Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter for Bluetooth® audio devices

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by DECKARD71, Dec 22, 2011.

1. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Hi all

I have searched the forum with no results, so I am asking: Has anybody tried this new device?

Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I currently use an Apple TV to stream music from my iphone and ipad to the AV receiver. I am more than happy, however it resamples music to 48khz, and when I stream music from my iphone to the AV directly (I can also do that, with no Apple TV in the middle) I notice a better quality, as it keeps 44.1khz

You might wonder why I do not always use the second method (from iphone to AV directly). It is just because it does not accept m4a format (apple lossless) so I can use it only for mp3

So, if anybody has tried it, please share your view on it. I have made hundreds of searchs in internet and still do not know which sample it delivers, 44.1 khz or 48 khz. For the price it deserves a try

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Bluetooth has limited bandwidth (768kbits/s) and this is further limited to 512kbits/s for stereo so you will struggle to get hi-quality sound this way. You need a BT device that supports apt-X to get hi quality sound sound over BT

I am right in understanding what you are saying with your setup - that a lossy codec mp3 at 44.1kHz is better quality through your stereo than apple lossless at 48kHz when streamed by an Apple TV?

3. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Hi Iarkone

Thanks for the reply

TBH I do not know how bandwith affects quality, I understood that if bandwith is enough to transport data, then is ok. Is 512kbps not enough for music?

Indeed I get better quality from a mp3 at 44.1khz (especially 320k mp3) directly from the iphone to the AV, than from a m4a (lossless) at 48khz from Apple tv.

In fact there is not much difference between mp3 and m4a when streamed both via Apple TV at 48khz

Regards

4. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Lossless bit rates will be around 800-1411kbps so the ad2p protocol on BT will not give you the improvement you are looking for. You would probably be better of getting an Airport Express which keeps your stream at 16/44.1 and use the optical out and let your receiver decode the stream - you don't say what receiver you have but am assuming you have a spare optical input.

5. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Ok but which is the bandwith needed for mp3, just for curiosity. I have a very capable AV yamaha rx-v2067 so of course it has optical inputs. In fact I was about to buy the Airport Express, but at that time the Apple TV was just released, at not much higher price, so I went for it, not only thinking about streaming music but also videos and movies, pictures, and the cool feature of seeing the album cover art in the tv, etc

Now my hearing wants more, so unless Apple TV fixes the 48khz issue, I will go for other streaming device, not yet sure if Airport Express or another one with 1080p streaming capabilities

6. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Mp3 bitrate depends on what quality setting you have. Have looked at the specs for your receiver and it does support mpeg4 - Page 145 of your manual. Why not connect your receiver by ethernet and stream music that way from your PC or Mac and take the Apple TV out of the audio equation. It supports cover art as well. If your receiver is not recognising m4a files then try changing the extension to mp4.

If you really want to go with the best quality then step out of Apples walled garden, rip your music to flac and use one of the many free s/w products to stream to your receiver and remote control it with your i-things.

7. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Yes, the issue is that both my PC and AV are DLNA. This sounds good, but the truth is that 70% of the times the AV does not see the PC, and in addition DLNA protocol does not support lossless audio streaming

I will keep searching, your advice of using AV&PC is the best option of course, however I have those 2 issues: connection and lossless

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  8. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    According to the manual it does support flac and other lossless formats over dlna

DLNA
    Version 1.5 (DMP & DMR support)
    Audio Format MP3,WMA,WAV,MPEG-4 AAC,FLAC
    Max Audio Support fs 96kHz/24bit
    Cover Art Format PNG,JPG

I would hazard a guess that the issue of network connectivity will have more to do with either your router or PC setup (including firewall or anti-virus)

9. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Yes that is the theory, but DLNA and lossless are not friends at all

10. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Well, I connected the AV directly to the ethernet connection of my living room (previously it was to a switch) and now I can see the Asset upnp server

It is wonderful, I can stream now m4a, dts, flac, etc. Great sound and nice navigation from iphone (though not as good as from Apple tv, but what matters is sound), so very happy with Asset upnp

Next step is to make it work connecting the AV via Switch, as I need a Switch to share the ethernet connection with the Apple tv (which I will use less from now on as I dont like the 48khz resampling), the PS3 and the MediaCenter HDD

So.... I am not trying the topic of this thread, logitech wireless adapter

Cheers

11. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Glad you got it sorted - it sounded like a network issue. If you want to re-introduce a switch then look into whether your router has QoS settings so you can prioritise media files

12. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks Iarkone. I am changing to a n-router today, so I will look at that