Logitech Harmony One - Part Six

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Continued from: http://www.avforums.com/forums/remote-controls/1339883-logitech-harmony-one-topics-part-five-34.html

I have no doubt it's powerful; I'm just weighing up what I'd gain. Because I have to point the handset forwards then over my head for the units behind me, I have not programmed the macros because of timing issues. Believe me I'd love another new toy, but only if it gives me something significantly new over what I have now. If the biggest selling feature is "Activity Control" I am not sure that would work with units 180 degrees and 21' apart. Unless there is something else which I've missed? I'm all ears!

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

The situation with the devices not being in direct line of sight could be a problem with ANY remote, or universal remote.
With a Harmony it is rather less likely, because the IR emission is strong and the beam reflects from the walls and furniture.
However the Harrnony 900 would eliminate the problem altogether as it requires no line of sight at all.
Alternatively any IR Extender would enable any Harmony or other remote to be used for the purpose.

Last edited:

wl1

Mr Incredible said:
I have no doubt it's powerful; I'm just weighing up what I'd gain. Because I have to point the handset forwards then over my head for the units behind me, I have not programmed the macros because of timing issues. Believe me I'd love another new toy, but only if it gives me something significantly new over what I have now. If the biggest selling feature is "Activity Control" I am not sure that would work with units 180 degrees and 21' apart. Unless there is something else which I've missed? I'm all ears!

You misunderstood "powerful" - I was referring to strength of IR signal. I just stood in my hall, out of line of sight of my tv in the lounge. The signal travelled into the room, 30 foot long, 14 foot wide, and turned on 4 devices, 6 IR commands, flawlessly. Sorry, tv, was just round the corner, so signal was travelling there and back, so to speak.

Simba

Distinguished Member
i want the H one to use the TV commands for volume up and down.

I manually got the commands from the TV remote and customised the sky buttons to use those. problem is that when using these, one press of volume up equals around 3 presses of volume up - same for down. all other controls for sky respond find and the tv commands (taken from the database respond find too).

can i not just tell the remote to use TV for volume for specifc activities AND devices....

logiciel

Everything is done in activities - devices are irrelevant.
When you set up an activity you get to specify which device does each basic function, so in your case you specify for each one that the device to control the volume is the TV, with the result that its commands are on the volume and mute buttons, which is exactly what you're asking for. :thumbsup:

killz187

Just bought the Harmony one and waiting for delivery,i already have a Harmony 555 and wanted to find out can i transfer my activities etc on my 555 to the Harmony one using the harmony software?I just dont to spend an hour or so setting up the Harmony one.

Last edited:

adam81

Just bought the Harmony one and waiting for delivery,i already have a Harmony 555 and wanted to find out can i transfer my activities etc on my 555 to the Harmony one using the harmony software?I just dont to spend an hour or so setting up the Harmony one.

Says you can in the software, you just can't have the same setup on both remotes it seems, one account per remote.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
i want the H one to use the TV commands for volume up and down.

I manually got the commands from the TV remote and customised the sky buttons to use those. problem is that when using these, one press of volume up equals around 3 presses of volume up - same for down. all other controls for sky respond find and the tv commands (taken from the database respond find too).

can i not just tell the remote to use TV for volume for specifc activities AND devices....
You shouldn't need to use devices at all - just activities.

Last edited:

logiciel

That's news to me about showing the hex code.:confused:

GAmbrose

I just bought one direct from Logitech (£62!) but it doesn't appear to have come with a 3 pin UK power adaptor.

Is that normal? Can I use the USB to charge it? It seems a bit odd...

hessman

Novice Member
I want to program the remote to set my Samsung B8000 tv into game mode with out going all through the menus. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so how would I go about it.

killz187

GAmbrose said:
I just bought one direct from Logitech (£62!) but it doesn't appear to have come with a 3 pin UK power adaptor.

Is that normal? Can I use the USB to charge it? It seems a bit odd...

It does say Eu plug on the site ,it's not the uk site you bought from is it ?just get a Eu to Uk adaptor they are less than £ 2.00 .

logiciel

Can I use the USB to charge it?
No, so just use a travel adapter.
I want to program the remote to set my Samsung B8000 tv into game mode with out going all through the menus.
If the only way with the original remote is through the menus then the only way with the Harmony is through the menus - which you can do automatically either as a Sequence if there are no more than five commands, or as Additional Commands When Activity Starts.

Last edited:

Simba

Distinguished Member
You shouldn't need to use devices at all - just activities.

what do you mean by the above?

if i want to control different equipment (for a certain feature for example) i need to choose it in the devices section no? e.g. say i normally use volume through the tv but i decide i want to use the AV receiver i need to switch to AV receiver in devices no?

brookheather

Distinguished Member
That's news to me about showing the hex code.:confused:
Sorry confused myself with IR learning on my Squeezebox which does show the hex codes...

shotokan101

Suspended

if i want to control different equipment (for a certain feature for example) i need to choose it in the devices section no? e.g. say i normally use volume through the tv but i decide i want to use the AV receiver i need to switch to AV receiver in devices no?

...or have another activity that uses the AV amp instead of TV and simply switch to that activity with one button press ;)

Jim

brookheather

Distinguished Member

No you should create another activity (e.g. Watch TV with AVR) that includes the AV receiver and is configured to control the sound through the AV receiver. You can then select Watch TV activity if you don't want to use the AV receiver - the Harmony will turn the AV receiver on/off depending on the selected activity.

logiciel

if i want to control different equipment (for a certain feature for example) i need to choose it in the devices section no?
He means what I said:
Everything is done in activities - devices are irrelevant.
and no, you don't select the device, you select the activity that uses it.
They're what Harmonys are all about, and by using only them you get the best and most practical usage.
The device area in the setup procedure is for storage, on the remote it's for occasionally testing a command.

Last edited:

Simba

Distinguished Member
ok il check it out tonight thanks.

so if its setup as Watch TV with AVR, then since the TV is already on, will that not attempt to turn the TV off as it will start off the string of commands with cycling the TV power?

shotokan101

Suspended
ok il check it out tonight thanks.

so if its setup as Watch TV with AVR, then since the TV is already on, will that not attempt to turn the TV off as it will start off the string of commands with cycling the TV power?

No - the Harmony remotes remember the power state of all devices currently in use and then turns off unused devices in the next activity and turn on any new devices required :)

Jim

Simba

Distinguished Member
No - the Harmony remotes remember the power state of all devices currently in use and then turns off unused devices in the next activity and turn on any new devices required :)

Jim

thanks.

i clearly have never used these way they should be lol.

shotokan101

Suspended
thanks.

i clearly have never used these way they should be lol.

LOL - sometimes it takes a while before that light bulb goes on :D

JIm

Simba

Distinguished Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett