1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logitech Z-680 vs "Proper" separates

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pigpills, Feb 11, 2003.

1. pigpills

pigpills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does anyone know how does the Z-680 pack compete with the 'proper' separates, e.g. a system comprising of, say, Yamaha RXV430/DSP AZ-5 and KEF2005. I know that the kefs must be at least a bit better than the logitech offering, but for the casual gaming and movie watching, is it worth splashing out that much, when you can have a 500W (claimed), all-in-one system?

Thanks

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I would suggest it would be pretty much a night and day difference, but then given the price difference I would be rather annoyed if there wasn't!

For games, unless you have money to burn, I don't think it would be worth it but for movies you will notice a big improvement.

I use the Videologic Sirocco Crossfire system with my PC, a 4.1 setup costing about £230. The difference between that and my HT setup as detailed in my signature is huge, but then it is 10 times the price.

You don't sound too convinced that it is going to be worth it so I suggest you go have a listen. It shouldn't be hard to find a place that can demo the Kefs. The Logitechs are supposed to be pretty good, but that is competing against other multimedia systems, not proper hifi equipment.

BTW that 500W figure is pretty much meaningless. If you actually put 500W of power through speakers in a normal size room you would likely never hear again.

3. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Logitech Z-680s do 450 Watts RMS with peak power double this and some of the American reviewers have previously mentioned the pain that can be induced by turning them up to full volume as well as bass that can 'shake walls'.

They do however use single full range drivers in the satellite speakers so probably cannot deal with the highs as well as good two way home theater speakers and subwoofer. The Kefs incidently use two way satellites.:)