Logitech Harmony One - wall impact impending

mikeplow1961

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm severely disappointed with the setting up of this device and have already come close to hurling the bloody thing across the room several times.

Devices
LG pk590 tv
Dreambox DM800HD sat receiver
Onkyo HTX22HDX av receiver
XBOX 360
Revo HTPC with Chinavision CVSB-983 USB ir receiver

To be fair, set up of most things has gone okay but the IR receiver is a nightmare.

Using the Logitech software 7.7.0, add Media Centre Computer, Chinavision CVSB-983, it asks me to press power, play and 1 on the remote. But after synching the H One it has no effect on the pc whatsoever.

Using the Logitech My Harmony.com site, add the device, it asks me to press power, play and UP on the original remote. After synching, it 'does' control the pc but you cannot add any extra commands to activities and my Dreambox needs an extra Exit command at the end of the Watch TV sequence.

It seems that the two methods of updating the remote pull up different codes for the same listed device (CVSB-983). Mailed support but had no response as yet.

Can anyone help?

Use the Custom method of the "learning" process to get all the required commands into your Harmony account.

Use the Custom method of the "learning" process to get all the required commands into your Harmony account.

I've done that and no joy, however if I learn the commands in RAW mode, they work but the delay between button presses is intolerable. It will scroll through items at about one every half second even with the delays set at the lowest option of 100ms. With 800 films in my XBMC collection it'll take the length of a film to get to any in the middle.

Starting to get really off after a whole day about with it.:mad:

It defies logic that a device profile on MyHarmony should work and via the remote software should not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Custom method of "learning" IS the RAW mode.
You now have all the necessary commands working - right?
It's not clear from your description what the remaining problem is, with some delays.
What commands are involved and what buttons are they on?
Which delay have you adjusted in the device settings?
It's also not clear what the difference is between My Harmony and the normal setup procedure.
They both use the same set of commands and settings, and produce one account that's shared between them.

The Custom method of "learning" IS the RAW mode.
You now have all the necessary commands working - right?
It's not clear from your description what the remaining problem is, with some delays.
What commands are involved and what buttons are they on?
Which delay have you adjusted in the device settings?
It's also not clear what the difference is between My Harmony and the normal setup procedure.
They both use the same set of commands and settings, and produce one account that's shared between them.

They don't seem to. My harmony.com refused to accept the login details I set up when using the Logitech Remote 7.7.0 software and insisted I set up an account.
The remote software v 7.7.0 uses a login Id and password, the my harmony.com site uses an email address and password.
To check what you said, I removed a device in my harmony, synced the handset, then opened the remote software and the device was still shown. Synching the handset then simply resulted in the device being readded to the handset. S

I've tried every permutation of delays, power and repeats and it doesnt solve the problem. Yet add the device using Myharmony.com and it works perfectly but you don't have the option to add commands to activities. .

Hopefully support will get back to me.

I see what it's all about now - you have the version that's called Harmony One+ and that can use the limited web site that's really intended for the much simpler 600 and 700 models - right?
I was thinking you meant the old web site that is in effect the same thing as the normal setup procedure.
You can use either the simple site or the normal ones - not both.
Can you explain about "adding commands to activities?
Does that mean Customisation?
The Inter-Key and possibly Inter-Device Delays in the normal setup procedure should have fixed the problems.
The essential thing is to run the Troubleshoot to try and pin down where the problems arise.

Adding commands to activities - when you set up an activity such as Watch Tv you have the option, in the remote software 7.7.0, to add further commands to the sequence which it executes.

For example, when the auto generated Watch Tv switches on my tv, sat receiver and av amp, it somehow starts it up with an epg overlaying the video. In the remote software, I can add an exit button push to the startup sequence so it's removed before the amp outputs the video to the tv. This facility is absent from the more limited my harmony.com option.

I'll test delays etc further tomorrow.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Additional Commands When Activity Starts - :thumbsup:
It would be better to find out what's causing the EPG to come up and eliminate that but you need to be able to include Additional Commands anyway.

It wold be but the bizarre thing is I'm unable to get that particular epg view onscreen using the original remote so what command it is receiving is anyone's guess. At least the Exit command gets rid of it so I'll make do with that.

Happy ending.

Logitech Support advised that, when adding the Chinavasion device, to respond No when asked if I had the original remote. This worked and I'm now able to use all my devices. Still a lot of tweaking and configuring to be done to get things just how I'd like them but I'm happy to say that I'm no longer considering hurling at at brickwork and even gave it a wee kiss. :thumbsup:

Specifying that you don't have the original remote gets you to "learn" the commands - which you'd already done. :confused:

Specifying that you don't have the original remote gets you to "learn" the commands - which you'd already done. :confused:

It does, but only if you choose the 'Modify' option. Support advised me not to do so, and simply say I hadn't got the original remote and try it. (It seemed pressing the power, play and 1 buttons as instructed was the problem. )That worked for me. But alas, the happy ending is not quite as happy as I had hoped.

Because my workhorse pc is in another room I had been testing in that machine. I've now moved the Chinavasion receiver into my HTPC and guess what? It works but only for a minute or two after which it doesn't respond. Unplug it from the USB port, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in and it will work again for a minute or two them stops again. AAAAAAAAAARGH!! Now I'll be spending the entire evening investigating that I expect.

When you do that, what happens is that the three commands you've entered are compared with the Harmony database and the set of commands that matches them best is selected for your account.
Is the new problem with the device or with the Harmony?

When you do that, what happens is that the three commands you've entered are compared with the Harmony database and the set of commands that matches them best is selected for your account.
Is the new problem with the device or with the Harmony?

The new problem is solely with the IR receiver itself as it doesn't respond to the original remote for more than a minute either. On my main pc it's fine but on the HTPC there is something that's failing to keep the receiver active. I've tried changing ports but it happens in all of them while the RF receiver for the wireless mouse and keyboard works fine.

However, I seem to have cured it. I had a USB hub laying around unopened from a few years ago, have plugged that into the HTPC and the IR receiver into the USB hub and it's been working for an hour with no problem. I'm wondering if there wasn't enough power from the HTPC USB port for the IR receiver. It's fine via the powered hub.

Now, the only device I need to add is my backlighting controller and then it'll just be a matter of tweaking things to my liking as I use it.

I have to say, other than the problem with the Chinavasion settings, everything else has been very easy with the Harmony One. Now it's all set up it's well worth the 62 quid it cost. Five remotes heading for the drawer tomorrow!

Yes, that was a low price - the lowest we've seen on the forum.:thumbsup:

Yes, that was a low price - the lowest we've seen on the forum.:thumbsup:

Yes, someone posted a link on here to it direct via the Logitech site, in fact if you have an old bit of Logitech kit to trade in against it you can get a further 20 percent off. Superb value at that price.

I am thrilled with it now I've got it set up to control everything. Now I'm just working out sequences to add to pull up some things on the Dreambox and XBMC that take multiple button presses.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom