Logitech Z5500 vs. Logitech Z680

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ScotRacer, Mar 14, 2006.

1. ScotRacer

ScotRacer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone owned or tried the Z680 system and compared it to the Z5500? I was wondering because I am about to upgrade my speakers and was wondering if the Z680 is still an amazing piece of kit?

The main reason for me even considoring the older version is the £60 price difference, and the only kit differences I can see is the slightly smaller sub and the lack of documented 96KHz/24bit DTS compatibility.

The application for the system would be just for an analogue output on my laptop and using a TOSlink optical cable for my Xbox 360.

Cheers in advance

2. ScotRacer

ScotRacer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on people some one has bound to have experienced the Z680.
    Any input would be much appreciated

3. fusion7

fusion7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi im using the Z-680 system and have to say its fantastic. i've heard the Z-5500 as well and the difference is extremely marginal...for your applications you won't even notice. There was a detailed review comparing the two online somewhere, i think it was ign.com, and it states that in some areas the Z-680 actually produces a better sound. either way, they're essentially the same system, and certainly not worth the price difference.

any more questions feel free to ask.

4. Tef

Tef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    abit offtopic but i feel like bringing this up, how big is your room or at least the area you want to cover with? because if you have a large area to cover it's better to go for creative while logitech is better for closer range. :smashin:

5. ScotRacer

ScotRacer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a 11 feet x 10 feet room. So its a decent sized gaming room, on that note what is the speaker cable length like? Because on my previous surround sounds they have been a bit lacking and have restricted me in where I can place my speakers, especially the rear ones.

Also I have heard that the subwoofer on both systems is very powerful and great sounding. Can this be turned down though, as my parents do not like the constant booming of my current sub which is only 4" at the moment so I can see doubling the diameter and quadrupling the power will make quite a difference?

Thanks for the current feedback, much appreciated.

6. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hi

I've tried both systems and the 680 esges it ever so slightly (not a lot in it mind) in fact if you check the specs you should see that the speakers are slightly more powerful on the 680's.

Both Subs tend to over power, I had to use the settings on my PC to control the bass as even on the systems minimum setting it tended to be "boomy"

Lovely system though and great dynamic range for PC Speakers!

7. Friko

Friko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just found this thread.
    I received my Z-680 from Amazon today. Brilliant piece of kit.
    It's only £123 delivered, worth it!

8. redblitz69

redblitz69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say it's the mutts nuts :thumbsup:

Cables are a little on the short side mind. Am about to upgrade mine for Silver Anniversary front and centre, and Original for the rear. Then it should be more than enough for XBox and DVD sound. Have only been using it on my pc so up till now.

Sub kicks, and i think i nearly have mine turned right down. WAY too much power!! :eek:

Don't know if it's possible to improve the already great sound? But...... :cool:

9. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Hmm... honestly, honestly don't bother...

10. redblitz69

redblitz69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not mate??

11. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Because you wont hear any difference, your speakers just arn't worth it.

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    to put it a more friendly way :D , you will see just as much improvement using Gale speaker cable from Richer Sounds at £1.50/m......which if you are buying a lot of metres will save you a small fortune...heh...

there really isnt enough in the logi speakers themselves to be worth upgrading to a cable like the Silver Anni......the stuff you get with the logi's could well be a bit too poor to let them sound at their best, but any more than £1.50 a metre is likely to be a waste.....the logis are very good speakers for what they aim to do....but they are not music speakers, they'll sound ok with compressed formats, thats what they are designed for (ie MP3 stylee) and for gaming, also to be fair they do a pretty good job with movies, but with proper CD audio you would get better sound from a £60 pair of Missions and £80 cambridge audio A1 Mk3 stereo amp........and even that combo wouldnt likely benefit from spending on the Silver Anni cable.....more expensive cable simply alters the nature of the sound, it doesnt make it any better......

13. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    I wasnt being mean, I have some cheap logitech speakers for general movie use, they do their job well, however they are crap at music. I don't think upgrading to exspensive cable is worth it at the best of times, it 100% isnt worth it with cheap speakers.

14. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    aye, thats why i suggested he stick with something like the cheap Gale......one of the posters in the thread needs to buy longer cables due to the ones provided not being long enough so he has to choose something, and the gale is well made and lasts, i had some running a pair of Wharfedales for around 7 years...lol......

sometimes its worth trying different cables tho in a cheap price range, some do seem to have a restrictive affect on the sound i've noticed......7oaks had one which i almost bought for my rears, asked if i could borrow a length to try and felt it wasnt quite doing the job, so i ended up buying the MA silver pureflow, but he did it to me half price so it was only £2.50 a metre...heh...(but then they are £400 bipolars, so not exactly budget speakers...heh)

however when i got my second set of rears and needed some cable, i couldnt afford even at a reduced price the the MA Pureflow (i'd just whomped out £1,500 for an MF A5 and a pair of ex-demo SFX...lol)...but they had a new cheapy cable in, which is doing as good a job for the rears as the pureflow does!!...only £1.36/m i think it is......(however as an experiment i hooked my GR10's up with it for a laugh...and it definitely aint up to the job...lol....the treble went harsh and the bass seemed non-existent...heh)

15. redblitz69

redblitz69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for expanding on that chaps.

But i've already got the cable, and didn't pay the full book price for it either. It's not like i couldn't re-use the cable if / when i upgrade because this audiophile malarky has gotten the better of me, is it? :)

I only live in a studio, and this is my 1st venture into something like half decent AV. It'll knock my ******** off anyway, as it'll be new quality sound to me. It'll suit my budget (or lack of)

I should end up with the following:

Pana 26LXD500 , Pana DMRES30V, Sky digital, Logitech Z680 (connected through optical and a splitter) and XBox.

Stereo wise it's budget again:

Cambridge Audio A300 amp (i think?), CA DAB500 , Sony MDS - JE520 , Pioneer CT-W606DR , Phillips CDR765, CA pacific interconnects in the main and some old Pioneer speakers (probs next upgrade - any suggestion welcomed ;) ) wired with Silv Ann XT.

But hey, it sounds good to my ears. :cool:

16. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    If you are on a budget you should buy second hand. Oppertunism is the key, see what is avaliable when you have the cash and build your way up. I think you could easily build a system that would kick the arse of your logitech's for £200

17. redblitz69

redblitz69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I shouldn't have bothered trying, as you guys suggested!!

Both the Original and Silver Ann are too wide for the terminals :thumbsdow

So it looks like i'll now just go for a Gale from Richer as mentioned.

I can stretch to doing the whole system (bearing in mind i've just shelled out over a ton on other cables that'll now sit indoors :( ) on the XL189 cable, or front and centre on the XL315 cable. Anyone used either and can give me an opinion?

Or should i "push the boat out" and go for the Audio Innovations Ultra Micro? (Silver cable is best, no??)

Will i notice much difference on said limited speakers?

All advice greatly received :)

18. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    no don't bother, even if the cables were as super dooper as some people claim, you would only ever be able to tell the difference with very high quality speakers. If you have to change the cables then buy the chepest stuff you can, you're really not going to hear a difference no matter what you do.

p.s. you spent £100 on cables for £200 speakers????

19. redblitz69

redblitz69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not just for the Z680 though, i was doing my HiFi as well. But that can still be used when i upgrade the speakers on that next month (Eltax Monitor 3's ok?).

As i say, i'm on a budget, but probably shoot 1st, then ask the questions. A bit impulsive, and that costs me money :rolleyes:

I have another question for you i mate. I'm going to be connecting my DVD and Xbox into this via an optical splitter. Does it make any sense to go for a Chord Optichord from the splitter into the Z680, and say a couple of Cambridge Audio opticals from the DVD and Xbox into the splitter? Or just stick with the 3 x 2M opticals that came with the splitter?

As you can tell, i'm not really that clued up on what actually works / makes a difference / what you can get away with. More a salesman's dream who'll try and buy what i'm told is the best!! :oops:

20. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    You should have saved the money on cables and used it to buy better equiptment. Despite what some people will tell you cables are generally for bored people who have already spent 10k on a hifi and £200 on cables seems justifyable. Even dealers will only tell you to spend 10% on cables, and they are making profit out of it!

Buy a cheap optical splitter, it isnt gonna make a difference. If you are on a budget you shouldn't have spent more than £10 on cables.

With the eltax's you're getting £60 speakers after spending £100 on cables. Sell the cables and buy better speakers...

21. redblitz69

redblitz69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and it came with 3 leads for about £15. So at least i've done summat right ;)

So, something like the Mordaunt - Short Avant MS902i then?? :thumbsup: