Question Loftbox 4 way wiring query

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Paul2408, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Paul2408

Paul2408
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I hope you can help. I have an apartment with a communal aerial - satellite (1 feed), terrestrial and FM which I think comes into my apartment comms box as one feed. I have a loftbox in the same location

At the main tv there is a triplex with sat, tv and return. There are 2 other tv points - just single coax points. There is also a fm point near to the cabling for whole house audio

My question is the wiring of the loftbox looks odd as it seems to have a separate modular triplexer in the same location - I have attached a drawing the labelling is as per the cables. Why is it wired like this and also I wonder if the labels on the lounge and feed maybe the wrong way round ?

[​IMG]

Do I need it wired as it is - I would like to tidy up if possible to make space in the comms box for cat5 patch panel and router as it was designed for - home network sciences comms panel

The installer is long gone and current maintainer of communal system not helpful

Any help would be great

Thanks

Paul

2. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    Not seeing get the image (on a smart phone anyway)

Inspired guess.. the return is intended for you to add a TV picture from say a sky or satellite box in the main lounge. . The main rf comes down that on coax with the sat & what sounds like fm/dab .. it should then go through a sky/ Sat box & the rf output back up the return with the modulated picture from the box so it can be distributed to all tvs

If you don't do that you can use a small loop coax between tv & return to keep the rf going to the other tvs to get freeview

3. Paul2408

Paul2408
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now attached file

Attached Files:

4. Paul2408

Paul2408
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for any ideas

5. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    How are the two sat connections wired together from the 1st wall plate to the second wall plate?

The overall diag doesn't quite look right.. is there something missing or I've missed.. the feed coming in from the dish / aerial for example .. the wiring on the return?

6. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +778
    I think it's a single input from the communal system coming in at the top of the page into what looks like the 'living room' connector between the Sat and the DAB connectors. Still a bit weird though. Which is pretty much what the OP has said.

7. Paul2408

Paul2408
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. I think I will check the cables come from and go to where the labels on them say they do. Could the triplexer that is next to the loftbox be splitting the incoming feed from the communal system to go into the loftbox to be combined into single lead to go to lounge triplexer ?

8. Paul2408

Paul2408
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Does my thought above make sense ?

Cheers

9. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    It does if you are referring to the signal for Freeiew. .You can split that, but you can't easily split satellite, so if that's been done, you need to sort that out. You or they can join satellite with freeiew (to save a cable run really) & with dab/FM hence the triplex plate to split it again... if that's helped .. but the diag didn't look right re the above

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 7:37 AM
  10. Paul2408

Paul2408
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks having looked again I think the communal feed into the apartment is a single cable which must contain dab/fm and terrestrial/free view and satellite. This then goes into a triplexer that is in the same cupboard as the loftbox with cables coming off that into the loftbox as per the diagram

I assume this is coming from a switch located in the comms room for the building

Is this normal approach ? Would a photo help

11. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    It makes more sense, that that triplex wall plate is in a cupboard with the rf distribution amp & not in a lounge so the Sat isn't split ..

but the diag still doesn't look quite right. The main feed coming in goIng into the rf amp labeled lounge ?

I can see it working if the main feed (from the main multiswitch) goes to the triplex wall plate, the split sat feed then sent to the lounge as is, the rf sent to the rf distribution amp and so all tvs get freeview & maybe dab FM

Or if the rf amp has its own diplex to use that so it takes sat & rf & splits it in the lounge

Or.. as there's a return, the Sat & rf are sent to the lounge, split via the wall plate's diplex, the rf loops through the rf on say a sky box or sat box with a modulator like a TM .. then sent back to the rf amp on te return via a 2nd coax though ..then all rooms receive freeview & the channel sky or a sat box is on (& maybe dab fm)

I think the diag might be either wrong or its wired wrong

12. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +778
    I think that's what Paul suspects.

13. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    Maybe someone changed things round at some point . With rf you can wire things not quite right and with the nature of rf signals .. it still kinda works sort of ..

@Paul2408 .. what make model is the loft box

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 10:00 PM
  14. Paul2408

Paul2408
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Global loftbox 4 way

15. Paul2408

Paul2408
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now worked out that the cable marked feed is actually the one going to the triplexer in the lounge so that’s correct the triplexer in the cupboard adjacent to the loftbox I assume is splitting the feed that then goes into the loftbox

Does this make sense and is that triplexer required or is there another way to deal with the incoming feed and linking it to a loftbox to distribute it into the apartment

16. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    if it's a good quality triplxer wall plate then it will do the job, you can use inline gear but you've already got what you need, the only improvement would be all f connectors which is better & if the existing wall plate triplexer is not well screened... you can make it x amount cleaner but I think you are already there.

The Global RF amp is a good quality one, I use them.