it's quite difficult to see how anyone could vote 'flop'. It was magnificent, the whole world knows it and accepts it.

Phil

SanPedro

Brilliant event. Helped a lot by the fact that we, as a sporting nation, succeeded massively. 29 GOLD MEDALS (Count'em people!!!). Astonishing when you consider in 1996 we got only 1.

We blew the rest of Europe out of the water. The French Press (according to the BBC) have been a right bunch of whinging moaners this morning:rotfl:.

The German press, on the other hand, have been full of praise for putting on such a fantastic event.

Let's see how much of this success can translate into this much trumpeted 'legacy for a generation'.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Voted Fab again, was my vote on the other thread too :)
Same for me...loved every minute of it and had no doubt London could pull it off.

(pity the closing ceremony has overshadowed another great sporting achievement this weekend with Rory McIlroy winning his second major. Most people wont care, but he's won his second major at a younger age than Tiger Woods did)

Philly112

Distinguished Member
It was Fab. Tickets were a joke though.
They have been for every Olympics, and will continue to be so. Worldwide demand massively outstrips supply. We tried hard to get tickets and were unsuccessful.
They are going to look at the allocations for Rio, but it won't solve the supply/demand issues.

Phil

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
They have been for every Olympics, and will continue to be so. Worldwide demand massively outstrips supply. We tried hard to get tickets and were unsuccessful.
They are going to look at the allocations for Rio, but it won't solve the supply/demand issues.

Phil
Finals of the Mens diving with one of the UK poster boys competing.

In front

Behind

Kind of annoying when I paid nearly five times face value for mine.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I thought it was fantastic. Obviously well organised - the ticketing was always going to be a problem, but was still the best attended games of all time.

I thought it made the UK and London look very good, and I was especially impressed with the quality of the venues - or at least how they looked on TV.

Expensive - yes, but worth every penny.

During the closing ceremony, (which wasn't as good as the opening) I thought that if any aliens were watching they might think that we're not such a bad bunch on earth - if only for a few fleeting moments.

Philly112

Distinguished Member
Finals of the Mens diving with one of the UK poster boys competing.

In front

Behind

Kind of annoying when I paid nearly five times face value for mine.
Yes, that looks bad. But were those seats sold, with people just not attending? Or did they attend, but stay at one of the screens in the park? I can remember well empty seats all over the place at Athens and Beijing. But the organisers insisted that the events were sold out.

Phil

Philly112

Distinguished Member
I thought it was fantastic. Obviously well organised - the ticketing was always going to be a problem, but was still the best attended games of all time.

I thought it made the UK and London look very good, and I was especially impressed with the quality of the venues - or at least how they looked on TV.

Expensive - yes, but worth every penny.

During the closing ceremony, (which wasn't as good as the opening) I thought that if any aliens were watching they might think that we're not such a bad bunch on earth - if only for a few fleeting moments.

The Olympics always bring out the best in humanity. No, we're not a bad bunch, but if they were looking at a live feed from Syria they might form a different opinion. But yes, the games were fantastic in just about every respect.

Phil

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
However much you hate the Olympics, Sport, People, Life in general, I can't see how anyone can vote for a flop.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
I didn't go to any events but as a TV spectacle I think the Olympics were fab.

The best Olympics I've seen. Great venues, great crowds, well covered on TV. Excellent.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
However much you hate the Olympics, Sport, People, Life in general, I can't see how anyone can vote for a flop.
I think they were a great success but from the pov of ticketing and going to see them live, they were an absolute failure, and thats such a big deal i can see how someone could vote flop

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Yes, that looks bad. But were those seats sold, with people just not attending? Or did they attend, but stay at one of the screens in the park? I can remember well empty seats all over the place at Athens and Beijing. But the organisers insisted that the events were sold out.

Phil
God knows, the athletics had already finished so would have thought people would show up. There were hundreds of empty seats.

This was at weightlifting on the Monday, again loads of empty seats and there are no screens for people to watch at the Excel.