1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logos from hell

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by west, Jan 18, 2005.

1. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed recently that Sky have made their logos smaller but made them more intrusive! Previously the huge logos were right in the top left corner, now they are slightly more central and down quite a bit.... ridiculously into the picture!

This is getting beyond the joke , surely the logo should be as un intrusive as possible? To be fair we don't really even need logos any more since at the click of a button we can find out which channel we are on. I mean that used to be the logic behind the on-screen logos, because apparently we wouldn't know which satellite channel we were on? As if we were a bunch of frelling idiots!

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this?

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Totally agree and this issue has been rumbling on for ages. I doubt any of the TV channels will change their policy regarding channel logos or DOG's unless they are forced. :mad: :(

http://logofreetv.org/

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180593

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152550&highlight=DOGS

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98822&highlight=DOGS

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94644&highlight=DOGS

S.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't watch the dogged channels - this is the best way - also make it known and they may have a rethink ALA Channel 5

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    What does Ofcom do for a living apart from apparently nothing?

They seem to let channels do what they want, logos all over the show, increase in advertising breaks etc.

As above I stop watching channels with DOG's.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    What I cant understand is why they are needed in the first place?!. Any one that is able to watch digital channels can see what channel they are watching with info from what ever digital box they are using!.

Also while i am on a rant
    Cutting film credits short or running them quicker to get the film finished
    Anounsers talking over the end credits of your favorite program.
    The same anounsers making smarted mouthed comments either about the show that has just finnished or the one that is coming next.

THAT BLOOMING RED DOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    halfing the screen when the credits are rolling to advertise next weeks episode/next programme/phone help lines.

7. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think with all the recordable media and devices you can buy these days most of the channels real reason for keeping the logos and for interrupting credits/letting them run shorter/faster etc., is to prevent people from recording Films/series 1/1 and sell them as pirate copies.

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People in this country should really stand up against this. Talking over credits, and pushing the credits off to one side so that they can show an ad for another programme is STANDARD PRACTICE ON MOST AMERICAN TV STATIONS!!! (sorry for the caps, but I feel it was needed)

What you're seeing here is just the tip of the iceberg, and if US TV is any indication, it's going to get a whole hell of a lot worse if nobody complains. :mad:

Fight against the DOGS now while you've still got a chance. You paid good money for your TV screens, and you should be able to use 100% of it to watch your favorite shows.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    I find channel 4 the worst culprit these days on terrestrial the have days when they call their viewing T4 (whatever that means) and have a ruddy great big T4 in the corner, then cut the credits to about a quarter so it is impossible to see anything then have 2 gob :censored: pracaling on.

I have also seen the habit if in programs bars appearing seconds before the end saying what is on next on this and other channels. Then when the titles are going up they are squeezed and the info once again displayed and the music talked over.

10. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently spent a week in the US on work. The tv there is awful, there are more adverts than programmes, I found it totally unwatchable. If UK tv gets this bad then it's dvd's only for me.

What really grates me is even the pay for channels have loads of advertising.

Luckily we have the BBC which I personally think is fantastic due to this single reason.

11. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    A shame their digital channels are DOGged to death :mad: and don't get me started on BBC News 24 logo. :rolleyes: :thumbsdow

S.

12. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with all of your points especially those about Sky TV. I mean where do you begin?

First there's the logos. Followed by information about another programme across the top of the screen, not just for a few seconds but throughout the entire show, I think sci-fi is the worst for that.

Then there's the advertising at the end of the programme squashing the show credits and forcing an advert for the next programme or the next episode.

Next, I noticed on FX289 after the programme they slip in a trailer for the next programme before showing the end credits.

It all makes me so angry especially those announcer's making sly comments. Grrrrrrr

The worst part about all of these things is that you pay extra to have your programme demeaned and almost completely ruined.

I'm seriously thinking of jacking in Sky TV and just spending my money on DVDs. That would be an extra five or so box-sets per year with the money saved!

13. Sie

Sie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a copy of a complaint that I made to Ofcom last year and their reply follows:-

I wrote - "I would like to know if there is any likelyhood of Ofcom pursuing any action regarding the intrusiveness of on-screen logos/red dots on many of our TV channels. These logos are often complemented with the even more unnecessary permanent adverts for upcoming shows and the viewer has no choice but to be bombarded with this atrocious graffiti. I call on Ofcom to legislate against these practices so that the UK viewing public can once again watch our choice of programming without all of this patronising and useless clutter on our screens. Without any changes to these practices the future of broadcasting in the UK looks very grim indeed."

Their reply:-

Sender: "Alistair Hall" <Alistair.Hall@ofcom.org.uk>
    To: <sie@******.co.uk>
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Apr 2004 13:34:13.0573 (UTC)
    FILETIME=[55CBE750:01C427A5]
    X-Sent-To: sie@*******.co.uk
    Return-Path: Alistair.Hall@ofcom.org.uk

Dear Mr ******

Logos on TV

Thank you for contacting us. We’re sorry you are unhappy with the display of on-screen logos on television.

The use of such logos and graphics is a relatively new area and as such we’re taking a pragmatic approach to its regulation. We are concerned about the quality standards of the public service providers, and are keen to ensure that such displays should not proliferate on the main terrestrial channels, particularly where this interferes with the narrative of dramas or compromises the editorial integrity of a programme. But it’s difficult to establish hard and fast rules. Ultimately, whether this practice is desirable or irksome is for viewers to decide and it is really only their preference that will dictate such matters over time. Where viewers make us aware of a widespread problem we will contact the licensee.

Although we won’t be taking action in these circumstances, this is certainly an area of concern and your comments have therefore been valuable. I hope I can assure you that we will continue to monitor viewer response to this issue. In the meantime, thank you for contacting us.

Yours sincerely

Broadcast Team - Contact Centre
    Office of Communications
    Riverside House
    2A Southwark Bridge Road
    London SE1 9HA
    www.ofcom.org.uk

Completely useless IMHO, I wonder how many complaints it would take for them to take action? It seems to me that they take action regarding the content of programming on receipt of very few complaints, so why not DOGs?

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I hate DOGS the least irritating is abc1, ITV 2 & 3 are awful as are BBC3 & 4

15. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    What about emails to all the big advertisers pointing out how it is a waste of money advertising on ITV2/3 as the DOGS mean there are less viewers.

BTW, one thing to quote is the only research into DOGS by BBC choice which found 22% said DOGS affected their viewing except their spin was that 78% found it didn't affect them! But what right have the BBC to disenfranchise 1/4 of the viewers? I've emailed ofcom with this and siad what about some research into WHAT viewers actually want - what a novel idea :mad: . Let channels find >50% of viewers who say yes we prefer DOGS. And if it less than 50% then they should remove DOGS :lesson: .

It terms of cost, since I discovered blockbuster unlimited I'm saving over what I used to pay. For the same as the hike to add sky movies I get new release DVDs as fast as I can watch them (1 every 2/3 days). Strange it is the same price :laugh: . Cheaper in the USA but that's no surprise. Stargate Atlantis is just on the DVD list too :clap:.

16. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    well, they just received one more

joe

17. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    I think that a new trend over the last year or so that is very annoying is that channels are now using the on-screen logos to advertise new programmes that are coming on, perhaps next week. Personally I could live with an E4 logo, or Paramount logo, but I hate it when I watch a program and there are 2, sometimes 3 full lines of text permanently on screen saying 'Watch new series of XXXX starting Monday'. If I was anyway interested in the new program starting then I would know when it is on.

I also really hate that RED DOT. I bet I am not the only person here whose Sky remote has the word BACKUP nearly worn away !!

And final thought - a few people have metioned about TV here going the way of US TV - well if we were honest you would have to admit that this decline started long ago. Personally I am baffled sometimes how many channels I have and why I can flick up, then down for hours and find nothing to watch. Programs are on satellite TV just to fill time, the quality is irrelevant. I do genuinely fear for our TV and feel that it will be unwatchable in the next decade or so. 40 cookery channels, 50 shopping channels, 60 holiday chanels, 150 Babe station channels !! The end of the world is nigh.

18. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Totally agree with all your points SOK. And i''d almost forgotten about the extra text they add to logos advertising forthcoming programmes. A recent similar thing which baffled me was the 'Exclusive' wording under 'skyone' for Battlestar Galactcia. Good job it was there though, as i might have started to flcik over and see if any otehr channel was broadcastiong the same programme :rolleyes: . Then to cap it all, towards the end of the 13 part series, they ditch it!!?.