Loftbox and Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by moid, Mar 15, 2006.

1. moid

moid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im moving into a newly built house which has a normal Ariel TV point in the lounge, 2nd bedroom and master bedroom.

At the moment there is no roof ariel and no sky dish.

I will be getting sky installed with the digibox sitting in the lounge plugged into my Plasma (scart).

The question is how do i transmit this sky signal to the other two bedrooms?

I assume the 3 tv points will originate from a box in the loft which would then connect to the ariel on the roof (if installed)

Can I use a loftbox to connect all 3 tv point together there. If so how does the sky signal get from the lounge downstairs up to the loftbox? Would plugging the RF out from the digibox transmit the signal through the existing TV point cabling in the walls up into the loftbox? If so would i then just need a magic eye connection in the bedrooms to change sky chanel?

I was then thinking of getting my TV ariel connected into the loftbox too. How would this signal reach the lounge? Can the existing cable in the wall both receive and transmit?

I have read a number of other posts on the subject but as you can tell I am still a little lost!!!

Thanks in advance.

2. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    it works like this you have a cable coming out of rf2 on sky box into the lof then it plugs into loftbox then goes down to the other rooms.

The cable from the arial will run down into the sky box not go into the loft.

3. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Actually the Loftbox does quite a bit more than that.

If you have a direct Aerail and Satellite feed to your main location you just need a UHF Amp that will pass Sky eye signals (Globals Amps are F or T120,140,180 and 280's)

If all your aerail and dish feeds go into the loft and then a seperate two feeds down to the main lounge point then a loftbox is what you need.

4. RobertM

RobertM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moid,

Wired up my brother-in-laws place last year and installed a Philex 4 way SLx4 loftbox. Sat dish & UHF arial straight into loft box, RF2 back to loftbox from decoder, then one cable to each extra room. Used proper screened wall plates, Ftype connectors and double screened CT100 cable throughout. Picture quality is superb in all bedrooms, dining room & lounge. Also used TVlinks to allow remote control to change sky channels over in any room. Have a look at http://www.satcure.co.uk. Loads of info.

Do it ! you will be glad you did !

Rob

5. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If you use wall plates from what I have read you cant use magic eyes they stop the current or somthing passing

6. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Only some faceplates stop the power passing to the Eye.

This was due to a building reg that was in place to stop people being electricuted by faulty equipment shoving 230v up the coax.

It has been relaxed a bit now, so you can buy Non-Isolated, but Sheilded wall plates that do pass power.

Chris

7. moid

moid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - but I'm still lost!

If I have the sky box in the lounge (wire running down the outside of the house from the dish striaght into the lounge) how does the sky signal get to the loftbox to transmit it to the other tvs?

8. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    if its like my house then the cables from the sockets in th eroomms will be lying loose in the loft. The sat dish is obviously connected. so you have a few options
    1 send the sky picture to any room by connecting the rfout2 to the other aerial socket and get in the loft and joins the cables together.
    2 same as 1 but get a dist amp and put it in the loft and connect the rooms to it
    3 same as 2 but get a new terrestial aerial inastalled with a cable through the wall the to the sky box that way you hanve normal tele and sky in every room

Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote

9. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    send me a pmm and I''llsend you a diag of how to do it and where to buy the bits

10. moid

moid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - so I have tried to come up with the easiest method of doing this, and came up with the attached picture.

It does mean that no normal ariel tv will be in the lounge but thats ok. It also means no new wires to go anywhere (other than the sky install)

Do you see any problems with it?

And more importantly what equipment (other than the loftbox itself) would I need i.e. faceplates etc

Attached Files:

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The TV signal from the aerial is fed directly down to the room where the Sky box is, where it is plugged into the RF input of the Sky box. A return cable from the RF2 output on the box goes up to the loft box, where the aerial feed + the output from the Sky box can be disributed to other rooms. If desired, the output from the RF1 output on the Sky box can be fed to a TV or a VCR in the same room.

12. moid

moid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but this would mean having to put another wire up through the whole house (from the lounge to the loft).

Would it not be possible to use the existing coax point in the lounge as a rf out only (for the sky signal only) and not have normal ariel tv in the lounge?

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes you could, but adding the aerial feed to the Sky feed for the other rooms would be harder (assuming you want aerial feeds, of course).

14. moid

moid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it not just be a case that the loftbox will then distribute a mixture of the satellite and ariel feeds down to the other tvs? In which case I would simply need to tune in these tvs to the seperate signals?

What are the complications you mentioned?

15. moid

moid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between a loftbox and a digital amplifier?

Is it purely that the amp will only handle one signal source (i.e. only sky or only normal tv) whereas the loftbox allows a combination of sources?

16. alistaln

alistaln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Check the FAQ (see sig below) for more on these sorts of areas...