Logitech Harmony - For me ?

Bleem

Distinguished Member
Just looking at these snazzy remotes on the Logitech site - very nice...and i'm thinking about getting one myself.

Before I shell out for one though, can anyone tell me - from experience or otherwise if they are worth the money ?

Compatibility is also a bit of a worry for me, i dont want to get one then find my kit doesnt work with it..

My set-up is

Samsung LE32R41BD
Sky Digibox (not plus)
LG DVD/5.1 Home Cinema
XBOX 360

Thanks for *any* info !!

:hiya:

gavan

cyacomini said:
Just looking at these snazzy remotes on the Logitech site - very nice...and i'm thinking about getting one myself.

Before I shell out for one though, can anyone tell me - from experience or otherwise if they are worth the money ?

Compatibility is also a bit of a worry for me, i dont want to get one then find my kit doesnt work with it..

My set-up is

Samsung LE32R41BD
Sky Digibox (not plus)
LG DVD/5.1 Home Cinema
XBOX 360

Thanks for *any* info !!

:hiya:

I've got a Harmony 885 but my comments should be good for the remotes in the range that use the same database and web configuration tool.

Well, of course it all depends on whether or not the database of your chosen controller has codes for all your kit. If not, it can be a chore to 'learn' them on the URC: In my case, the Logitech database had codes for everything I wanted to use (LE32R51B, Sky+, Sony DVD, Sony VCR, XBox and Sony Projector) and even set them up pretty well in a default configuration.

I did have to learn the 'back' key for the XBox controller, but for a single command it wasn't a problem. Not sure why it wasn't in the database, as all the other keys were there.

The web interface makes it easy to set up things quickly and the default keymappings chosen for my gear were pretty sensible.

The 'activity based' idea is good and makes it easy to control mutliple devices. You can also use the 'device' button to make the Harmony act like a straighforward replacement controller for the device.

The fact that there are lots of hard buttons and a button bank beside an LCD screen makes the controllers pretty flexible. I was worried about controlling the Sky+ but the Harmony 885 easily has enough hard buttons to cover all important functions.

General ergonomic feel is good - it has a nice shape and a pretty good button layout.

Downsides: As with any universal remote, there will be a compromise with the size/location of the keys. Since it has to control many different devices, it can't match the ergonomics of a well designed one-device remote.

The keys can feel a little plasticky and don't have much 'give'. I would have preferred more movement and more tactile feedback from the surface of the buttons. Maybe some textured and/or rubberised keys.

I'm not impressed with battery life. It uses a proprietary but replaceable battery unit. Seems like it can just about handle a day of heavy use off of the charger. There is a nice charger dock but I think I would have preferred longer life and standard AAs, then I could've used my own rechargables as needed.

In my unit, the battery pack was loose and caused the unit to frequently reset .. fixed by bracing it with blu-tac. Annoying on an expensive top of the line device.

The website can be a little frustrating when you want to do in-depth tweaking. It's driven by 'wizards' which although well designed, do tend to hold you back when you want to do something specific. Also, if the site were down or your internet connection were to screw up, no reconfiguring would be possible.

Overall I'm very pleased with the unit, despite some shortcomings. It does well overall and I'd give it about an 80% satisfaction rating. Definitely an improvement over 6 seperate remotes knocking around the living room.

Gav

Bleem

Distinguished Member
Excellent Gavan - much appreciated. It's good to get feedback on the good, and the bad...majority of people only ever say they either like something or dislike it.. so it's good to have some depth.

I've placed "Wanted" adds in the classified section so fingers crossed someone has one of them they don't like or use anymore..

cheers again,

Hawklord

I received my 885 yesterday and I'm well chuffed:D

Much the same experiances as Gavan, but, on the whole a great peice of kit imo.
The device is simple to use and configure and it controls everything I own perfectly.
It actually took me longer to get the remote out of the box than it did to set up all of my devices:rotfl:
There have been a few criticisms of the disply window fading so I'm keeping my eye out for that one;)

Managed to set up all my favourite channels too with appropriate icons today so it looks the business now too:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom