Logitech G51 / X-540 questions

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Gemini-Phoenix, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have been thinking about getting some new speakers for my PC, and really like the look of the Logitech G51 package:

Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speaker System: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

[​IMG]

The thing is, I don't think I have a 5.1 soundcard (I only have three coloured ports instead of six), but I really want these speakers. Does anyone know whether or not I can still use them (Albeit not as 5.1 but rather 2.1) with a standard PC soundcard set-up? Or are they strictly for PC's which have 5.1 soundcards? Can I just use two of the speakers and the sub?

The alternative would be the Logitech X-540's:

Logitech X-540 Multimedia Speaker System: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

[​IMG]

But out of the two, I would rather have the G51's.

At the moment I have been using an old Denon receiver and a pair of Celestion speakers underneath the desk, plus the standard OEM speakers that came with my VAIO (Which are quite poor) - But unfortunately the receiver is on its way out, and i'm getting a bad distorted sound from the speakers, so decided to invest in a set of proper PC speakers.

I don't mind paying extra money for quality, and out of the two I prefer the overall aesthetics of the G51's, but i'm worried that if I ordered them they would not be compatible with my set-up, and as a result I woudl have to be forced to swap them for the X-504's

I'm not very knowledgeable about surround sound set-up's though, and I don't really know what to expect from the ports, or whether they can be split to work as just Stereo speakers, or whether they are designed to be connected as a 5.1 system only

Any help by any existing owners of either set would be appreciated. Cheers

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Since posting, I have decided that the X-540's just aren't for me. I've also decided to invest in a decent 5.1 sound card for my PC, which leaves me now with a very hard decision - It's now a choice between the G51's or the Z5500's...

I like the design of the G51's, but the Z5500's are so much more powerful, and everybody seems to be upgrading from G51's or X-540's to the Z550's, so they much be good! Plus, they have so much more connectivity potential!

The only thing is, i'm not too sure I have space for such a huge sub, and i'm really not keen on the speaker designs compared to the G51's - Are the Z5500's really such a good investment? Money isn't a factor, but I do like to feel like I am getting more bang for my buck

One question - How loud can you physically crank these without blowing the speakers? Are there any quality issues with high volumes? Will I notice distorted noise and breaking up of the sound at high volume?

3. morphus888

morphus888
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,

If you have the money to buy a Z5500 kit, don't hesitate, it's the best all in one 5.1 kit on PC. It include remote, decoder and is really powerfull ( your neighboorhood will know that you have bought a new toy ^^ ).

But, you also have to think about the possibilities to buy a external amp and to connect it to your computer. You will have a beter sound for the same price....

4. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I received my Z5500 kit this afternoon! The sub was a lot bigger than I had expected it to be! Lol! But... As I was unpacking the kit, the last satellite speaker I unpackaged was broken inside the box! I was not amused!

[​IMG]

As you can see, the speaker stand was snapped off entirely.

For such a good quality piece of kit, it's let down by cheap and nasty speaker stands. And to think that these are supposed to be wall mountable as well!!! I certainly wouldn't trust something so cheap and fragile to support the weight of these speakers!

Rather than contacting the distributor (A third party seller from Amazon), I've eMailed Logitech directly as they will most probably be able to replace the single speaker, as I really don't want to be packaging the whole kit up again! Besides, it is only logical to replace the broken component rather than the entire set

5. Repton

Repton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    That is shoddy packaging indeed!
    Were the speakers wrapped and packed with polystyrene so it doesn't move in the box?

Have you had a play with the setup? How does it sound?

6. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The speakers were packed in their wall-mounted position, wrapped in poly bags, and then packaged inside a cardboard box. I would imagine that this speaker was outward facing, and the slightest of pressure from outside of the box would have been enough to shatter the cheap plastic connector. If the box was dorpped or stored upright, then that would have been enough of a shock to break it

No, I have not had a play with the set-up yet as i've had to repackage it all up for return - Which is stupid, because you would think that Logitech would have a few spare Satellite speakers lying around from a previous return, and would just exchange the faulty component rather than the whole package under warranty

So right now I am very angry, especially considering how much of a headache this whole thing has been - What with the choosing of the right speakers, and then trying to find a sound card that's compatible etc... And now this!

7. morphus888

morphus888
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,

Bad luck on this time ^^, i hope this small problem will not prevent you from enjoy this wonderfull product.

Must say i'm surprised, logitech are know for their good quality....really bad luck...i got a 5500 and 'm really happy with it ....

+

8. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm sure the performance is amazing, but they seemed to have cut a few corners with their stand design, which is a shame because the control centre unit has a nice metal stand, yet the satellite speakers have cheap shoddy plastic ones.

I think the design flaw is mostly the fact that they are joined to the speakers and not detachable, plus the joins are quite weak - I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of wall mounting them now, especially with how much each speaker weighs. If those stands were made of metal, then they would've been so much stronger and nicer looking!

I phoned up the place where I ordered them from today and they said they would send out a new set, so i'm hoping they'll arrive tomorrow. I have boxed up the set I already have (Harder than it sounds!), although I am quite annoyed that I wasted all that time unpacking them last week, only to have to waste more time repacking them - When only one unit is affected! It would make more sense to just replace the speaker that's affected rather than the whole lot.

I'm just awaiting confirmation of a courier to take the broken set away, which I hope is after the new set has arrived - Just in case there are any problems with the new set, I can always switch the components around so at least I have a complete working set, but let's all hope it doesn't come down to that!

First track I will be playing to test these babies out will be Meat Loaf's seminal 'Bat Out Of Hell' - There's nothing better I can think of that would do speakers like this justice! (Although I do think Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' may have to be the second track played!)

9. morphus888

morphus888
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a bad choice for the first track.
    Personnaly , i played "nothing else matter " from metallica and the second one was AC/DC ...was like an earthquake ..^^

10. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    Having just had a fault on my logitech's (z2300's) it was the same request to return the complete set.

I had a fault on the subwoofer for the left speaker only. It was amazon who sent out a full new set and asked return of the complete faulty set.

Looks to be standard to return the whole thing rather than just the faulty parts.

11. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    'Sweet Child Of Mine' and 'Welcome To The Jungle' are two of my favourites for playing loud!

For good bass, Limp Bizkit's 'Break Stuff' is amazing! If I ever wanted to make the neighbours **** their pants, i'd put on J-Lo's 'Jenny From The Block' at full volume - That track has the deepest bassline I can think of, and would make the whole street cack themselves! Lol.

...If and when I finally get this setup fully working...