• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Logitech Z-5500 Digital + Samsung LE37M87BD - Optical Connection

Maytsoba

Standard Member
Greetings,

I own a Samsung LE37M87BD TV-LCD and I'll soon buy a surround system. The TV supports optical sound (one optical sound out) and the Logitech Z-5500 Digital has one optical input. My question is, will I get full advantage of the audio system connected directly to the TV by an optical cable? I also have an Xbox 360 connected to the TV by an HDMI cable and I believe that I won't have any sound problem with that to.
Maybe you can help figuring out this doubt of mine.

Thank you,
Maytsoba

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Sending optical from the TV to a 5.1 system will give you 2.0 (Stereo), the TV WILL NOT pass ANY form of 5.1 to the optical lead from other sources. If you are looking at the Z5500 and expecting to pay £200 for it I would say you are throwing your money away, same problem with all-in-one systems.
1. It is not upgadeable.
2. One part fails it all in the bin.
3. It is a PC speaker system.

Try looking at something like this http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/542070/art/yamaha/av-3101-home-cinema-syste.html good priced starter AV system, or one step up http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/542109/art/yamaha/av-4101-home-cinema-syste.html.

B

beefy2

Hi i have the 40 inch samsung and looking to hook up some speakers as well but will it be better too hook up the sound directly to the x box or through the tv. Im looking for some half decent speakers not too much over 200 pound or even less if that is possible. Will i get 5.1 from a home cinema system because i believe like you said you wont if you use the 5500's due to pc spec.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Hi i have the 40 inch samsung and looking to hook up some speakers as well but will it be better too hook up the sound directly to the x box or through the tv. Im looking for some half decent speakers not too much over 200 pound or even less if that is possible. Will i get 5.1 from a home cinema system because i believe like you said you wont if you use the 5500's due to pc spec.

You won't get 5.1 from the 5500 if you connect the sound from say your XBOX to the TV and then optical to the 5500. The XBOX output MUST go direct to a suitable AV amp for 5.1 to happen, I did not say it would not work through the 5500, it will BUT not via the TV it must connect direct..
The starter systems that I quoted are excellent buys and will stand you in better stead for the future as they can be built on/upgraded etc etc not like all-in-ons/PC Speaker systems.

Maytsoba

Standard Member
Sending optical from the TV to a 5.1 system will give you 2.0 (Stereo), the TV WILL NOT pass ANY form of 5.1 to the optical lead from other sources. If you are looking at the Z5500 and expecting to pay £200 for it I would say you are throwing your money away, same problem with all-in-one systems.
1. It is not upgadeable.
2. One part fails it all in the bin.
3. It is a PC speaker system.

Try looking at something like this http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/542070/art/yamaha/av-3101-home-cinema-syste.html good priced starter AV system, or one step up http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/542109/art/yamaha/av-4101-home-cinema-syste.html.
I’ve checked the amplifier you told me (Yamaha AV-4101) and I really like it so far. Just tell me if this is the best solution for connecting all the devices:

- Xbox connected via HDMI to the TV and via optical cable to the Yamaha amplifier;
- TV connected via optical cable to the Yamaha amplifier;

This way I suppose I’ll get surround sound from the Xbox and from the TV using both optical inputs of the amplifier. My question now is: since this is a pure home cinema, will the games sound as good as in Logitech Z-5500 Digital, for example?

Thank you for helping,
Maytsoba

charlysays

Established Member
Yes you connections are correct.

Most people I know use a AV system for their Xbox's and not some PC system.
But not everyone? Have you ever heard the Z-5500 perform? I have been astounded by the sound quality of my Z-5500 setup and have my Xbox 360 and HTPC connected Via Optical and coaxial for 5.1. Now am I am no sound engineer but I have a very nice sounding 800w Pioneer/Jvc build in my car and the logitech system in my house sounds just as good, if not better.
They are of Course THX Certified for home Cinema, so the not some PC system comment sounds a wee bit like AV snobbery to me. I prefer Bang for buck and it's not like they give out THX Certification to anyone these days is it? Myself and I'm sure some others, possibly "most people" took the time to read about the studio quality sound and specs on the logitech website then bought the system. Nice and easy to set up, ok The sub is rather large, the remote looks cheap but the control unit is quality.
And on the subject of THX, this says it all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX

PS: Forgot to say I changed the speaker cable to a better quality one so adding £20 to the overall price but it did make a difference, even better sounding :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom