Logitech Z-5500

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ftogpx, Mar 10, 2006.

1. ftogpx

ftogpx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if some current owners could give their opinions on the z5500s. I'm thinking about getting some but:

a) my computer room is only about 7' x 7' - in all honesty, would they be overkill for a room this size? What are the dimensions of the sub (WxDxH) cos it looks huge!

b) is the £190 from amazon the cheapest around?

merci

2. ethelindvaal

ethelindvaal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running the 5500's in a 6' x 9' room and they sound fine. only problem is
    that if you turn up the sub too far in a small room it does become overkill.
    i'd reccomend 3 on the level bar.

3. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    got mine in a 7' x 7' room and the subwoofer size-wise is stupidly massive in my small room.

sound wise though it's excellent. you have complete control over the volume of all the speakers.

i have the volume on 4 bars in a detached room.

yes amazon are cheapest i found by far.

one thing though, the inputs are limited to 1 coax and 1 optical plus 5.1 pc soundcard connection.

suits my needs though.

4. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I have one, the older set, had a few problems, there was a constant humming noise form the sub which can be distubing if you are sleeping in the same room as it, H have had my set for just over a year, and once a day in makes this random static noise from each speaker, kinda annoying when your watching TV or browsing the net, I have the SUb under my computer desk...

5. DisguisedCoot

DisguisedCoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    i also have a set and they seem to make a humming noise now and again, but only from the sub. I use them in my cinema room and married up to my 7ft screen they sound fantastic for the price.

6. ScotRacer

ScotRacer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also looking at purchasing a set of these speakers as my old surround doesnt quite cut it anymore. Now I also have a couple of questions;

Does the sub not overpower the treble because of its size and relative small room size these will mostly be used in?

Also how do these speakers fair in music reproduction? With the lack of tweeters won't the sound be rather flat and with the huuuuuuge 188W sub won't the bass line always be too intrucive even though music is played using the Dolby Pro Logic 2 function?

Cheers

7. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I use an Audigy 2 ZS on my pc and the analogue outputs to drive the speakers, music and movies sound great throguh analogue and just as good through SPDIF, in fact the 360 sounds pretty amazing hooked up ot one of these, music gets converted to ac3 on the 360 so it's not that good compared to the pc, but for gaming it is great, I have my sub set to 1.5 bars, and it has enough bass....

8. ScotRacer

ScotRacer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks man, that was my only concern about the system whether or not there was an inherant exaggeration of bass.

These speakers are a good price (still £188.15 on Amazon) but I am a student and it is still quite a bit of money, so I was wondering has anyone tried the Logitech Z680's. I am asking since they are the predecessor to the
    Z5500 and cost around £70 less on average. Are they any good in comparison?

Cheers

9. Numbskull

Numbskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aright

so im planning on getting the 5500 set up in a fairly small bedroom

people have said the sub is stupidly big - how big is that?

and secondly (now dont laugh) can i place a rear speaker under my bed - i mean is that just plain stupid - i dont have the space really to have the rear anywhere else (for it to be behind me) and the way my room is set up its the only place.
    would i be able to hear it properly, or will the sound just be drowned out with it being under the bed.

cheers
    Mark

10. ftogpx

ftogpx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i'm gonna go for the Logitech Z680. Apparently it was the model before the Z5500. Its got a 8" sub so should be more appropriate for my room and it's £60 cheaper. :)

11. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I would still go for the Z-5500...it packs a punch..., the sub is quite big,but can be put under a desk, I have not set up the surround sound speakers, you don't have to, so I am using it in a 3.1 setup, with the pc/360 set to output 5.1, so I loose the rear channels, But I odn't care much as there is not much data in the rear channels any way..

12. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    deffo overkill for that room but it offers more sonic ability than the other set

I had a set of Z-5500's about 6 months ago for a PC setup and I sold em on as I couldn't justify the spec really, then came an Xbox 360 and last month a HD projector, so guess what I've just bought for my 10'x10' room :rolleyes:

I offered an ebay seller the same price as Amazon [his are sealed and unused] and he accepted, so worth looking there on the off chance you could save a few quid for a 2nd hand set IMO

13. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    sub dimensions are 13" high 13" wide and 18" deep. plus a small amount for wires sticking out the back.

and it comes with a warning stating due to the powerful magnets in the sub you should not place the sub within 2ft of a TV or the like......

14. mike32pf9966/79

mike32pf9966/79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    man dont think just bu7y these speakers i got mine march 2005 for 650 aus dollars and have never had one problem with them these speakers are a powerhouse for a standard bedroom u can crank it almost full blast and it wont even so much as hickup, they are thx certified do over 90hz and have dolby digital and dts decoding did i mention they look awsome,get them for gaming movies or music and pc tv as well, earthshacking sub.:smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

15. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    amazing, you quote the original poster and completely ignore his specific questions :)