1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logitech Z-560, 400w surround sound speakers

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by kenfowler3966, Jan 3, 2004.

1. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If any one is looking for surround speakers for their computer, I have bought 2 sets of these from PC World at £59.99 each.(One for my son's Xmas present, and I was so impressed with the quality I have bought a set for my computer)

They are fantastic quality, with THX certified 50w speakers with removable covers and a huge 200w base speaker, but no central front speaker. These were reviewed as outstanding when they were £199, even now the same base speaker and 2 front identical speakers as a 2:1 system cost £149 at PC world.

Presumably discounted as not 5:1, but fantastic value nevertheless. Cheapest on line price I have seen is £160, they are to be found if you are lucky near the speaker section but probably with no price near them so they are not selling as they look expensive!

2. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just went and got these myself yesterday following this post, thanks Ken.:smashin:

I only needed them for stereo and saw the other Logitech stereo system also. Thinking they might be cheaper still and forgetting what you had already posted I asked the till guy for the price.

'£149.99 sir',
    '£150 !!!', I replied, 'but you have the same system with four speakers for £59.99'
    'Ah but these are higher quality',he said in reference to the stereo system.

When I pointed out that the 4.1 system used the same speakers and was also made by Logitech he went very quiet.:laugh:

So I intend to use the 4.1 system for stereo by not connecting the rear speakers and only feeding an input signal in via the front stereo channel. I can then use the fader control to maximise the power to the front channel. Hopefully there is no protection circuit that prevents the amp from working when used in this way.

3. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Thanks - I went to buy a pair yesterday - none on the shelves but there was one in stock at the back.

Very nice speakers indeed for 59 quid - very impressed - I decided to upgrade to these from a 5.1 setup of Creative Labs 5300 speakers and glad I did - I can sacrifice the centre channel for the increase in quality.

Cheers, Mark.

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I went and bought 3 sets on Sunday.

Haven't heard them yet but I've got a set for home, a set for work and another set for a pal at work who asked me to get him some.

Seem VERY good quality!

Thanks!

Mark.

5. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    WOW! just picked up a set from pcworld in Bath and for 60quid, they are incredible! the sub is worth the money alone, or buy a couple of sets and make a 6.1 satellite arrangment with another amp....

If anyone is interested, there were 4 sets left in stock, tho i might well be back down there to get another set. although the sales assistant was probably gonna take a set

Thanks for the spot Ken

6. Doublespresso

Doublespresso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up the last one from Staples Corner! It was in the storeroom not on dispaly on the shlef...
    They look good <heavy too>

Cheers Ken! :))

Doublespresso

7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Picked up a pair in Leicester today amazing for the money. They are a 4.0 design rather than 4.1 but suit my sounblaster platinum 4.0 card perfectly and play to earsplitting levels.

8. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    anyone know how i could make the sub take a standard phono input? i'm very interested in making a 6.1 surround sound system from a couple of sets to be run off a seperate amp but need to know if adaptors are available for the strange input connection on the sub.

Many thanks

9. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The inputs are via 3.5mm stereo jacks one for the front and one for the rear. The sub reproduces all the deep bass from these and then sends the rest of the signal to the sats. So if you get a single phono to 2 phono adapter and a 2 phono to 3.5mm stereo adapter you could plug the combined lead into the controller of the z560. It'll work but what isn't clear is whether not plugging the sat speakers in will do any harm. I can't see how it can but the manual provides almost nothing to help. In terms od output the sub has bested my mission 70ASE and an Eltax Atomic 10.2 that I'm currently playing with. However, it doesn't give the tight, clean bass that most enthusiasts crave.

The sats take bare wires or banana plugs so I slotted them into my mainsystem and tried them as a stereo pair with a Servo 15. The worked surprisingly well like this and I may even use 2 of them as rear surrounds in my bedroom system.

Overall for £60 I'd buy them and give them a try.

10. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    well i've bought a 2nd set and set 3 fronts up with my Marantz SR6200 amp and left the PDR-12 set up with usual surrounds and they sound very good for less than a tenner each!

I'll have a go at working out wiring up the sub as i really want the system to work out as a cheap surround sound setup for my girlfriend to connect up to her dvd player.

Can you buy a 'female' 3.5mm connector? i have a 3.5mm to 2 phono lead that i used to connect a portable MD to amp to get me started....

Thanks again

11. MalcolmD

MalcolmD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for posting this offer, and with your advice I have a purchased a set. However not sure if the built in sound on the motherboard does them justice as they are sounding a bit too bass(ey), even with the sub turned right down.

Has anyone got any suggestions on a decent sound card to go with these speakers, hopefully not expensive as I am still suffering from the 'what the heck have you bought now'.

Hope you can help.

12. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'm using a Creative Labs Soundblaster Platinium Live 4.0 sound card. Should be able to pick one up on ebay for £20-£30 (more if you want the breakout connection box (fits into a 5.25 bay). I think this sounds pretty good and I was pleased with it even at its new price of £130 a few years ago.

13. pardip

pardip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got a code for these speakers?

14. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Monketnuts wrote:-
    I haven't tried it yet but I've the bits and can't see whay this won't work.

Both of the Speaker system mini-jacks
    into
    Maplins Stereo headphones mini-jack splitter
    into
    Maplins Stereo Mini-jack(Female) :Mini-jack(Female)adapter
    into
    Mini-Jack to 2 RCA (Phono)
    into
    2 RCA:1 RCA adapter

I happened to have most these leads lying around anyway but should work OK. I don't think that lot would all that much in Maplins.

I'd point out that this is a temporary setup intended for the living room until I locate a reasonable sub for around £200.

Mark.

Mark.

15. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mark,

Thanks for the advice, i have bought a Stereo Mini-jack(Female) --Mini-jack(Female) adapter for £2 from my local audio/video shop and found a 3.5mm--female phono socket lying around that i can connect the subwoofer lead to directly.

Works a treat and sub seems to come to life with the signal from DD/DTS from my AV amp. not quite up there with my PDR-12 but more than good enough for my old man.

Thanks again

Sam

16. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought one of these, and for the price, Im very impressed by the overall quality.

Totally worth £60

The weird this is, that pc world didnt even advertise it like '£179.99 down to £59.99' . It just said 'Great value'

Thanks for letting us know kenfowler3966 :smashin:

All I need now is a decent sound card to really do them justice.

17. pardip

pardip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone that has purchased this speaker set please post the item code so that I can enquire about stock at my local PC World? My local branch never seems to have anything in stock so I want to make sure they have it before making the trip. Thanks!

18. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Code on the receipt is LOGITECH Z-560 SPEAKER 630561 £59.99

19. pardip

pardip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.. will enquire tomorrow :)

20. THFC

THFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  21. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  22. THFC

THFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes these speakers are fantastic got mine today from Gloucester. Been umming and arring for ages.

Stuff any others these are quality for the cash.

Also had a 10% off coupon so cost under £54

Gloucester Pc World has boxes of them but none are marked up with prices

QUALITY Spot Thanks

23. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a set on saturday in oldham, would've been silly not to.
    They had a fair few left.

I'm only using the fronts at the mo, and even my mrs loves them. A good spot mate, thanks.

Will just running the fronts cause any strain? (i know i shoud know but i don't)

24. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I picked up some on Saturday too, they're practically giving them away so as Keanyboy says, it'd be silly not to!

Just using the stereo pair will be fine - it just leaves a little extra power for the sub and satellites. It's a bit like turning down the rear pair, or turning up the sub.

I've got the stereo pair and sub in my room and used the remaining pair as rears downstairs on my main setup to very good effect.

My parents don't understand why I need 5 speakers in my room, and 6 downstairs though :rolleyes:

25. Doublespresso

Doublespresso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ".....Also had a 10% off coupon so cost under £54...."

Where do you get a 10% coupon from?

26. Doublespresso

Doublespresso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you get a 10% coupon from?

27. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice one for the info john. Can't get over the price. I normally slate pc world for what they charge.

28. THFC

THFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Take out a Pc World Marbles credit card with 9 months interest free on purchases and balance transfers. (In store form) and get 10% off you first order voucher.

I did this intending to buy a Minolta Z1 from Pc world online interest free and with 10% off your first order at £229 - cheapest in the country.

But then realised you can only use the voucher in store and not online. £100 difference, so i bought the camera else where and used the 10% voucher on the speakers instead

Hope that clarifies 10% off

The card is good way to get interest free purchases now though. Voucher only goes up to the value of £250 though

29. Doublespresso

Doublespresso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks THFC, clear now,

funny, coz I was going to order teh Z1 online at £229 but they put the price up to around £260!
    Kicking myself for missing out on the deal..

Doublespresso

30. gromet

gromet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just bought a set from the Farnbourgh store. They didn't have any on the shelf (not even a ticket and an empty space) so I asked a chap if they had any in the stock room - to my joy he came back with a set. Excellent.

The guy on the checkout couldn't believe it when he scanned it in for £59.99!

Once set up these speakers are very loud and very clear. Nothing else comes close at the price.

A great find.