1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

loking for the best sound card

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by juls, Oct 17, 2004.

1. juls

juls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there i have just sold my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card and i am looking to by a new card i am putting it in my p4 3 GHz htpc i am looking at this card DIGI96/8 i am hooking it up to a pioneer ax 10 amp any help greatly appreciated.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If that's the RME card then it seems to get 'rave' comments from those who have them .. bit pricey though. :eek:

Why something so sophisticated when you're proesumably feeding SPD/IF into the AX10?

3. juls

juls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice on KraGorn do you have any other suggestion on cards for me to lock at then.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well,the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 is a very popular card, or they do a 5.1 if that's all you need, many HCPC owners round here have them .. they're aimed at the multimedia user more than the gamer, so to that extent they're in the same segment of the market as the RME cards.

5. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd recommend the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 if you're happy with just stereo analogue outs and S/PDIF. Possibly a bit cheaper than the Revolution and it has working ASIO drivers.

Cheers

Simon

6. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do the Maudio cards support Digital Encoding, they say supports Sensaura, EAX, DirectSound and A3D but not sure if that's converting to digital, I just want to have the s/pdif connected and get digital pass thru for DVD but more than stereo for games??

If it doesn't are there any cards that do it, surely if the Xbox can do it it can't be that expensive??

7. laff2k

laff2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't know if this helps but....

I ran my HTPC with an Audigy 2 NX [USB version]. It cost me around £100 and it was truly awful. Usual Creative stuff, had them at various points over the years and never had a good experience. The NX was okay for a while and then it started clicking and popping. Tracked it down to poor Creative XP Drivers [what a surprise].

On a whim I was browsing in PC World one day and they had a Philips PSC604/00 that had the yellow S/PDIF out. It was only £19.99 and it works great. I use it to pass through to my Sony ST_DBR930. Never had an issue with it and my movies sound fantastic [at least to my ears anyway :) ]

You can see the card here

I once read a post somewhere [AVS perhaps?] that expensive soundcards for passthru was nothing more than snake oil. Proved to be right for me.

Cheers

Steve

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agreed, although there are those round here too that argue 'cheap' SPD/IF connections cause problems like jitter .. whatever that is. :rolleyes:

I personally have no problems using on-boad digital outputs, though analog can be somewhat 'iffy' .. but at my age one's hearing has lost a lot at the top end of the spectrum so maybe youngsters can tell the difference. :D

9. juls

juls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys thanks for all your replies I have found a cheap M-Audio Revolution 7.1 it is a revision 3 card what does this mean ? and watt revision of the card are they on now and does any one have any more advice or suggestions on Other cards i was looking at the Audigy 2 ZS oem as well.