Answered logitech 'harmony touch' multi function commands?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by porscheman, Jun 11, 2015.

1. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Guys, here is the features I would like a universal remote to be able to achieve:

Function 1 - switch on my LG 50" plasma tv and change source to bluray player input and mute TV volume - switch on sony blu ray player and navigate to dvd/disc play menu - switch on pioneer AV receiver. I would like to be able to do this with one press of button/icon on the remote.

Function 2 - I would like the remote to switch off my futronix P50 digital dimmer light switch and activate 'play disc' on BD player as a seperate function to step above

In the old days this type of function was known as a 'macro' but I have no idea if this is still the correct terminology these days.

This is the remote I may buy - Harmony Touch - Universal Remote with Touch Screen Controls - Logitech

Many thanks chaps

James :)

2. Best Answer:
    Post #22 by GavT, Jun 25, 2015 (1 points)
  3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    yes still technically knows as macros

As long as all devices are controllable by IR then the Harmony will allow you to create macros

4. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks for the quick reply Sebastian.

So, would I be correct in saying that once the universal RC is programmed, and I hit the desired button or touch screen icon, the remote then sends a burst of IR signals to each device in turn to complete the function sequence? How long would this typically take for the RC to complete the macro command? The reason I ask this is because I used to have an old marantz universal remote and the macros would take a long time to run through their sequences, AND you had to keep the remote in one position so that the transmitted IR signals did not miss their target. ( am I making any sense?!!!!! ) :):)

James

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Perfect sense.

Yes a burst of IR commands, the time will depend on the devices and complexity of the IR commands and you may have to build in delays/gaps.

You may be lucky and just works but equally you may have to experiment a bit.
    Harmony Remotes have fairly powerful IR signals so you shouldnt have to hold it in one position for too long.

You could though look at the Harmony Ultimate as that sends commands via RF to RF to IR hub so no need for line of sight

6. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    THanks again Seb

7. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    On a Harmony and on other universals the requirements are known as Activities and are the way in which the remotes work.
    You could look equally well at models such as the 525 and One which perform at least as well, some would say better.

8. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    I have the harmony ultimate and have both of those functions.
    On the harmony they are called activities.

With a harmony you connect it to a computer, select the models of all your gear that have IR remotes , and dowload them to your Harmony.

If any of your devices are not in the database, then you have to teach it to the harmony manually, which is time consuming but simply involves putting the two remotes head to head and pressing each button. ( havnt come across anything yet thats not in the database though!)

Once this is done all your devices are selectable to control via the Harmony, but now comes the key part and is the intended way for the harmony to operate.

You set up activities, such as watch Blu ray, etc, and you tell it which state each device used in the activity should be in and which device is the main contoller for each activity.
    Once this is done each activity is a one button press!

I have X10 modules for lighting control, and that,s set up under an activity I have named "lights"

Regarding speed and having to hold the remote in position, this used to be a problem for the Mrs when we had the Harmony one, but that got destroyed by the Puppy, so the Ultimate replaced it.

Because that works off a hub, you dont have to keep it pointed, you just press the button and it all happens, and this feature makes the ultimate worth its weight in Gold to my Mrs which is why the Ultimate is staying!

9. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks guys. The RF system is the way to go it seems !!

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    I disagree, but it's your money!

11. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Which part do you disagree with ?

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    ?

13. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501

14. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    Because I don't see anything in OP's post to indicate the need.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  15. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I was just wondering why you disagreed ?

16. two8tone

two8tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    A couple points on the RF control, I had to set up a dummy activity for changing TV settings while in say 'watch a movie' mode. Otherwise there is no way to quickly switch activities without powering devices off that the hub things you don't need. Can be frustrating to start with if you need to tweak the delays for your chain of commands and I found the app really buggy for setting up activities.

Only downside of RF control to the hub is accidental presses of the remote are much more likely, say its stuffed down the back of the sofa or someone sits on the remote, whereas an IR remote would be blocked.

The mini IR blasters for the hub are great and can solve almost all layout issues for picking up devices with careful positioning.

17. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    If i remember correctly you dont have to have it turn off one device when switching sources.

18. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    You don't need extra activities to do that. Simply include the commands you need in the existing activity. As AT says you also have the options for not turning off unused devices. Delays are available if necessary, and I don't get the point about the application.

19. two8tone

two8tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Yeh you can pick and choose which device are powered off but you get stuck with main device your in control of. I control everything from the Harmony Smart, no touch screen, no app, it works just takes a few workarounds. If I added all the commands a wanted on other devices I'd soon run out of buttons!?
    Also you can't navigate a menu that is not on the main device for that activity??

20. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    Harmonys are meant to work in Activities.
    Devices are not meant to be used at all.
    Of course you can use it any way that you want.
    You're simply not getting the intended use from it.

21. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Guys, If I went for the IR harmony touch remote, how long would the remote take to do this command:
    switch on tv from standby, change TV source to bluray player input, mute TV volume, switch on sony blu ray player, navigate sony blu ray to disc play menu, and finally switch on pioneer AV receiver.

And would the remote need to have pauses between each command in order to function correctly?
    :)

22. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    It would do the devices on and set inputs commands at the touch of one button and would take as long as was necessary to do them, which means in effect however long the TV needs to power on.
    The mute command could be done automatically but would be better done manually.

23. GavT

GavT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Best Answer
    Has anyone been able to get the Harmony to switch on an X10 device?

I am using an X10 Appliance Module to switch on the amps at the wall socket (not all have a standby mode). Unfortunately the X10 Application Module AM12U cannot be added as device with power on capabilities (can only add with All Lights On / Off commands) and is therefore under the immovable default devices in the MyHarmony Activities configuration screen. As a result I cannot bring the amp out of standby because the X10 has not switched on the plug in the wall socket before the Harmony tries to power on the amp!

24. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    I tried some of these with my receiver when i first got them.
    In short, it is not a good idea to use these with amps or receivers.
    First, they are the equivalent of a power cut to an amp, and can play havoc with them, most amps prefer to either go into standby or to be shutdown with their own power switch, which, fast as it may seem, is still a controlled shutdown for the device.

Second, these appliance modules have extremely inconsistent reaction times, taking anything up to 20 seconds in my experience to respond to commands, so programming an activity with them is nearly impossible.

They are best kept for their intended purpose, which is standard household kitchen type appliances which are not sensitive as to how they are powered on or off.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  25. GavT

GavT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OK, I'll go back to manually switching the amps on and off.