Logitech Squeezebox Touch Media Servers Left Behind With a WiFi Upgrade?

Duke Raoul

Novice Member
Reaction score
Recently, I upgraded my creaking, 10-year old Apple Airport WiFi base station and repeater network to an ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 XT8 system with two routers, one base, the other acts as the repeater. Signal strength, speeds and stability are now off the charts. Loving it.

However, I seem to have lost some legacy wifi clients with the upgrade. I have four Logitech media servers, two Squeezebox Touch and two Squeezebox Radios. I put all four on the new network, and everything operated perfectly for the first one or two days. Then, one by one, my units lost their connection to the Logitech Media Server (v.8.2.0) that I run on my Mac Pro (OS 11.6), rendering them worthless. This is baffling, because I can see the devices on the network via the router’s GUI, but apparently they cannot see my Mac Pro on the same network.

I have trolled through the ASUS Support FAQs on the AT8 and WiFi mesh in general, but I cannot figure out what the problem is or how I can fix it. Is it a question of my older devices not able to use the 5Ghz frequencies? I would figure a dual-band system as advanced as the XT8 could sort this, but I am not an absolute expert with wifi networks, and the GUI is somewhat overwhelming. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Try splitting the two bands (2.4/5Ghz) with specific SSIDs for both and try connecting everything in question to the 2.4Ghz band. Your old kit will only connect to that.

It could be the wireless protocol.

Try separating the SSIDs as @larkone suggests, if that doesn't work, then in the Wireless options on the general tab, on the router webpage, check what option is selected for wireless mode for the 2.4GHz. Then try selecting legacy or N mode only and see if that works.

As a secondary thought, it could be IP conflicts.

How is the Mac connected, wired or wireless? I'm assuming wired so doubt splitting bands in this instance will help because as @larkone said, the SB hardware only supports 2.4GHz. No harm in trying though & generally useful to know what's connected to which band.

I'd suspect cross-channel interference on the 2.4GHz band, which is the most congested. Not sure on the current status of InSSIDer but if they have a free version, that will let you see competing routers. Ditch your router's WiFi auto channel select & manually set it to the lease congested of channel 1, 6 or 11. This will also eliminate the possibility of the router auto selecting channel 13, which is problematic for SB hardware.

You could also try enabling the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin in LMS & see if other devices can see & play from the server.

Another thought - have you switched off DHCP in one of the routers, you don't want it running on both.

Thank you for all your replies. I connect to all my network devices wirelessly over WiFi (of course), and I store my music files on my Mac Pro (Nearly a terabyte, 30+ years of curated CDs and digitized vinyl). However, my Mac Pro is on the 5 Ghz part of the network, and the Squeezeboxes on the 2.4 Ghz. You would think that is the problem, but as I said, the Squeezeboxes worked perfectly well the first couple of days. Moreover, my old Apple Airport WiFi hand the two bands, and my Mac Pro was always on the 5 Ghz but could still communicate with the boxes on 2.4 Ghz. Let me try out your suggestions and I will report back. Thanks again!

I have the Asus system. Use the app to check that it sees the SBs. Also I would expect that they all have new ip addresses, including the server. So find out the new ip address of the server and check it matches what the SBs think they talk to.
Agree on previous post too, make sure your Internet router is in modem mode or you will have chaos because two systems are providing addresses.
Being on different radio frequencies won't matter.

Let us know how we can help further. The Aimesh is awesome but a bit complicated

I have the Asus system. Use the app to check that it sees the SBs. Also I would expect that they all have new ip addresses, including the server. So find out the new ip address of the server and check it matches what the SBs think they talk to.
Whether they are assigned new IPs shouldn't matter as the SlimProto network protocol used by the Logitech Media Sever & the Squeezebox streamers should automatically handle that situation during the device discovery phase - the 'lost' SBs sending a discovery message via a UDP broadcast to port 3483, with LMS always listening on that port and therefore taking note of the (new) IPs.
LMS's discovery response message is via UDP to port 3483 of every SB that LMS has received the discovery message from and the SBs will now know LMS's (new) IP & remember it in order to use it for all further communications with LMS (via TCP to port 3483).

So, in order for the SlimProto network protocol (and in particular its device discovery process) to work properly without any complications, all the devices should be assigned an IP on the same subnet, eg, 192.168.1.xxx (not to mention making sure no firewall on the network is blocking port 3483 on the SBs & the computer running LMS). Also, by making sure all the devices are not assigned a new IP every time they connect to the network would prevent the need for the SBs to broadcast the discovery message in the first place.

BTW, there is no method provided on a 'lost' Squeezebox for the user to check what the (old) IP is of the Logitech Media Server it is wanting (but failing) to communicate with. That's all hidden away from the user and only available to someone competent in using a network protocol analyser, such as Wireshark.

Last edited:
thanks for that, it's interesting to know. I don't know what I've been doing wrong or my network's playing at but whenever the IP of my Lms server had changed, the various Touch and picoreplayers never find it again and I end up having to add the IP by hand in the advanced network settings (I think it's in the Remote Library settings)

Ah, if you've always had to add the IP for LMS yourself, then there is an issue with your network's setup. If all your devices are on the same subnet, then I'm guessing your network is for some reason (unexpectedly) not allowing UDP broadcasts on it (or at least not to port 3483 of the devices that are on the subnet) and hence the SlimProto auto device discovery mechanism fails.

I can see now how you are able to have one or more of the old IPs for LMS listed on the various Touch & piCorePlayer devices' Remote Library settings, as you must added have added them there previously yourself!
When working, the automated device discovery mechanism does not add the discovered IP for LMS to that list - the list is just there for the IPs you've added manually.

thanks for that, it's interesting to know. I don't know what I've been doing wrong or my network's playing at but whenever the IP of my Lms server had changed, the various Touch and picoreplayers never find it again and I end up having to add the IP by hand in the advanced network settings (I think it's in the Remote Library settings)
Do you turn off your LMS server often? If so does it get a new IP address everytime? If it does, then the router is assigning it the next free IP from the DHCP pool, you should set your router to assign it a fixed IP (based on the mac address of your server), that way the IP will be the same even after a reboot. This obviously doesn't address the issue of your players not auto detecting the LMS IP.

No, not often. I'm talking about when I moved to the aimesh system instead of letting the virgin router run the show. All new ip addresses for everything in the house because the asus used the 192.168.50 range. I was facing all sorts of other battles so gave in and went with it.
The lms is now fixed and all is well.
Were talking about a house with cat5/6 everywhere, switches, the lot. But yes, it does sound like something's blocking the protocol.
Hmm, now I cast my mind back some of the players picked up the lms and some didn't....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom