Logitech Squeezebox Boom versus Pure AVANTI Flow

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by SWANY, Feb 1, 2009.

1. SWANY

SWANY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is two of us, my girlfriend and myself. We each have an ipod and a last.fm account. I'm technical and she is not. She desperately wants internet radio, what do we get?... Logitech Squeezebox Boom or Pure Avanti Flow?

The Pure Avanti Flow has an ipod dock and I suspect the presence of an ipod would make our music library easier to navigate (this would be our main source of music)? I know you can hook an ipod to the Squeezebox Boom, but suspect you can't use the remote to control any connected ipod?

Whilst last.fm is built into the Squeezebox boom I don't suspect we'll use it (in terms of radio channels offered), we'd just want to scrobble any music played which can be done when syncing our ipods. Are there any other really neat killer services that the Squeezebox Boom offers that I'm missing?

I understand that one of the advantages of the Squeezebox Boom would be to extend it into a multi-room player in the future, but I don't think this is an issue for us (although the Duet does look neat). So, everything would seem to point towards the Pure Avanti Flow, however, I'm a little concerned with how usable it is and how good/extendible it's online services are (by all accounts build and sound quality is top notch). Any opinions/experiences?

2. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    >Are there any other really neat killer services that the Squeezebox Boom offers that I'm missing?<

Integration with iTunes and stream music from PC/laptop/NAS
    Integration with deezer as well as last.fm
    Integration with MP3Tunes Locker
    BBC Listen Again
    Wider range of feeds supported (AAC++)
    Manage device & internet radio favourites from SqueezeNetwork web-site
    RSS feeds
    Subwoofer out
    £60 cheaper

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  3. SWANY

SWANY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As my music is held on a laptop I don't want to keep this on all of the time, so the ipod dock on the Pure AVANTI Flow is an attraction.

However, I'm thinking the Squeezebox Boom maybe better in the long run as eventually I am wanting to set-up a Windows Home Server. How easy is it to navigate an itunes library from the SqueezeBox Boom (where said library is on a NAS drive or WHS).

4. RSK21

RSK21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I would say very.

I got a Boom for Christmas to go with the two squeezeboxes I already have.

I have had SqueezeCenter running on an HP WHS for over a year now and I also run iTunes on the same server as it feeds both the Squeezeboxes for music and an Apple TV for Video.

Happy to try and answer any specific questions you might have.

Should have added that if you plan to go the Homeserver route then I would 100% go for the Squeezebox. As for your Ipod well the Boom has a half decent line in which you could easily conect an ipod dock or 3.5mm hook up to if you don't want to have your PC o 24/7 until you get the server.

RSK

5. SWANY

SWANY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers RSK21, your response is steering me towards the Boom.

A little off topic, but maybe you can satisfy my curiosity. Do you have more than 1 itunes library running off your WHS? If so, how easy is it to manage? - From my experiences, Apples approach to itunes doesn't make life easy for those with multiple ipods!

Also, I'm holding off WHS for now as I'm not sure how mature it is (plus hoping a newer version with Windows Media Centre may come about). What are your experiences?

Mind you, with WHS Power Pack 2 possibly coming out this year along with Windows 7, I might have to bite the bullet!

6. Member 7321

Member 7321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    iTunes, I have found that switching off auto sync on each player and having a single iTunes collection has helped a lot with the 4x iPods we have in our house. I now simply connect the iPod and drag and drop through iTunes the music that I want to put on the particular iPod.

Windows Home Server - this software is based on Windows Server 2003 and can be considered to be very mature. Like RSK21 I have been using a WHS box for about a year now and I have found it to be very reliable especially for running SqueezeCenter and iTunes. If you aren't mega technical it is very easy to setup and use. If you are feeling a bit more adventurous then also check out FreeNAS.

HTH

7. RSK21

RSK21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi there - No I only run 1 x library on my WHS. In reality I have it as a back up of my ITunes library on my main PC. They are totally seperate from each other but basically it means if one goes pop I've always got the other to fall back on and I do all my Ipodding directly on the main PC library. It menas sthat I have to manually keep them in sync but assuming you alreday have all of music and video ripped the it's not really a pain to just add any new content incrementally.

As for WHS I have to say I am really impressed. It seems very stable and reliable now since the introduction of PP1. I have one of the HP EX470s and it is an excellent device. As with other things it's some of the 3rd party add ons which add some real extra value. I use it for PC backups, document archiving (via an excellent add in called Digital Archound), website management and photo site hosting (add in called Whiist), music and video (serving 3 x Squeezeboxes, 1 x Apple TV and a PS3), torrents, and as a print server. Unfortunately as far as I can tell integration of WMC is not on the cards in the near future unfortunately.

RSK21

8. SWANY

SWANY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again rsk21. Think I'm definitely going to look into WHS and the Boom. I was always thinking NAS drives were where it was at, but bang for the buck seems to be with WHS and I might look into a Tranquil PC or some of the smaller netbook like machines that are coming about. Oh, and cheers for the heads up on Whiist, sounds interesting.