Question Loftbox and Sky Q - Cabling question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by NLP313, Feb 5, 2018.

1. NLP313

NLP313
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I live in a new-ish build house which was set up with a Loftbox and TV points around the house meaning I don't have a normal aerial socket anywhere. I've recently had Sky Q installed and it has to connect directly, bypassing both the loftbox and the triplex faceplate behind the TV. This means it can no longer split to provide terrestrial tv and the cctv feed to the main tv and also can't send the return back to the other sockets. I've been trying to understand how it is all set up and what the options are but it's quite confusing!

What are my options? Run an extra coaxial cable to the triplex faceplate? Run an extra cable(s) from the sky dish and use the existing cable(s) for the triplex faceplate?

Is this fixable or are all the tv points redundant now that I have Sky Q?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    The ‘USP’ of Sky Q is you connect the main box to your Dish plus Broadband and then add wireless or wired Mini’s to deliver independent HD in multiple Zones.

Joe

3. NLP313

NLP313
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Joe. Yes, I'm aware that I could have minis in the other rooms but I'd like to solve how to get normal tv and my CCTV feed to the tv points rather than paying Sky for additional services to get what I had the ability to have before. I guess that's how Sky continue to make money though!

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    Sky Q - the additional Sub is £12/month and the Mini's are a one-off £99 each.

It sounds like you are possibly mixing up two separate issues.

Sky Q - has no RF Out so your Options are to Split it's HDMI Out and then convert one Output to RF to allow you to run that over an RF Distribution network to multiple TV's (all viewing the same Sky channel as the Main Box). Controlling the SKY Q Box may can an issue.

If you want to deliver UHD (2160p50 with HDCP 2.2) to the Main Zone TV splitting and converting to RF could be tricky without first dropping the signal which is gong to the RF Modulator to 1080i.

Can get quite pricey.

Sky (RF), Freeview and CCTV - if you have a Loftbox. Faceplate(s) and TV points you are going to have to try and work out what you are working with if you want to deliver Sky (RF), Freeview and CCTV to all TV's.

Joe

5. NLP313

NLP313
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your help but I think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to achieve or maybe I wasn't clear enough. I just want to reinstate the feed from the loftbox to the main tv so that terrestrial (freeview), and if possible the CCTV feed, is available at the main tv and also at the other tv sockets. I don't need Sky in any other rooms, although I'm aware this was an option with the way the Loftbox was originally set up and that it's an option if I get Sky Q minis.

I know the Loftbox has two coaxial cables running from it to the main faceplate. These connected to a faceplate and I was able to get sky, terrestrial tv and the cctv feed. The faceplate also has a return cable going back to the loftbox and the loftbox then splits this to the other tv sockets (sending the sky channel I was on, freeview and the cctv feed). With Sky Q, the engineer has had to disconnect the sky feeds from both the loftbox and the faceplate so that there is now no feed for terrestrial tv and CCTV to the faceplate which means it cannot return to the loftbox to distribute around the house. As mentioned in my first post, I think my options are to either run an extra coaxial from the loftbox to the faceplate (leaving the Sky Q separate) or run an extra coaxial directly from the sky dish and reinstate the connection on the loftbox with one of the existing cables.

I plan to get an engineer to come and have a look but I just wanted to get an idea of possible solutions to help save investigation time and therefore costs!

Thanks for your help though,
    Nicola

6. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Can you confirm how you say the cables have been disconnected?

The two cables running from the loft to the lounge are now only used for Sky Q? How has he managed to achieve this. Normally you might have something like this

[​IMG]
    Just trying to work out how he did as the cables wouldn't have been long enough etc. and it would be a bit messy having more joints in cables etc.

7. dave77

dave77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    It sounds like the Sky engineer should not have touched the faceplate and just wired it through the wall as normal (maybe to a new seperate faceplate eventually), leaving your loftbox setup alone. Was this not an option?

8. NLP313

NLP313
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @ChuckMountain - He's disconnected the two cables from the back of the faceplate and connected them directly to the cables that go into the back of the Sky box. There was enough flex in them, although I will have to replace the faceplate with one of those brush ones. At the Loftbox he's disconnected one or two cables (not sure) and has connected them directly rather than through loft box - very bad photo/diagram here - loftbox

@dave77 Yes he could have run an extra cable from the sky dish but he'd already been there for 3 hours so I think he was quite happy when it worked when he connected it directly and didn't know/think of the consequences. I was happy not running a cable as the position of my dish means it would have to go basically around the whole house but didn't know that this would "break" the rest of the system. I know a lot more about Loftboxes now!

Thanks for your replies :)

9. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Ok could be promising via the photo.

So do you have 3 cables going to the lounge? Two now used for Sky Q one still connected to the Return feed ?

So what I am thinking if the above is true then take the return from the lounge and connector to one of the spare outputs, say the one next to the kitchen one.

Then make up\buy a cable with male F type connector ends and connector from the top 2nd from left to was what the lounge return.

That way you are bypassing the return Sky feed to the lounge but since Sky Q doesn't have RF out that isn't a problem.

Then you would connect the lounge TV to the Sky return connector and it should then pick up freeview and CCTV as before. No need to pay an installer as you should be able to pick up a cable from anywhere.

10. NLP313

NLP313
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @ChuckMountain Yes, there are three cables to/from the lounge - 2 Sky and one return. I was wondering if I could make use of the third one some how but wasn't sure how to do it! That makes a lot of sense now and I will try that out. Thank you so much!

11. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Excellent my approach should work and restore normal TV and CCTV to lounge + rest of rooms.

Once it is working if you want to tidy it up you can buy a Euro module with a brush plate outlet for Sky Q, one coax module and one BT module in a double socket like this

[​IMG]

12. NLP313

NLP313
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @ChuckMountain THANK YOU SO MUCH! It's worked and I now have freeview and cctv back to all sockets (I assume, I've only checked the kitchen and lounge). I'm so pleased. Thank you again!