1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logitech® Z-5500 Digital

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Xbox360_Junkie, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya guys

I just want to make an enquiry into the "Logitech® Z-5500 Digital" 5.1 speaker system. I would like to connect these speakers to both a DVD player an Xbox 360 (when i get one).

I know I'm going to have to connect the DVD player to the Digital SoundTouch™ Control Center via a Digital Coaxial cable. However, I'm a little confused on how to connect the console. According to the logitech website, i would have to connect the console to the Digital SoundTouch™ Control Center via a Digital Optical cable.

However, I don't think this would apply to me. After visiting the logitech website again, http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2,CONTENTID=9486, i noticed the following piece of information:

"Digital optical for DVD or CD players, PlayStation®2, Xbox®**", then further on down the page, as you will be able to see for yourselfs, logitech supply a key for the two astrix's "**". "** Requires Xbox® Advanced AV Pack or Xbox® High Definition AV Pack, sold separately". Well, if this is the case, ill already have this high definition cable from connecting the console to the back of my screen. The cable can be seen below:

http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11273&mid=327032

As you can see there are two connections for Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, one for right and one for left (white and red). Am i right in saying that i wont need a Digital Optical cable? And, if possible, could someone confirm that the Digital SoundTouch™ Control Center, supplied with the Logitech® Z-5500 Digital 5.1. surround system, does indeed feature a coaxial port and in addition, the two ports which would enable me to plug in the Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound outputs that will lead off from my xbox 360 high definition AVG AV cable.

EDIT

I just went on to the Xbox website, and found a detailed description of the Xbox 360 high definiition AVG AV cable:

"Showcase stunning Xbox 360 high-definition graphics on your PC monitor or HDTV using the VGA input. Play high-quality audio with the included Stereo connection or utilize the Optical Audio port for digital sound"

So, the two audio connections are standard stereo :mad: man that sucks! Does anyone know how i can "utilise the Optical Port for Digital Sound?" I didn't think the 360 had an optical audio port, seems as though it has!

Any help will be appreciated...

Many thanks in advance

2. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    The Xbox® Advanced AV Pack or Xbox® High Definition AV Pack mentioned on the Logitech website are for the original Xbox, where there is an optical digital out connection on the cable itself.

There will be similar cables for the Xbox 360. The console itself will not have an optical out, this will be found on the connector of either the Component HD AV Cable
    or the VGA AV Cable
    Both of these cables have the L and R (white and red) audio phonos aswell, but this will only produce stereo sound, which at best you could use with Dolby Pro-Logic (1 or 2).

Just make sure you get one of the cables listed above and you'll be able to connect it directly to the control center of the Logitech Z-5500 system through an optical cable (which you will probably have to buy separately) and you will be able to enjoy the best of Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround Sound from your Xbox360, in both games and movies etc.

The core system (£210) doesn't come with either of these cables, whereas the £280 system does come with the Component HD AV Cable; and if you don't have component on your TV I believe it will also come with a scart adapter.

So basically buy the £280 system and an optical cable (if it doesn't come with it) and your off! :clap: