Logitech Harmony 555 / 525 pre-purchase question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by cancancan, Sep 14, 2007.

1. cancancan

cancancan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I am considering getting a Logitech Harmony 555 (or even the 525 maybe)
    and my setup is as follows:

Panasonic TX-32LXD700 LCD TV
    Logitech Z-5500 surround sound speakers

What I want to know....

1) Is the remote compatible with the TV?

2) When using the Logitech Speakers I need to turn down the volume on the TV fully - would there be a way of getting the Harmony remote to automatically do this with a single button press - so perhaps I could set up a macro called 'watch TV thru Z5500 Speakers' so that when activated, the Harmony turns the TV volume ALL the way down and then lets me control the Z5500 speaker volume from the Harmony remote.

3)Can the Harmony remote control the speaker system volume in the same way as their dedicated remote.....ie. sub volume, surround volume etc. ?

Thanks!

2. Kendalbeefcake

Kendalbeefcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

I have one of these and it's brilliant, you should easily be able to set up Macros to do all of those things. I would be stunned if you Kit is not already on the list, and even if it isn't it is a doddle to teach the remote using the Harmony software.

Best £50 I ever spent..

Rgds

Kendal

3. cancancan

cancancan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for the reply - really? You think it can do the 'turning the volume right down' thing?

and what advantages does the 555 have over the 525?

4. Schrijf

Schrijf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The built quality and feel of the case and buttons of the 525 is poor, the 555 is quite OK. All decent universal remote can do the kind of set up you have in mind.

5. cancancan

cancancan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thx - well I just ordered the 785 off amazon (so much for the budget!!) BUT i just noticed the 885 is only slightly more expensive - is the 885 much different or is it mainly a question of ergonomics?

6. Schrijf

Schrijf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The smaller Harmony models have a very poor IR modulation range while the 885 series does offer mediocre performance. A quote from the 525 thread:

"There are more differences between the 885 and the 525: the Harmony 5xx series have very poor specifications regarding the IR frequencies it can control and send. For IR control the 525 is only capable of controling devices that use IR modulation between 24-70 KHz range. That means no control for e.g.

- low frequency protocols, e.g. Blaupunkt and Siemens have various remotes that use frequencies between 16 and 20 KHz)

- no IRDA (often used by Pace cableboxes)

It cannot control equipment that use frequencies above the 70 KHz, e.g.

- all B&O equipment after 1986 (455 KHz)

- some of the Kenwood audio receivers that use a 455 KHz modulation

- Brionvega, Thomson, Saba, Telefunken, Nordmende equipment that use the Telefunkens IR protocols with 200 Khz or 400 KHz modulation (the 525 should be able to control most of the models of these brands that use the Thomson's R2000 protocol)

- Sony VisionTouch series and some of the Pioneer Elite series that use frequencies up to 1020 KHz

The Harmony 885 has better specs and can at least send signals with 455KHz modulation, which means that some of the above models that are included in their database can be controled. However, it cannot learn these signals and most of these models are not correctly in their database. Also it is not compatible with e.g. the Sony VisionTouch series.

So the 885 is better (but also more expensive) than the 525, but it is still no match for my old One For All URC-7560 which is a £30 remote from 1999 that can control IR ranges from 10-1020 KHz and can not only send, but also learn High Frequencies IR protocols."

When doing a test drive with a 5xx, 6xx or 7xx series remote and you enter the modelnumber for e.g. a Pace IRDA cable box or enter one the very few high frequency models that Logitech can control, you will get a message that you have to buy a 885 instead.

(and in case you enter a model that Logitech cannot control, you get a 'we cannot control it and as far as we know there is no other universal remote that can control it, despite they know better :mad: )

However, for your TV and speaker system the 785 should be fine.

7. nicky napkins

nicky napkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the 555 should cover everything?? Is it worth getting a more expensive one? Nicky (thanks)

8. nicky napkins

nicky napkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where is the best place to buy a 555 in London..

I want to get one tomorrow... any ideas??