• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Logitech Harmony 885 can't be repaired, so what next?

guygampell

Novice Member
About 4 years back I bought my first one of these, after a couple of years and a few incidents (dropping it on wooden flooring), a lot of the buttons stopped working, and it would usually refuse to charge. However thinking that I had been unlucky (children not taking care of it), and because I thought (still think) it is a great design, I bought another, had my 2nd one two years, much better looked after.

Guess what... most of the buttons now don't work, or only work if you press them so hard you would think you will break the unit.

I called Logitech and asked where could I send it for refurbish. Answer shocked me (remembering it is not that old).

No repair option is provided, only replacement unit if in warranty. Out of warranty they will offer me a discount on a new model (but none of the new models appeal I have to say). I am not after endless support, the product is not that old, and I am looking for an out of warranty repair service for which I would pay.

They can't repair the unit(s), they can't replace them.

Considering I now find the internet forums are full of people reporting similar issues, and considering the 885 was not a low cost product (compare with oneforalls etc), I find it really very disappointing that no repair service is provided.

I did consider using the discount offered to buy a Logitech One, but they then told me I could not port over my programmed activities. I have become adept at editing the activities and spent a long time setting up keys to perform functions such as selecting differenet Cinema DSP modes from my AV receiver whilst watching a blu ray disk.

If I have to start again, there is no benefit to staying with the brand.

Would the forum like to recommend an alternative, hopefully a brand that will support their product a little longer than Logitech do.

Thanks

GUY

logiciel

Logitech have never had a policy of trying to repair their remotes.
I don't think that any other makers of universal remotes repair theirs - they're just not that sort of device.
The 885 came out in 2005 and it's unlikely that any device of that age would be supported now.
Logitech are quite generous with their discount offers though.
There aren't actually any new models,and the range is now down to just four models, the 650 and One, and the expensive 900 and 1100 with IR/RF/IR extendability.
The One is the natural successor to the 885 and devices and activities will carry over from one to the other.

Last edited:

guygampell

Novice Member
Well on the call to support yesterday, the person I was speaking to checked with a Supervisor who has totally adamant, my Activities would not port over.

I am absolutely a fan, I think the design of the 885 is near perfect as universal remotes go. The 8 "soft" keys get fully used, indeed each of my activities has at least 3 pages of soft keys so I can recall presets, or adjust things like individual speaker levels, and DSP modes in my AV receiver and Picture modes in my Phillips TV, while I am watching films, or bypass the DSP and put the receiver in to "pure" mode while listening to music.

the Harmony one does not have those softkeys, instead uses a small touch screen, which I am sure cannot support 8 "buttons" per page, therefore my activities will be spread across many more pages.

Even if the 885 had been discontinued, a similarly designed remote would be nice yet the concept of the 885 seems to have been dropped.

In fairness, that might be because of the many people reporting buttons not working after a couple of years, perhaps the hardware needed a major overall, the current models use a very different style of hardware button.

logiciel

All other models transfer direct to the One so I don't see any reason why the 885 wouldn't.
I get the point about the eight command positions but the six large icons on the One's screen work well.

guygampell

Novice Member
Thank you for your helpful input, much appreciated, do you have any comparison head to head to offer with the One For All Xsight Touch.

logiciel

That's OK, and you're welcome.
I haven't experience of the OFA but there have been favourable reports of it on the forum.
It's considerably restricted though, compared to the Harmonys, in the way its Activities work and other points.
Logi

Last edited:

chef_uk

Standard Member
I've been in the same position for about 2 months now. The Harmony one + can be had for just under £99 now but thats still too much IMHO especially for a control that can break even more easily when kids are around. Again like the OP, i thought the 885 design was perfect, not one flaw and since then, no other remote has come close.

For reference, the first button to go on mine was the number 4 weirdly, then it was one of the activities, and now the volume up needs a hammering.

Will Logitech accept two items for a further reduction on a remote? My MX Revolution mouse has been stuttering lately so they can have that off me too.

guygampell

Novice Member
So what else is worth looking for if the H One is also susceptible to being broken, if and OFA is limited in functions and if you like the design concept of the 885.

How about something from the URC range such as MX-780?

logiciel

guygampell

Novice Member
Am I right (from the pictures) the Harmony One does not have a dedicated set of keys for Red, Green, Blue, Yello operations. Since all the menus in Sky HD box (our most used source) rely on those keys for navigation, this seems very strange

Again, the 885 was the perfect layout, and they seem to have gone backwards

logiciel

The colour commands are initially assigned to large clear coloured discs on the screen which you touch to activate.
As the screen is a major feature of the One that was meant to be an advance, and an advantage, and many users find it so, but some still prefer the commands on hard buttons instead or as well, and Customise them to a convenient group of which two are initially not assigned to any command.

guygampell

Novice Member
Again thank you

In the case of my 885, the 8 soft keys are completely taken up with essential functions in all my activities, and in each activity I have 3 or "pages" of 8 buttons, so for example I can adjust all the audio dsp setttings in my AV receiver while listening to a movie...

so to lose that "real estate" by having the 4 colour buttons on the screen, means more pages of soft keys will be needed

it does really seem to me that Logitech have taken steps backwards since the 885 design.

logiciel

Don't you select from the eight screen locations by pressing a hard button beside them?
Having eight locations that you touch would be less practical imho, and the six are easily manageable.
It's normal to have several pages of 8 on the 885, or of 6 on the One which I have for several activities.
You can specify which page comes up first and that could be the one with the colour commands on it.
However, I'm one of those who "prefer the commands on hard buttons instead" and that group works extremely well.
Logitech presumably thought that putting a lot of use on to the screen was an advance and advantage, perhaps making a step forward, anticipating the way everyone does everything now to their telephones by touching the screen, as they don't have any hard buttons at all.

Last edited:

forumhound

Standard Member
My 885 is 7 years old. Buttons are a bit stiff and I've used it constantly up until last week when the battery refused to charge. I've been googling to find a service for reconditioning or repair, as I would like to keep using it.

I have tried the Harmony 900, but I wasn't impressed. I agree that it appeared to be a backward step reducing the number of functions available on the screen. Shame they didn't just slightly improve the 885.

D-an-W

Established Member
It looks like the 885's are rebelling and all packing up together!

The OK button and volume up are getting more and more stubborn on ours and the battery doesn't last like it used to (Still charges fine though).

Has anyone ever taken one apart to see if anything can be done to fix the buttons?

D-an-W

Established Member
Gorilla Glue (& Youtube) to the rescue!

Took the 885 apart and put a tiny drop of GG on the metal pads of the dodgy buttons. As GG expands slightly once dry I was left with a raised pad.

Once rebuilt the remote is as good as new.

madfiddler

Established Member
I know this post is a tad old, but any chance of posting me a link to that video please? My 885 has gone the same way unfortunately

goujam

Prominent Member
I know this post is a tad old, but any chance of posting me a link to that video please? My 885 has gone the same way unfortunately

Don't use glue on the buttons it will work shortly then go bad and not work again. All you need to do is to reposition the metal click domes and clean the pad with nail varnish remover then use cellotape to hold the metal domes down I've done two remotes this way and they have worked great since.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom