Loft insulation

Scaletail

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I got to thinking about loft insulation.
I have a twenty year old house, it came with the pink stuff ( presumably fibreglass), loft insulation, laid in between the rafters, not covered over. Does anyone know, is this product is safe?
It's not great to handle, would cause irritation, but is it actually hazardous?
Ie, could it cause airborne pollutant, or degrade over time?
Any experts who know?
I hear about scammers for insulation, so I just want advice, not a complete re insulation quote.

Loft insulation is made from a variety of different materials, including fiberglass, rock wool, and cellulose fiber. While all of these materials are considered safe, there is some concern about fiberglass insulation in particular.

Fiberglass is made from tiny glass fibers, and when it is disturbed, these fibers can become airborne and be inhaled. Inhaling fiberglass particles can cause irritation to the lungs and respiratory system. As a result, it is important to take precautions when handling loft insulation, such as wearing a dust mask and gloves.

In most cases, however, the risk of exposure to fiberglass is low, and loft insulation remains a safe and effective way to improve the energy efficiency of your home.

I have a twenty year old house, it came with the pink stuff ( presumably fibreglass), loft insulation, laid in between the rafters, not covered over. Does anyone know, is this product is safe?
It's not great to handle, would cause irritation, but is it actually hazardous?
Ie, could it cause airborne pollutant, or degrade over time?
Any experts who know?
I hear about scammers for insulation, so I just want advice, not a complete re insulation quote.

I was in a similar position when we moved into our bungalow 15 years ago, namely 4" pink fibreglass between the rafters.

Since much thicker insulation is required these days, the obvious answer is to leave it in place and add a 150mm (or more) layer of rockwool at 90 degrees over the rafters, thus sealing in the fibreglass.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom