Log Burner removal

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am interested in purchasing a property that has an existing log burner with flue that goes from lounge through corner of a bedroom and out through the roof. They have boxed the flue in the lounge and added a hearth to make it look like a proper fireplace. What kind of company would I need to contact for a quotation to remove this? It's in the Milton Keynes area.
Thanks.

Is it that you don't like the installation or is it that you wish not to have a wood stove and replace it with some thing different?
If you wanted an opinion on the installation I know a good company who install stoves if you wished it to be corrected.
Even a small 5kw stove pushes out the heat so was the need for a wood stove due to the property being cold I wonder.
I love my wood stove but I've a chimney in my property but to sit in front of one on a cold winters day is heart warming.

Is it that you don't like the installation or is it that you wish not to have a wood stove and replace it with some thing different?
If you wanted an opinion on the installation I know a good company who install stoves if you wished it to be corrected.
Even a small 5kw stove pushes out the heat so was the need for a wood stove due to the property being cold I wonder.
I love my wood stove but I've a chimney in my property but to sit in front of one on a cold winters day is heart warming.

I love stoves. But I need somewhere to put my 65 inch TV and bench and it wouldn't fit above it. It would be a shame to rip it out but the vendors would take the log burner itself anyway if we didn't want it. It's a negotiable item

Would you know what stove it is?

IMG_0478.jpg

Here you go. Hope I'm allowed to post a pic of someone else's house :)

That looks lovely. I would leave it and get another tv solution tbh

Ill take it if you want to get rid. Help you out to fit a useless electronic piece of junk :)

It's not ours. The offer hasn't been accepted on the house yet and they want extra money for the burner.

Don't want to sacrifice my new £4000 tv that we have saved up ages for to be honest. In an ideal world I would love both.

That's a Clearview Vision 500, that's a very nice stove and it's what I have and not one you want to remove. They are expensive stoves.
That will hold its value and out last you. It's also quite a large stove so there's a reason for that size stove and no electric or gas stove will have anywhere near the output.
Personally I would never fit the tv above it, the heat that stove gives out is insane and the brick work will be nice and cosy above it.
That stove and installation are worth much more than the tv, brick and mortar are good investments, consumables never.

Fit a big mantlepiece for heat deflection and a heat shield on the wall - you might find you can have both.
a 65" TV mounted at that height would be way too high for me at least.

Saying that, I wouldn't want to be without the stove, so I'd try anything to keep both

That's a Clearview Vision 500, that's a very nice stove and it's what I have and not one you want to remove. They are expensive stoves.
That will hold its value and out last you. It's also quite a large stove so there's a reason for that size stove and no electric or gas stove will have anywhere near the output.
Personally I would never fit the tv above it, the heat that stove gives out is insane and the brick work will be nice and cosy above it.

Thanks for the advice. I really wish I could keep both. I'm racking my brain to think of a solution.

Gotta agree with the others, there's no way I'd devalue the house that much for the sake of a television, and frankly the stove looks better.

I can't see the problem fitting the TV above it

Gotta agree with the others, there's no way I'd devalue the house that much for the sake of a television, and frankly the stove looks better.

I can't see the problem fitting the TV above it

It won't devalue it. They want an offer made for it separately not in the price of the house. The fire breast is only cheap board not a chimney. Maybe I can make a cinema room out of one of the bedrooms and then keep it :)

Thanks for the advice. I really wish I could keep both. I'm racking my brain to think of a solution.

I'm not surprised the owners would take it with them, they will last a life time and are one of the best stoves on the market.
I wonder if North Mill Stoves fitted it? I'm fairly local to you and they did mine.

I'm not surprised the owners would take it with them, they will last a life time and are one of the best stoves on the market.
I wonder if North Mill Stoves fitted it? I'm fairly local to you and they did mine.

Thanks. If my offer on the house is accepted I will phone them up to see if they can advice on a way to move it into the corner more.

I assume it's a Twin Wall prefab chimney going up, not a liner in a stack? If so then that Twin wall could be moved to the corner along with the stove and go through the ceiling and up depending on whats above the corner.

If you were thinking of offsetting the Flue i.e leaving the current ceiling penetration and taking the flue over further then this is also possible but there are rules on the offset such as travelling over at an angle no sharper than 45degrees and the diagonal of the offset should not exceed 20% of the overall effective height of the chimney/flue e.g a 5m flue can have max offset of 1m. If you're using the top outlet then 2 offsets are permitted max in the flue run and both of those combine towards the 20% rule, not 1m each in our example above.

Because of the 45 angle, you wouldn't get very far over.

Well I'm waiting for the offer on my house before I go to view the house again. I came up with the idea of keeping the burner and creating 2 zones in the sitting room. One for the tv watching and one primarily for watching the fire. I want to get some swivel reclining chairs so I can spin around towards the fire if I fancy. Not sure how this arrangement will look or even if it will work. The tv bench is behind a door and as long as I can get it a fair distance from it for opening the door it should be ok. One question though, I wonder why the paint is peeling behind the stove? How do you repair it because it's hard to get behind the pipe work to do it.

I never painted the inside, it's that fire thingy board stuff and is a devil to paint over.
The stove case can reach 650f which is very hot so normal paint can flake.
I'm not bothered what the inside looks like as it's a working stove and you have to annually touch up the stove and pipe joints with a black stove paint and seal the joint which I can see they have done.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom