loft room basic install

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by gaz2810i, Jan 14, 2008.

1. gaz2810i

gaz2810i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +437
    I've recently moved house and i've re-housed my 42" Pio and HC Gear into the loft room. However i am as yet to connect upto the speaker set up and decorate the room. I have'nt got much time an money at the moment (new house kid and car all at the same time) so just need to do the basics and work with the room as it is. I have placed the TV (sat on a Piano black Atacoma Equinox AV unit) immediately below the sloaping wall, central to the room, with a Chocloate (can be reversed to be cream colour) foam Futoun directly opposite. I need to keep the carpet which as med shade of blue. Any advice on clour schemes for walls? Also my speakers are black and will be placed on stands either side of the wall mounted at the sides (at seeating area). Other than a small dvd unit nothing else is planned for the space.

So i guess in a long winded way i need to ask 2 questions.

1. What colour do people feel i should paint the wall and ceilings (bearing in mind the wall behind the TV is sloaped to the ceiling without any obvious divider)?
    2. How at best should hide the wire to the surround speakers without doing any wall re-modelling?

Also I have two velux windows which currrently have light blue bilinds which let a lot of light into the room. Does anybody know of a better solution.

I guess that was actually three questions any how cheers in advance.

Gary

2. Sawdust

Sawdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I can't really help with your question about colours but I have a loft setup and found it very easy to run the cables thorugh holes in the walls, along the eaves and back out where the equipment is. This didn't require any major wall destruction!

Velux do blinds for their windows. Have a look on their website, there is a form to fill in with the serial number from the window. They will then supply a blind which fits perfectly. They aren't cheap but the one I have works really well.

Cheers
    Mike

3. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I can answer this one.

I have 3 velux windows in my cinema room and I ordered the cream black out blinds from a Velux dealer. They are easy enough to install and they really are "black out" blinds, they really do the trick and make the room very dark.

I can take a few pictures if you want and can show them, just follow my link and you can see my velux.

4. gaz2810i

gaz2810i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +437
    I don't suppose you could go into a little more detail regarding how exactly you did this. Honestly i am rubbish at all this home mod stuff.

Also cheers to you both about the velux blinds, I have looked at them and I just need to convine the missus that they are a worthwhile purchase.

Anybody got any suggestions regarding colours for a home cinema...whats best, I've had suggestions regarding grey, Dark blue and red what do people think... does it really matter?

5. Sawdust

Sawdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you look at my pics, the speakers are at the front and the gear at the side. What I did was run some thin trunking along the bottom of the skirting board; this kind of thing:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/91385...-16-x-16mm;jsessionid=DIVIT4ITOMNMYCSTHZOCFFI

It comes on a roll, is easy to cut with a knife or small hacksaw and has a self adhesive back to stick to the wall.

When I got to the corner, I drilled through the skirting into the eaves and used these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/82483...ess-10m-Pk;jsessionid=DIVIT4ITOMNMYCSTHZOCFFI

for pulling cables through. I din't bother being too tidy with the cable in the eaves, just keep it out of the way of where you might need to stand, otherwsie it can be damaged.

I made cabinets and fitted them into holes in the eaves to hold all the gear but if you are just using a rack, drill through again behind the rack and pull the cables through.

Just be careful not to drill through any mains cables or plumbing otherwise the project gets a LOT bigger!

Cheers
    Mike