Loft installation

dave46

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi to all...
I am wanting to install a Sky HD+ box into my loft and split the signal output to two rooms so that the picture is the same on both TVs. The problem I am having is to change channels. I know I can use a Magic Eye but this won't give me HD. So... is it possible to split the HDMI cable to the two TVs along with the satellite cable split with a 2-way signal splitter then using the RF2 split to feed into a Magic Eye? I am hoping this will give me full control over the channels in the two rooms and also give me full HD too.
The Sky box needs to stay in the loft. Many thanks in advance for all your assistance...

I know I can use a Magic Eye but this won't give me HD.

The Magic Eye has absolutely nothing to do with signal quality, HD or SD.

So... is it possible to split the HDMI cable to the two TVs

Yes, with the right equipment.

.. along with the satellite cable split with a 2-way signal splitter

You cannot "split" a satellite cable. If you mean can you split the RF2 cable to enable two Eyes to control the Sky box, then yes, so long as you maintain DC integrity.

is it possible to split the HDMI cable to the two TVs along with the satellite cable split with a 2-way signal splitter
Let's get the second part of that right - you don't mean satellite cable, you mean an aerial-type cable from the PVR's RF2 Out socket, right?
As S N says, "magic eyes" are not about sending the channel - they're for getting the remote control back to the PVR.
For that, as he hints, the more complex the cabling and connections are, the more unreliable they get.
You could do the same thing without any wiring, by using IR extenders for the remote control instead.
The difficult and expensive part though is "split the HDMI cable".

Last edited:
I bow to your better knowledge...
to split the HDMI signal I wish to use one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270552526327?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
to each TV from the Sky box.
I stand corrected on the second part, to split the signal from the RF2 I plan to use one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-WAY-SPLITTER-TV-CABLE-NTL-SKY-VIRGIN-SATELLITE-COAX-/110665414000?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item19c42c3570
with a coax running to each TV with a Magic Eye on each end.
I am hoping this will enable me to run one Sky box to two TVs and also allow me to change channels also. If this isn't the ideal solution what would you suggest? Again many thanks...

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I would suggest that neither of these is suitable/appropriate.

Read up some more on these forums.

Yes I can see the benefit of these compared to my suggestion. And by using the Magic Eye IR extender i can still swap channels correct? Thank you!

Magic Eyes will work with "DC pass through". (Though how you deal with contention issues is your problem :laugh:)

Worth noting that if you connect your TV aerial to the Sky box you'll get regular TV piped through the RF2 connections along with the remote control signals.

Thanks for the heads up on that but I will only be wanting to push Sky through the two TVs. Didn't think it would be so difficult to push Sky into two TVs from the loft and still change channels! Sounded quite simple from the offset...

to split the HDMI signal I wish to use one of these
to split the signal from the RF2 I plan to use one of these
I am hoping this will enable me to run one Sky box to two TVs and also allow me to change channels also.
If this isn't the ideal solution what would you suggest?
I have one of those HDMI ones in my junk box - that's what it immediately turned out to be.
HDMI is much more complicated than other things, and doesn't like being split, by anything!
The RF one might be all right, a stage up from the basic Y-splitter that I would have suggested.
On the other hand it might block the IR remote control from the "magic eyes".
HDMI splitters are unreliable in general and specifically so with Sky machines.
If you're lucky and find one that works with yours then that will enable you to do what you want.
My solution would be to do without HD in one of the rooms and use one of the other connections for that, and to forget about "magic eyes" and use IR Extenders instead.

hdmi will split fine using a good quality powered splitter and rf2 into a compatible 2 way amp will also work fine ! remember if you buy cheap crap be prepared to waste your money :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just go down the SCART Video Sender route it appears is somewhat easier :)

Why didn't I think of that? :laugh:

True, however this is a compromise etween the possible and relatively impossible. The amount of time I will spend watching TV in the office and bedroom I can live without HD. Thanks for all your help anyway...

Wouldnt it be easist to buy a HD wireless transmitter and two HD receivers?
Probably not cheapest.

Certainly not the cheapest! The OP's suggested route, (with the correct equipment), is far simpler and will provide better quality.

Yes definitely not cheap, though I have a plan...

The Sky box I am planning to put in the attic is the DRX890-C. Taking the casing off I located the IR Module here:

Attachments

• EDG_0286.JPG
    EDG_0286.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 64
By unsoldering the Module from the PCB and soldering wires in its place I can feed the extension to the bedroom and/or office and still keep HD. Reckon it will cost me about £5 max :)

What has the IR module to do with HD?:confused:

Ha nothing... it's been a very long day. A cheaper IR Extender though. Thanks for your help with this by the way...

I know what you mean and how you feel - and thanks for that. :hiya:

By unsoldering the Module from the PCB and soldering wires in its place I can feed the extension to the bedroom and/or office and still keep HD. Reckon it will cost me about £5 max :)

The wires will probably need to be in a screened cable.

Yes, fortunately that's all I had available. Works fine and very unobtrusive too...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom