Loki (Disney+) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Just watched the new rockstars breakdown of the episode - further confirmed how much I love this show and adore Hiddlestone’s Loki. In particular the opening scene with the use of dialogue from all over the MCU/tv interspersed with world leaders, scientists and activists. I’m absolutely bursting with excitement for what’s to come.

Firstly I wouldn't say for certain that Marvels Falcon is no more, it could and should make a return though probably as a movie.
Loki as a series really should be saved for a weekend binge, if viewed weekly the diverging sub-plots feel like episodes of the 60's version of Lost in Space, and apart from the updated effects and costumes so do most of the comic book characters, all Loki needed was a robot as a companion, all the same his unusually emotional family relationships were interesting to say the least.
The writers have definitely done well creating some story depth for future Loki seasons but the question is how long can time paradox's sensibly last; the answer is forever I guess.
I liked this series though some of the Armageddon CGI could have been a bit better considering the resources Marvel has, I give the show 8 out of 10.

I wish I could muster similar enthusiasm as Markus.

As family viewing, I found it strangely inaccessible; silly in a 'middle aged nerd' sci-fi kind of way (everybody's noticed the Dr Who, Hitchhikers vibes); but also serious and verbose with little of the humour, action and fun of the previous Marvel films that feature the character. I think the main reason I'm being such a negative nelly is that my daughter was anticipating this. She loves the first Avengers film, Guardians, Endgame and especially Thor Ragnarok- mainly for the zany antics, goofy humour and cool action scenes. She laughs uncontrollably at those and I had been looking forward to watching this with her for more of the same. I can't imagine her sitting still for this exposition dump of a show that's almost exclusively set up for future films, full of arcane comic references, and places greatest emphasis not on Loki but on a stroppy, serious side character.

Loki is just along for the ride in this. Barring a few moments where he takes momentary control, he's been like a feather in the wind. Captured, lost, recaptured, beaten, berated, scolded, bewildered. Not a God of Mischief, but a God of listening to exposition and following Sylvie around. Where’s the duplicitous throne seeker from Avengers? or the charming, comedic cad we know and love from the later films? Where's the mischief?

I thought of it a bit like blackadder’s Christmas Carol. The character basically gets to see the horrendous things he’s done and how it affected others. He’s done the mischief thing. This variant is on a less mischievous path, but true to Loki form the one person he truly has feelings for is himself, a variant of. But he still has the mischief and Machiavellian nature in his armoury for future escapades. More please!

I thought of it a bit like blackadder’s Christmas Carol. The character basically gets to see the horrendous things he’s done and how it affected others. He’s done the mischief thing. This variant is on a less mischievous path, but true to Loki form the one person he truly has feelings for is himself, a variant of. But he still has the mischief and Machiavellian nature in his armoury for future escapades. More please!

But his 'Prime universe' iteration already had that character arc in the film series. Seems to me when you have a 'God of Mischief' in a series that heavily involves time travel (!) the possibilities for hilarious and imaginative shenanigans are endless. We could have him undermining crucial historical events, meeting famous figures from history, or interacting with other Avengers at earlier moments in time. What we got was fairly dreary to my eyes, but then I've never been a comic book reader so perhaps the more exciting references were lost on me.

I don't think Wandavision will be beaten as the writing was too good compared to Marvel standard, Wandavision seemed like a experiment project to Marvel and I don't know if we are going to get another Marvel show to that caliber again. Most of them will be pretty dumbed down like Falcon and Loki.

Yes I was hooked on Wandavision as the drip-fed mystery kept me intrigued from episode to episode (thanks in part to those cleverly conceived 'adverts'), and each one was fresh, fun, different and thoroughly entertaining. All the things the better Marvel films get right.

Marvel is leaving me behind now. I enjoyed most of the films, though the "group" ones were much weaker I thought.

Wanda Vision - rubbish
FWS I enjoyed
Loki - fell asleep during the first episode and no desire to watch it again
Saw BW at a friend's last weekend before the match - losing the football was more fun than the film.

So I'm going to leave them all to those who are enjoying them (happy for you). But for me, no more.

I could not get into WandaVision. I really tried - I’ve watched it through twice and just don’t like it.

No interest in watching TFATWS again, was very meh the first time through and struggled with its clear late change in story. And Sam’s ears in that suit…

Loki, however, I thoroughly enjoyed. Will give it another run through soon

But his 'Prime universe' iteration already had that character arc in the film series. Seems to me when you have a 'God of Mischief' in a series that heavily involves time travel (!) the possibilities for hilarious and imaginative shenanigans are endless. We could have him undermining crucial historical events, meeting famous figures from history, or interacting with other Avengers at earlier moments in time. What we got was fairly dreary to my eyes, but then I've never been a comic book reader so perhaps the more exciting references were lost on me.
You've invented a completely different show and now you're disappointed they didn't film it!

What you've pitched sounds like a remake of Quantum Leap which I would be well up for :)

In fact, why has no one re-booted Quantum Leap????

You've invented a completely different show and now you're disappointed they didn't film it!

What you've pitched sounds like a remake of Quantum Leap which I would be well up for :)

In fact, why has no one re-booted Quantum Leap????

Quantum Leap does not need rebooting! Leave it alone!

EDIT: ***! NBC are looking at rebooting it

I could’ve done without the god bothering in quantum leap to be honest. BSG too. Puny god.

I loved this whenever Tom was on screen and Owen Wilson but I really disliked Sylvie,really disliked, she was so annoying because the actress was terrible, I enjoyed the series, if no Sylvie story line this would have been the best as it is Wandavision wins out with this 2nd Falcon 3rd

I'm late to the party on this one and deliberately so. I've just signed up to Disney+ for 1 month just to watch this and WandaVision. Plus anything else that comes along if I have the time.

I watched the first LOKI episode last night and giggled my head off. Wonderful writing and Tom Hiddleston is a wonderful actor. Great stuff. Watched the second today and Owen Wilson is also a dream. Great chemistry between the two and I'm looking forward to the next 4. :thumbsup:

You've invented a completely different show and now you're disappointed they didn't film it
Er, no. I never said that. I was simply pointing out the possibilities of a having a Loki character with access to frickin’ time travel.

However, if I have inadvertently created a Marvel version of Quantum leap, I’m claiming royalties right now. Please make cheques payable to Lucas(isking)film ltd.

Finished this last night and though the weakest of al the 3 series there was far too much chat across the series and most of the last episode was mainly exposition. I also found the picture quite dark. And if not for Richard E Grant last weeks episode would not have been that good.
Actually I enjoyed the one most find the poorest which was Falcon and the Winter Soldier and the Falcon, Fairly straight forward story though the two actors worked together and plenty of action.
Wandavision was OK but took too many to get to the nuts and bolts of the plot and paid too much homage to old tv series which some did like.

Firstly I wouldn't say for certain that Marvels Falcon is no more, it could and should make a return though probably as a movie.
That's already been announced, the next Cap movie will be starring Mackie. I am NOT looking forward to that.

We could have him undermining crucial historical events, meeting famous figures from history, or interacting with other Avengers at earlier moments in time.

yup he could have got involved with vincent van gogh, winston churchill, queen victoria, rosa parks, william shakespear. Then he could have met previous versions of himself and maybe even versions of himself who hes tried to forget, war loki! and top it all he could have travelled about in a blue phone box!

I always say that about shows or films I love but ultimately, Quantum Leap could be a really cool remake, the concept is bullet proof.
Maybe you should check out the You Tube video 'Unsolved Mysteries Of Quantum Leap With Donald P. Bellisario' . Donald says that if this show was brought back he would use all the old sets as he did for the original series.

I loved this whenever Tom was on screen and Owen Wilson but I really disliked Sylvie,really disliked, she was so annoying because the actress was terrible, I enjoyed the series, if no Sylvie story line this would have been the best as it is Wandavision wins out with this 2nd Falcon 3rd
I found nothing wrong with Sylvie, she did well to stay in character playing opposite Tom, even Tom's early rendition of his Loki character had to develop a bit with experience as the Marvel universe and its comic book characters expanded.
I personally liked Richard E. Grants walk on role as the Classic Loki with Alligator Loki close behind, Terry Gilliam would be proud of them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom