Logitech remotes

florida747

HI people, im considering a logitech and just wondered if at £40.10p the Harmony 525 is a capable do it all remote? my second question is if you go to the logitech 1000 is it worth the extra £240 quid:eek:
Also do they handl the sky+ & sky-hd ok? (recording ect)
Any constructive advice would be appreciated:thumbsup:

Cynar

In answer to your first point absolutely yes!

I reckon the Harmony 525 is one of the best value for money gadgets I've ever bought. I change my electronics equipment like some people change their socks and my 525 has controlled everything I've ever owned absolutely perfectly.
It's the first truly universal remote I've ever owned and by that I mean the first that has lived up to the hype and actually replaced all my existing remotes. I find it's actually better to use than many of the originals!

Only criticisms I'd have are

1) It feels a bit cheap and plasticky (having said that it's survived use by the world's clumbsiest wife and two toddlers!)
2) It doesn't have a docking station and rechargeable batteries (but at the price that really would be expecting too much.)
3) The online setup is not the most intuitive (although once you get the hang of it it's actually remarkably quick and easy to use.)

I personally wouldn't pay the extra for the 1000 - for a start it has a touchscreen and after owning a Philips Pronto I realise that they look great but I find them awful to use. Look at the size and shape too - in my opinion a remote should be long and thin so you can hold it in the palm of one hand and press the buttons with your thumb. Do you really think you could use the 1000 like that? I've had Meridian remotes that are big oblong things and they are awful to use. In my opinion the 1000 would look really cool sat on the coffee table but that's about it.

No idea about the capability with Sky but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work ok. As far as I'm aware Sky uses standard IR codes so it should be fine. As with any universal remote, if your equipment supports discrete codes (and you can get hold of them) it's easier to set up and will work more reliably.

However, I know of others who have tried the 525 and hated it. Each to his own I guess. At £40 I'd definitely give it a go and see what you think - just have a little patience with the setup as in my experience the set up of all these universal remotes takes a bit of tinkering and getting used to. Once you do get it right, it just works and you forget it's even there - the sign of a really great product in my opinion.

florida747

Well i ordered one today:thumbsup: from ebuyer £40 + £4p&p:smashin:

Cynar

Hope it's to your liking.:smashin:
Don't forget the set up isn't the most intuitive and you need to have a bit of patience to get it working the way you want.
If you have any problems Logitech support is free and excellent. You can also post any queries here - there's a lot of experienced Harmony owners on this forum.

florida747

Hope it's to your liking.:smashin:
Don't forget the set up isn't the most intuitive and you need to have a bit of patience to get it working the way you want.
If you have any problems Logitech support is free and excellent. You can also post any queries here - there's a lot of experienced Harmony owners on this forum.

Cheers for the reply and help:thumbsup: i have come to know that nothing in the world of av is straight forward:rolleyes:;)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom