Logitech Harmony One Discussion Thread - Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Logitech have announced the latest remote to its family, the Harmony One. As far as I can tell it sits somewhere between the 885 and 1000 and will have a full-colour 2.2" touch screen.

Unfortunately I don't think it will support bluetooth (annoying for those PS3 users, including me) and will cost $250 on release. It is expected to be launched in February in the US and Europe.

Logitech_HarmonyOne.jpg

I've included the full press release below if anyone's interested.

One to Watch: Logitech Harmony One Introduces Significant Evolution in Home-Entertainment Control

Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote Introduces New Design with Full-Color Touch Screen, Intuitive Button Layout Winner of CES Innovations 2008 Design and Engineering Award

LAS VEGAS—Today at the Consumer Electronics Show, Logitech (SWX:LOGN) (NASDAQ:LOGI) unveiled the Harmony(R) One advanced universal remote control, marking a significant leap in the evolution of the best-selling line of Harmony remotes. Offering the same one-touch, activity-based control as other Harmony remotes, the Harmony One makes controlling home entertainment even easier with a full-color touch screen, an intuitive button layout and an exceptionally comfortable user-friendly design. The product has received the CES 2008 Design and Engineering Award: Best of Innovations in Home-Entertainment Accessories.

As home-entertainment systems become more sophisticated and complex, people are often frustrated and overwhelmed by the need to have multiple devices, the frequent necessity for family members to have written instructions to control the system (otherwise known as a cheat sheet) and the growing number of remotes on the coffee table. And, according to industry research, more and more families will face this problem. IMS Research's report, “The Future of High-Definition TV - 2007 Edition,” forecasts strong worldwide growth for HDTV over the next four years (nearly 148 million HDTV households by 2011). And in the U.S. alone, consumer spending on digital-living products is on track to hit $300 billion in 2010 (Parks Associates, “Digital Living Forecast,” Dec. 2006).

“The Harmony advanced universal remotes have been highly successful at providing easy, one-touch access to favorite activities, such as watching TV, playing a video game, or listening to music - all with a single remote,” said Ashish Arora, vice president and general manager of Logitech's Harmony business unit. “To further improve our lineup, while developing Harmony One, we sought to intimately understand the interaction between people, their remotes, and their entertainment systems. In fact, Harmony One is the result of our most comprehensive research and development undertaking ever - more than 20,000 hours.”

A key outcome of Logitech's research is a 2.2-inch color touch screen that uses capacitive technology, which responds to tiny electrical charges from the fingertips. Capacitive touch-screen technology is more durable, compared to touch screens that respond to pressure. The color touch screen provides control of any home entertainment device with an infrared receiver, including digital video recorders, high-definition televisions and many household appliances. The Harmony One remote's touch screen can also display icons of specified TV stations for quick access to favorite stations.

Based on a customer survey, Logitech also determined that it could improve its customers' experience with the Harmony remote by creating a more intuitive button layout. For improved ease of use, the Harmony One remote provides an intelligent and intuitive button layout divided into four distinct zones (numbers; traditional DVD controls; D-pad with volume and channel up/down; and on-screen menu buttons) for seamless control of today's most popular home entertainment devices. Only the 40 most-essential buttons appear on the Harmony One remote - so people can find the right one quickly. Each button is individually sculpted, providing useful tactile cues so people can operate the remote by touch, rather than relying on sight.

To better address ergonomics, the Harmony One remote features a curved, exceptionally comfortable shape that is easy for anyone in the family to hold, regardless of hand size. Presenting an elegant piano-black top and a silver base, and black buttons with white backlighting, Harmony One is the perfect complement for any living room. And the rechargeable remote's recharging station has a sleek profile with an adjustable light that makes it easy to find, even in the dark.

In addition to its optimized design, the Harmony One delivers the renowned benefits common to the Harmony family of universal remotes, including its exclusive one-touch activity-based control system powered by the world's largest A/V-control database of entertainment equipment, guided online setup and sophisticated telephone support.

The Evolution of One-Touch Activity Control
Using the Harmony One color touch screen, people simply touch the appropriate activity button and the Harmony One remote does the rest, including turning on the right components in the right order and setting the correct inputs. To watch a DVD, for example, people simply touch “Watch a DVD” on the touch screen. The Harmony One remote turns on the TV, the DVD player, and the A/V receiver. Then, if necessary, the Harmony One remote allows people to adjust the volume on the stereo system. There's no need to control components individually - the Harmony One remote manages everything. And the Harmony One remote even provides interactive on-screen help if something interferes with an IR command (for example, if someone walks in front of the set-top box).

Patented Smart State Technology
Patented Smart State Technology(R) enables the Harmony One remote to deliver activity-based control. Smart State Technology allows the remote to track the power state and input setting of the various components it controls. With this technology, Harmony remote users can effortlessly switch between watching home theater and listening to music by selecting a single activity button.

Guided Online Setup
Logitech's Internet-based setup makes getting the Harmony One up and running as easy as possible. With its intuitive setup wizard guiding the process, the Harmony One online interface allows people to enter their components' make and model numbers. Then, this information is automatically matched to the characteristics, discrete codes and infrared commands of the more than 225,000 devices from more than 5,000 manufacturers (updated almost daily) contained in Logitech's online database. Any devices that don't match can be added using the online system, and the setup process lets people add the control signals from the original device's remote control to the Harmony One remote. When people want to add a device to their living room, they can be confident that the Harmony One remote can control it - today and tomorrow.

Pricing and Availability

The Harmony One is expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe beginning in February for a suggested retail price of $249.99 (U.S.). The Harmony One will be showcased in the Logitech CES booth (No. 35512, South Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center).

There are already a couple of reviews of this, one quite negative one from ITWire and one positive one from PC Mag.

ITWire

TheHarmony One might look sleek and sexy, but sadly Logitech has donestuff-all to address the shortcomings of the earlier Harmony models.It's even taken a few steps backwards such as limiting the number ofActivities or Devices displayed at once to a paltry three. Hopefullyfuture software upgrades will address such issues. Meanwhile theHarmony One might look great, but it's not the One remote control torule them all.

PC Mag

Ultimately, the superb setup software and a newly overhauled, more comfortable design, along with a cool, new touch-screen LCD, make the Logitech Harmony One the best remote control for the money, and our Editors' Choice.

Looks interesting, I wonder how Logitech will name the EU version, One Five? :)

About the ITwire review, I guess the 3 activities screen is not fixed, in the same way I can set 4 or 8 activities per screen in my 885.

I think it looks really nice, but....

$250.00

£126.50

Is too much for me. I like the buttons, wish the 525 was more like this.

But again they have missed out the 4 colour buttons, even after their extensive research, which should have caught this problem.

I think it looks really nice, but....

$250.00

£126.50

Is too much for me. I like the buttons, wish the 525 was more like this.

But again they have missed out the 4 colour buttons, even after their extensive research, which should have caught this problem.

This is the US model, given that 885, 895 and UK 1000 have Red, Green etc buttons I's sure the UK model will as well.

I'd be surprise if this is less than £200. Appreciate $250 = £126.50 but, cheapest UK Harmony 1000 is £190, the US harmony is not $390

Expensive, but i really like the desgin.

The current range seem more 80's to me.

Digit keys are positioned to low for ergonomic use, think it will be impossible to hold the remote and press the digits with one hand only.

Digit keys are positioned to low for ergonomic use, think it will be impossible to hold the remote and press the digits with one hand only.

Thats a very good point actually - hopefully the device will be wieghted in such as way that its not too much of a problem (i can use my mobile one handed and the keys are lower than that remote). If if it was a problem, i dont use the number keys much these days.

Well for once, I hope the name will stay the same worldwide. It gets very confusing with all of the different numbering for different territories.

There are already a couple of reviews of this, one quite negative one from ITWire and one positive one from PC Mag.

I wouldn't worry too much about that ITWire review..most of what he said was completely wrong!

The "One" looks like the remote I've been waiting for. Much improved buttons together with Harmony's excellent programming...might finally be time to retire my 659.

I can't use my 525 with 1 hand, and the buttons are worse than this, they are tiny.

Looks like there's not much space for colour buttons, but I hope Logitech will manage. In fact, I've always discarded other interesting remotes from URC, because they lack them.

Looks cool but that's about it. Where's the wifi or bluetooth???!!!!

Would you believe I had just ordered a Harmony 895 this morning when I came on here and read about the Harmony One.

Anyway, i have put my order on hold with the supplier until I read more on this. It certainly looks a lot nicer than the 895!

Does anyone know if it comes with an RF to IR extender that is with the 895? I have all my kit in a cabinet out of sight.

Cheers,

Ross

I wouldn't worry too much about that ITWire review..most of what he said was completely wrong!

Oh really, it sound like he knew what he was talking about! :D

I've not dabbed around with Harmony remotes, I briefly owned a 885 but sold it soon after as I couldn't get on with it. I'm thinking I didn't give it much of a chance so waiting for this sounds ideal.

Would you believe I had just ordered a Harmony 895 this morning when I came on here and read about the Harmony One.

Anyway, i have put my order on hold with the supplier until I read more on this. It certainly looks a lot nicer than the 895!

Does anyone know if it comes with an RF to IR extender that is with the 895? I have all my kit in a cabinet out of sight.

Cheers,

Ross

I'd say almost certainly not - it's not mentioned on the Logitech site, the press info or any of the previews.

This is in What Hi-Fi this month, they say it is going to retail at £170:mad:

Originally Posted by czzer

Oh really, it sound like he knew what he was talking about!

- The review does sound awfully software-centric. The author complains that the old remotes don't allow you to return to an activity from device mode (not correct - he just didn't know how to do it). He states that the activity screen is limited to three entries (this may be right, but images on the Logitech site show that the screen can be split into six sections, at least for soft button use). And he glosses over the ergonomic updates as something to make the remote "look sleek and sexy", when in fact they address longstanding issues such as button differentiation, numeric button size, tactile response of vol/channel buttons, and proper grouping of menu commands.

Oh really, it sound like he knew what he was talking about! :D

I've not dabbed around with Harmony remotes, I briefly owned a 885 but sold it soon after as I couldn't get on with it. I'm thinking I didn't give it much of a chance so waiting for this sounds ideal.

His comments about "not being able to return to an Activity from Device mode", "Power commands not being tracked in Device mode" are misleading and show he doesn't fully understand the Harmony Activity concept (he's not alone...many people don't). It's unfortunate that most people will read the review and think "It's in a review, therefore it must be true". We all know that isn't the case :)

You may well be able to pick one up at the Bristol Show at a good price if you are going there, have picked up my last 3 harmony remotes here at really good prices, around 35-40% of market price, infact I think the first one was less than 50% less than street price. It is usually marketed by Invision if I remember, with a small stand downstairs.

I know the US models don't have coloured buttons but why is the Harmony One, which is now showing pictures on the UK Logitech site, still missing the coloured buttons?

Have they really not learnt lessons from the missing coloured buttons on the Harmony 1000 (soft or hard) when it was launched? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom